Tricky license dilemma

Guys,

I'm in a serious bind. I've been working at a small derm practice in MD for two years. Recently I started thinking about switching jobs and many of the opportunities are in VA. However, to get a VA license (which I could have easily gotten right after graduation, but didn't), my supervising physician needs to fill out and sign a form, which they must then send to the VA board for review. My physician would not be one to take kindly to that sort of request if I ask directly.  She is... well, let's just say not the easiest person to deal with. I've been pondering my options and the best I can come up with is to ask under the pretext that I want to take on part-time gigs in VA on weekends. At least that way she won't automatically assume that I want to leave.

What else can I do? I've been kicking myself for not getting the VA and DC licenses right after graduation... Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Guys,
I'm in a serious bind. I've been working at a small derm practice in MD for two years. Recently I started thinking about switching jobs and many of the opportunities are in VA. However, to get a VA license (which I could have easily gotten right after graduation, but didn't), my supervising physician needs to fill out and sign a form, which they must then send to the VA board for review. My physician would not be one to take kindly to that sort of request if I ask directly.  She is... well, let's just say not the easiest person to deal with. I've been pondering my options and the best I can come up with is to ask under the pretext that I want to take on part-time gigs in VA on weekends. At least that way she won't automatically assume that I want to leave.
What else can I do? I've been kicking myself for not getting the VA and DC licenses right after graduation... Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Wouldn’t your SP be your new one, not the old one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would assume OP is wanting to get his/her VA license before applying to jobs to make him/her-self a better applicant.
Unfortunately I don't have a great answer for your OP other than to recommend calling the VA PA group and ask questions.
Maybe so but I'm guessing people move to VA all the time for jobs and have to apply for a VA license.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Oof I feel for you on this. I'm in a similar bind, and I haven't found a straightforward solution yet.

I would agree with others who have said either 1) wait until you find a new position and have the new SP sign the form or 2) tell your current SP you have a PRN gig in VA one weekend a month or something. It sucks not being honest, but this is a difficult situation where you obviously don't want to jeopardize your standing in your current position.

5 minutes ago, MediMike said:

Yeah Virginia requires a letter of reference from everywhere you've ever worked, signed by your SP. That's a little ridiculous.

One reason I've avoided VA for sure. I had a gig that lasted only three months and had a very odd relationship with my SP. Can't imagine reaching out to that person after years and asking for a reference.

11 hours ago, MediMike said:

Yeah Virginia requires a letter of reference from everywhere you've ever worked, signed by your SP. That's a little ridiculous.

Whhhhaaaaat? I'm.....speechless. I have heard a lot of crazy things made up by physicians but this is a cake topper.

I'd reach out to the state society and see if they have any suggestions. A wise man learns from his mistakes. A genius learns from somebody elses.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, MoneyDoctor said:

This is why  we need OTP.

Too bad VA is one of the states along with Texas that opposes OTP. 

Makes life CRAP for PA's there. What a crappy place to be a PA. Move to maryland or DC

There are other reasons I'd prefer not to live in Maryland or DC. Weather, taxes, politics, weather, congestion, traffic, weather, weather, weather. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/26/2020 at 9:57 AM, Cideous said:

Assine.

Does VA require that for NP's?

No. Not required for NP's.  VA also signed a bill in 2018 allowing independent practice for NP's after 5 full years of clinical practice.  

I live in VA and feel stupid, I had no idea they had such asinine requirements to get a license as I've had mine since graduation (and it was a breeze to get).  I knew this state was starting to piss me off.....   sigh...

I will say they no longer require PA's to submit a practice agreement detailing the involvement between them and their SP to the state board.   You just have to be prepared to give them your SP's name if they ever ask.