The Official CORONAVIRUS oh *&^! thread. Time to start stocking up on food?

They're saying the epidemic has been declining since Feb 2? This is from WHO:
"WHO-China joint mission shares findings and recommendations

25 February 2020

The team of 25 international and Chinese experts travelled to several different provinces, with a small group going to Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak.

Among the team's findings was that the epidemic peaked and plateaued between the 23rd of January and the 2nd of February, and has been declining steadily since then. The team also estimates that the measures taken in China have averted a significant number of cases.

In a press conference in Geneva on Tuesday 25 February, Dr Bruce Aylward, the mission's lead, reported back on what China has done, its impact and implications."

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/events-as-they-happen

It sounds like there has been a spike in Italy, Iran, and S. Korea. I know Trump was saying he was embarassed about a bunch of Americans leaving Japan after being quarantined in a Hotel that they snuck out and got on planes. I also heard that the CDC now is saying it antually meat much of the criteria for a pandemic. With that said its similiar to H1N1 prior to the vaccine. Apparently they almost have a vaccine for this strain of the Coronavirus, whatever that means but they also say it would take a 1-1 1/2 years to be in use if approved. They also went to congress to ask for money for respirators because we wouldnt have enough. Its crappy but my family is pretty healthy so I'm not too concerned. I do believe any day its gonna hit the US pretty hard. All it takes is 1 stupid person.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joelseff said:

I'm loading up on 22LR and 9mm...(truthfully I was already running low anyway) have lots of 5.56 and .223. Just in case! You're right ammo seems to be the universal post apocalyptic currency! emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You know Joelseff when something has just enough crazy and just enough truth to be really funny?

Ammo.  That's all I'm saying, 😄 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marinejiujitsu said:

It sounds like there has been a spike in Italy, Iran, and S. Korea. I know Trump was saying he was embarassed about a bunch of Americans leaving Japan after being quarantined in a Hotel that they snuck out and got on planes. I also heard that the CDC now is saying it antually meat much of the criteria for a pandemic. With that said its similiar to H1N1 prior to the vaccine. Apparently they almost have a vaccine for this strain of the Coronavirus, whatever that means but they also say it would take a 1-1 1/2 years to be in use if approved. They also went to congress to ask for money for respirators because we wouldnt have enough. Its crappy but my family is pretty healthy so I'm not too concerned. I do believe any day its gonna hit the US pretty hard. All it takes is 1 stupid person.

The webpage suggested that the virus peaked and plateaued between those dates in China. When did Iran, Italy, and S. Korea start having cases show up? Perhaps a trend can be deducted if comparing it to China when cases first started to turn up and when the peak was noted at the end of January. 

In what ways do you think it'll hit the US "pretty hard" and be "similar to H1N1?" Just by shear intercontinental and interstate connections to these areas? Animal virus turned human-to-human transmission? I'm interested to hear more on how it might affect the US since I had a portion of my cruise back in 2009 canceled due to H1N1 (which was presumed to have started in Mexico and affected 60 million Americans with 12k American deaths; 575k deaths worldwide) and I don't want that to happen again as I'm trying to finalize my vacation plans for this summer. Lol. But in all seriousness, do you think it'll have similar affects despite such a distance between the US and China? 

The webpage suggested that the virus peaked and plateaued between those dates in China. When did Iran, Italy, and S. Korea start having cases show up? Perhaps a trend can be deducted if comparing it to China when cases first started to turn up and when the peak was noted at the end of January. 
In what ways do you think it'll hit the US "pretty hard" and be "similar to H1N1?" Just by shear intercontinental and interstate connections to these areas? Animal virus turned human-to-human transmission? I'm interested to hear more on how it might affect the US since I had a portion of my cruise back in 2009 canceled due to H1N1 (which was presumed to have started in Mexico and affected 60 million Americans with 12k American deaths; 575k deaths worldwide) and I don't want that to happen again as I'm trying to finalize my vacation plans for this summer. Lol. But in all seriousness, do you think it'll have similar affects despite such a distance between the US and China? 
Last couple days Ive heard it. I have seen 2 personally. I have a friend at a hospital that 4-5 nurses were exposed because the complaint was diarrhea and didnt have a proper triage. Santa Clara county asians are the majority. High percentage of Chinese. Numerous tech workers going all the time to China. My wifes cousin goes every 2 weeks. Japan has like 100 cases now but yeah, all it takes is 1. 1 person to go to Disneyland. Lol. Im assuming its going to hit but we are gonna stop testing unless admitted.

• Like 1

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Cideous said:

If you waited this long it’s probably too late for an n95.

Well, duh.  This is why I advocate advanced "panic" early and generalized preparedness.  If you wait until EVERYONE panics, you get caught in a stampede and/or get left out.  Or, if you MUST panic, figure out what everyone else will be buying NEXT, and get that now.

Honestly, there is no particular reason why Coronavirus should pose an unusual threat to Infrastructure that doesn't need international travel/shipping. BUT, people buying exceptionally in the same fashion can create scarcity and secondary panic.

Interesting article:

https://amp.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3052495/coronavirus-far-more-likely-sars-bond-human-cells-scientists-say?__twitter_impression=true

likely not reviewed yet but interesting in the sense of possible treatment options. Could be pretty scary as well. No worries though, if we wash our hands we have nothing to worry about. (Insert sarcasm here). 

13 hours ago, Marinejiujitsu said:

Last couple days Ive heard it. I have seen 2 personally. I have a friend at a hospital that 4-5 nurses were exposed because the complaint was diarrhea and didnt have a proper triage. Santa Clara county asians are the majority. High percentage of Chinese. Numerous tech workers going all the time to China. My wifes cousin goes every 2 weeks. Japan has like 100 cases now but yeah, all it takes is 1. 1 person to go to Disneyland. Lol. Im assuming its going to hit but we are gonna stop testing unless admitted.

You have seen 2 patients with positive test  results?  The nurses were exposed to it through a confirmed case as well?

25 minutes ago, Cideous said:

Patients are now becoming reinfected or worse, reactivated after discharge.  That is pretty much the nightmare scenario.  Time for an effective anti-viral and I mean like now.  Immunity control looks sketchy at best at least for the short term.

I'd like to learn more about that. Would you mind sharing your source?

16 minutes ago, Sed said:

I'd like to learn more about that. Would you mind sharing your source?

It's all over the front page of most news outlets but here are a few:

https://www.zmescience.com/science/a-startling-number-of-coronavirus-patients-get-reinfected/

https://nypost.com/2020/02/19/whistleblower-doctors-say-coronavirus-reinfection-even-deadlier/

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-coronavirus-risk-of-reinfection-2020-2

Edited by Cideous

Also, since it was discussed earlier in the thread, this is a comparison of the COVID-19 vs. influenza.  Obviously influenza has had a much larger impact (so far), but imagine the impact to have essentially 2x the "flu" in a given year, or even just 1.5x the cases...again, it's an assumption, but appears to be more and more like reality as the days come and go...

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

• Administrator
2 hours ago, mgriffiths said:

Thought this was interesting, and pretty scary for our health system if this gets out of hand (like it appears to be doing...).  Of course this doesn't show the numbers of those who require ICU or at minimum just inpatient care that overwhelms health systems.

ZMpANOfGGk1hv0OqSaogPJaz7rFKNLA3BvE_fXR4

Fascinating graph. I wonder how it would differ without advanced medical (i.e. ICU) care available?  I suspect it would exacerbate the seemingly exponential growth in latter ages.  This is fundamentally good news for the developing world, bad news for the 'old' world because it is, well, old.

I appreciate all the information I've read on this thread thus far. Thanks to the heightened awareness to hand hygiene, overall reduction in infection transmission habits by the general public (staying home when sick, avoiding travel, seeking care if sick, etc), restrictions in intercontinental travel, and frequent status updates by investigative authorities, I hope and personally think the viral spread won't be as intense and proliferative as it would likely be otherwise. Now with that said, I did grab a few extra items from the store yesterday in case you are all right 😉

39 minutes ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

It's an interesting epidemiological study/experience but this gets back to the statistical references of relative and absolute.  Absolute risk of dire consequences is low to the average human being in the U.S., including myself in the 60+ age range.  Maybe Maui will be less crowded in a couple of weeks.

I read Honolulu had some panic buying and food sold out at the grocery store in places.  The real panic buying won't hit until you start seeing lines at the ER and sick people slumped over in the hallways.  That's when it will get real for most Americans.

Edited by Cideous
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Cideous said:

I read Honolulu had some panic buying and food sold out at the grocery store in places.  The real panic buying won't hit until you start seeing lines at the ER and sick people slumped over in the hallways.  That's when it will get real for most Americans.

If I'm slumping it had better be over a Mai-tai glass that I've dropped into the sand at sunset.  Can't think of a better way to say "Bye Felicia" than in that setting.

IMG_2812.thumb.jpeg.c771128da8ed3d629202bdea4ec7240c.jpegAddendum:  Now it IS a crisis!  I just saw online that Hawaii 5-0 is ending its run next month!  How will I survive THAT (even though I primarily watched for the scenery).

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

If I'm slumping it had better be over a Mai-tai glass that I've dropped into the sand at sunset.  Can't think of a better way to say "Bye Felicia" than in that setting.

IMG_2812.thumb.jpeg.c771128da8ed3d629202bdea4ec7240c.jpeg

Your picture reminds me of our trip a couple years ago. As we watched a sunset very similar to this, we saw two whales make their way across the channel between Maui and Lanai. It was pretty damn cool. I wouldn't mind seeing that again as I slump over a Mai Tai.

• Upvote 1