Missouri-2020-HB2226

https://legiscan.com/MO/text/HB2226/id/2105701/Missouri-2020-HB2226-Introduced.pdf
New legislative year. As NP, APRN have wording that indicate they are able to provide healthcare to fullest extent their training and licensure awarded by nursing board., PA’s wording lists specific allowed duties,(sounds like hand holding) and all the ways you are to assist physicians. Funny in the bill, it leaves only total of 6 PA’s or assistant physician  per physician but takes out limit of NP, APRN. Also, clearly states NO PA is allowed to be referred to as doc or any thing of the sort. Not that MS educated should, but I found no where that it makes statement about any form of Advance practice nurse. I am sure some how some where there are small steps for PA. Just seams like it is ALWAYS one small step for PA and one giant leap for NP. it is very hard to believe PA leaders really are trying to ensure a future for the thousands of new PA’s that are graduating with what Appear to be mislead hopes for a long bright future. 

I feel equal parts sad and angry for new PA's and those in the middle of their careers.  2020 is going to be a brutal year for us legislatively. While our fearless leaders are sitting around debating changing our name from Assistants to Associates....Oooooohhh so exciting! Bleh...

Nurse Practitioners are burying us at the state house.

"Assistant Physicians"?  Good grief. How many years have I been writing this same post.....ah well.  It's up to the next generation to save this profession where mine has so very much failed.  

2 hours ago, Hope2PA said:

it is very hard to believe PA leaders really are trying to ensure a future for the thousands of new PA’s that are graduating with what Appear to be mislead hopes for a long bright future. 

Trying? They don’t even believe you when you bring it up to them in the huddle. 

I feel everyone's frustration and occasional anger but I think its displaced. I am not in the inner circle but probably in close orbit. Let me promise you the leadership is plugged in and very aware of what is going on with us and the NPs. I had a conference call/board meeting last night with the PAFT board and we are continuing to discuss things like expansion of OTP, title change (which is probably more important than you may realize), a multi-state PA compact, and an idea birthed by PAFT called "Shared Liability and Responisbility". The AAPA leadership, to my examination, has a firm understanding of the risks the current state of disparity represents and it is making resources and funding available where it can do the most good as well as working on relevant issues at the national level. OTP has to happen state by state. AAPA is, among other things, working with national specialty societies, PA and physician, to expand the role of the PA and level the playing field.

So let me ask the same thing I always ask... what are YOU doing to help? Do you write letters and send emails when legislative activity is hot? Do you volunteer for your state, specialty, or national society? Do you give money to your state PAC or the AAPA PAC? What are you doing to help?

I say this not to shame anyone...OK maybe a little.... but if you aren't doing anything but complaining you are part of the problem and not part of the solution. Professional apathy plagues this profession. Sadly, complaining is actually a step above where I find most PAs which is totally clueless about any of the major forces affecting their professional lives.

If you want something to get done...do something. If you don't have time to serve in an elected position volunteer for a committee. If you don't have time to volunteer for a committee be available to write letters and emails when a response is needed. No time for that? Get your checkbook out. If every PA in the US wrote a $500 check to the PAC the landscape would change for us much much faster. We aren't really competing with the NPs legislatively so much as we are witnessing the difference between a huge, well organized, well funded group vs a much smaller and much less funded group.

Rant concluded. Please return to your usual programming.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, sas5814 said:

So let me ask the same thing I always ask... what are YOU doing to help? Do you write letters and send emails when legislative activity is hot? Do you volunteer for your state, specialty, or national society? Do you give money to your state PAC or the AAPA PAC? What are you doing to help?

I say this not to shame anyone...OK maybe a little.... but if you aren't doing anything but complaining you are part of the problem and not part of the solution. Professional apathy plagues this profession. Sadly, complaining is actually a step above where I find most PAs which is totally clueless about any of the major forces affecting their professional lives.

If you want something to get done...do something. If you don't have time to serve in an elected position volunteer for a committee. If you don't have time to volunteer for a committee be available to write letters and emails when a response is needed. No time for that? Get your checkbook out. If every PA in the US wrote a $500 check to the PAC the landscape would change for us much much faster. We aren't really competing with the NPs legislatively so much as we are witnessing the difference between a huge, well organized, well funded group vs a much smaller and much less funded group.

All good points. But I have to assume, most of the PAs palpably affected by this are new grads and/or fairly new PAs in the field. What voice does an unemployed new grad have other than speaking up? They could certainly donate more loan money, or continue to pay for memberships to AAPA/PAFT. Nothing short of speaking up should suffice at some point. However, I truly feel most don’t even speak up out of pure embarrassment.

2 hours ago, sas5814 said:

I feel everyone's frustration and occasional anger but I think its displaced. I am not in the inner circle but probably in close orbit. Let me promise you the leadership is plugged in and very aware of what is going on with us and the NPs. I had a conference call/board meeting last night with the PAFT board and we are continuing to discuss things like expansion of OTP, title change (which is probably more important than you may realize), a multi-state PA compact, and an idea birthed by PAFT called "Shared Liability and Responisbility". The AAPA leadership, to my examination, has a firm understanding of the risks the current state of disparity represents and it is making resources and funding available where it can do the most good as well as working on relevant issues at the national level. OTP has to happen state by state. AAPA is, among other things, working with national specialty societies, PA and physician, to expand the role of the PA and level the playing field.

Rant concluded. Please return to your usual programming.

Oh course I agree with this.  My point has always been that we have been fighting for a proper name change for 30 years and....nothing.  I honestly think that no one including legislators are going to take us seriously until our name is changed and includes "Practitioner" in it.  Not assistant and not associate.

If we can't agree on that....there is not much hope.

Organizations are all different. In PAFT our students board members are voting members. I am within a few years of retiring so very little of what I am doing will effect me. This is their profession for the next umpteen years and they should have a voice.

I understand not speaking up out of fear. It can seem intimidating to voice an opinion when orgs and boards are loaded with people who start  every comment with "I have been a PA for 40 years". But comments and opinions and questions should be encouraged from everyone regardless of where they are in their career and shame on anyone who gets snarky or belittles. I have been working in health care policy and politics for a long time and I learn so much from people with different experiences than I have. When I retired from the Army we were still in the "7 jobs for every PA" phase. Now things are very very different and I need to hear from everyone. Everyone in leadership needs to hear from everyone. 

Students are covered up trying to get through school and new grads needs jobs. I think everyone understand real life comes first. But I would encourage them all to do what they can when they can and let their participation evolve as theiy advance in their careers. I got tricked into being on a committee for my state org a long time ago and it was the start of a long run of working on policy and health care politics. If people get invloved early they have a greater chance of making positive changes and they may find they like it.

My greatest frustration is people who have enjoyed the benefits of this profession and all the changes and improvements and, not only have contributed absolutely nothing, but are blissfully unaware of how many people have done how much work to make their professional lives better.

Edited by sas5814
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sas5814 said:

title change (which is probably more important than you may realize) 

I am still amazed some people think title change is a waste of time. 

2 hours ago, sas5814 said:

yea... I completely agree but my sense is the profession doesn't have the chops for a dramatic change and we are going to move allllllll the way from assistant to associate. Blech.....

I trust the process of WPP title change investigation. If the study shows the general public can relate Physician Associate with  'A Medical professional, diagnose, treat, prescribe, serve as a principal healthcare provider ' (AAPA definition) then I have no problem with it.  But I highly doubt it. We need a name that clearly state we practice medicine, like Medical Care Practitioner. Associate is not too far off from assistant. If we going to change, we need it once, do it big and do it right. 

• Like 1

so......

if you are new, have no time or energy for letter writting or calling, or just lazy what to do????

Simple - send in $$$  

I give $25/m to AAPA and my state agency so that they can advocate for me

for about $2/d I am advocating for my profession....

if we have 140,000 PA and 25% of them did the same - $21 MILLION in funds to help sway the feds and the 50 state legislatures....

All for a few bucks a day.....   seems like a simple way to help out 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I said years ago that I would dual certify if there was ever a way to do it and just be a PA when that was easiest and be a NP when that was easiest. It was just pragmatic.

Maybe we need to suggest that to some high mucky mucks among NPs. Imagine the PR value alone! PAs are changing to NPs!!!! (while playing We Are The Champions at max volume).

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, sas5814 said:

I said years ago that I would dual certify if there was ever a way to do it and just be a PA when that was easiest and be a NP when that was easiest. It was just pragmatic.

Maybe we need to suggest that to some high mucky mucks among NPs. Imagine the PR value alone! PAs are changing to NPs!!!! (while playing We Are The Champions at max volume).

About a year ago I suggested this here and people lost their $hi!  I was being more provocative then anything but there is a lot of truth in it.  Today, if there was anyway to certify as an NP, I would do it in a heartbeat.  Their laws are just so much better than ours.  It's a no brainer.

Edited by Cideous
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, ventana said:

so......

if you are new, have no time or energy for letter writting or calling, or just lazy what to do????

Simple - send in $$$  

I give $25/m to AAPA and my state agency so that they can advocate for me

for about $2/d I am advocating for my profession....

if we have 140,000 PA and 25% of them did the same - $21 MILLION in funds to help sway the feds and the 50 state legislatures....

All for a few bucks a day.....   seems like a simple way to help out 

This was such a simple idea I don't know why it didn't occur to me before. I usually give the PAC a chunk of money when they ask me. Now I have signed up for a small, monthly, ongoing donation. I'll never even know it is gone.