The Official CORONAVIRUS oh *&^! thread. Time to start stocking up on food?

17 hours ago, SB23 said:

Currently the WA DOH can only run 200 labs a day. With UW medicine helping it will be bumped up to 300 a day. Still ridiculous for the whole state. I’m not Sure why it takes so long to run them but this is the dilemma we are dealing with. My sibling is a manager at Evergreen hospital (the initial hospital of the outbreak) she has had a fever of 103*f, SOB, and cough going on 9 days now. Cxr negative. They won’t test her so she’s quarantined  for now since she still has fevers and cough. It’s a mess  

Why won't they test her? Not enough testing capability?

Hope she gets well soon. Sorry to hear that.

• Administrator
55 minutes ago, Sed said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1149986

Contract worker for CDC doing medical screenings in LAX tested positive despite PPE. They didn't show symptoms until one week after last shift. 

Yeah, every time I see one of these I think that full airborne spread is the model that fits these facts best.  No indication that N95 will actually stop the spread, is there?

• Upvote 1

If tests were to allow, I'd love to see a prospective study comparing random "cold sx." patients who recovered uneventfully, those who are sx. and test positive, and random asx. patients.  What we need to know is the antibody positive rate for those non-sx. or simply "cold" patients.  My suspicion is the positive rate would be not insignificant in those who are asx. or had a "cold".

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

If tests were to allow, I'd love to see a prospective study comparing random "cold sx." patients who recovered uneventfully, those who are sx. and test positive, and random asx. patients.  What we need to know is the antibody positive rate for those non-sx. or simply "cold" patients.  My suspicion is the positive rate would be not insignificant in those who are asx. or had a "cold".

You know that's exactly what's going on right now.  There are thousands of Americans walking around with it right now with mild to no symptoms.

• Upvote 1

Just a reminder to not go to work if you're sick.

"But there's no one to cover my patients if I call in sick."

Yea, well you may be harming your patients (and coworkers) more just by being there.
I have a doc at work who sits next to me who's been recovering from a viral cough. Dry cough, no fever. She's wears a mask when she sees pts but no when she's in the office with me and the colleagues. [emoji36]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, rev ronin said:

Wish I wasn't serious. Still no respiratory issues.  Mild GI issues, no body aches, onset over all day, so it doesn't feel like influenza.

Gt well soon, Re. We still need our moderator and avid, PA full autonomy advocate around for a long long time in this our journey . 

Here's what work sent us:

Dear providers,

SFDPH issued a new lab criteria last night for testing patients.

This is essentially similar to the CDC guideline released on Feb 28th, except they are no longer using travel history as a criteria.

We will adopt CDC guideline in risk stratification when commercial kits are available hopefully next week.

Since there are limited kits, we cannot test everyone who ask for the test.

We should follow CDC or local DPH guideline.

We will work with our lab manager closely to use CDC criteria for testing.

Please call me if you have someone whom you are considering testing.

Criteria:

Fever1 o​r signs/symptoms of lower respiratory illness (e.g. cough or shortness of breath)AND

Any person, including healthcare workers2, who has

had close contact3 with a laboratory-confirmed4 

COVID-19 patient within 14 days of symptom onset

Fever1 and signs/symptoms of a lower respiratory illness (e.g., cough or shortness of breath) requiring hospitalizationAND

A history of travel from affected geographic areas5 

(see below) within 14 days of symptom onset

Fever1 with severe acute lower respiratory illness (e.g., pneumonia, ARDS) requiring hospitalization and without alternative explanatory diagnosis (e.g., influenza)6ANDNo source of exposure has been identified

China (Level 3 Travel Health Notice)

Iran (Level 3 Travel Health Notice)

Italy (Level 3 Travel Health Notice)

Japan (Level 2 Travel Health Notice)

South Korea (Level 3 Travel Health Notice)​

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Is anyone getting their CME and vacation restricted due to this? A colleague mentioned that if they do any high-risk overseas travel, they will have a mandatory quarantine period when they get back (time off comp'd by employer) and employers are asking providers to cancel attendance to large CME events (if unable to cancel fees and tickets, this will also comp'd by employer).

8 minutes ago, Sed said:

Is anyone getting their CME and vacation restricted due to this? A colleague mentioned that if they do any high-risk overseas travel, they will have a mandatory quarantine period when they get back (time off comp'd by employer) and employers are asking providers to cancel attendance to large CME events (if unable to cancel fees and tickets, this will also comp'd by employer).

Anecdotally, I have heard large hospital systems now barring ANY travel for their employees

Welp, it's in my neighborhood, there's probably 3 positive cases (only one 'presumptive' right now) in my town, two of them in my elementary school district (so within a mile or so of my house). Past few days (I'm in the Boston area) I've been thinking it's more likely I would get it from my husband (biotech) than from my work, then whoomp there it is. (We're all feeling fine, by the way)

Ironic. Fortunately these town cases seem to be mild (so far!). I guess I'll see the serious ones, at work!

Stay safe out there everybody

Guest Paula

I'm purposely deciding not to panic.  My clinic has no capability to do anything for patients, no way to test.  It's not in WI yet but can't be too far off since there were some cases in Illinois.  I'm sorry, but I just don't get all the fuss and bother about this.  It's a virus and it will kill some of us and that is what happens.  Same with the influenza.  Humans can't control the virus.  We can control what we do though.  So wash your hands, use hand sanitizer, stay away from crowds, wear a mask if needed and don't touch your face.  

I did however find a bargain for vinyl gloves at Walgreens and bought 2 boxes of 200 so I have enough to use for caring for my husband and stocked up on his incontinence supplies.  I live in a bubble, by the way.  Work  3 days a week and then home and can't get out much. 

C'est la vie and que sera sera

I'm sorry, but I just don't get all the fuss and bother about this. 

On an outpatient level, maybe not so much - for about 80% of the patients it's a manageable illness at home.

On an inpatient level (maybe 20% of the patients), if the disease spreads quickly our hospital capacity may become overwhelmed (as has happened in Wuhan, Iran and now Italy - but oddly, not apparently in Japan or South Korea). This will lead to suffering and, in an extreme case, social unrest.

But I agree, your average person should not panic about this. And for goodness sake, don't go out and buy up all the N95 masks!

• Like 2

On 3/8/2020 at 11:30 AM, Sed said:

Yes for us; I had to cancel attending the SEMPA Conference next week, along with a group of our other PAs.