The Official CORONAVIRUS oh *&^! thread. Time to start stocking up on food?

On 4/11/2020 at 11:27 AM, EMEDPA said:

yup, this is what we signed up for.

"What, I have to see sick patients?" Yes, yes you do. It's your job. you have been very well paid for years for taking care of BS, now it's time to step up and earn your keep buttercup. I understand older providers and folks with bad comorbidities taking a pass on this one, but for everyone else this is the job. Sick spouse or babies at home? Stay away from them until this is over. We can't have everyone take a pass because they know someone sick or there would be no providers left.

I feel bad for paramedics in big cities who are getting sick at high rates despite spraying themselves down with Lysol after every patient contact. They have a legit beef. most of us do not.

Disagree partially.

Yes, we signed up to take care of sick patients.  We did not sign up to take care of contagious patients with garbage bags and bandanas for PPE.  Where is it stated in the Hippocratic oath or any contract that you have to put you or the people you live with at risk?  The general medical field is not the military, you are not obligated to take the field especially without proper equipment.  We have the ability to complain about the government or administrators for not adequately preparing for this disaster and putting us at risk, all the while cutting our pay and/or hours.

I think it's an individual decision and I do not think people should be shamed for that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Reality Check 2 said:

I'm concerned that this comes as a surprise to anyone. We should all be aware of all the nasty things our shoes (and other "dirty" things like shared computers, money, stethoscopes, white coats, cell phones, purses, etc) are possibly carrying around from the house to the office to the hospital to the OR and all places in between.

If you haven't already dedicated specific pairs of shoes for work and kept them somewhere away from common areas (in hospital locker, car, garage, etc), then I suggest you start now or wear those delightful shoe covers on the daily. Or better yet, don't lick your feet or eat food off the ground, even if it was only there for 2 seconds! Lol

1 hour ago, EMSGuy1982 said:

Interesting take on the current situation. 

Yes! This is what I've been trying to say and even some of the things I haven't even bothered getting into yet. Obviously much better delivered by Zdogg via podcast vs some random PA posting dozens of times on an online forum. Lol. 

Appreciated his points about the "to teach within scope of practice" bit regarding chiropractors and naturopaths as well as his comments regarding having rational responses, exit strategy, harm in the hospital, the world is not ending, and how life is fragile and we take risks every day. Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. 

35 minutes ago, SedRate said:

Yes! This is what I've been trying to say and even some of the things I haven't even bothered getting into yet. Obviously much better delivered by Zdogg via podcast vs some random PA posting dozens of times on an online forum. Lol. 

Appreciated his points about the "to teach within scope of practice" bit regarding chiropractors and naturopaths as well as his comments regarding having rational responses, exit strategy, harm in the hospital, the world is not ending, and how life is fragile and we take risks every day. Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. 

I was happy to find it. I’ve actually sent it to a few family members who have, in the words of Zdogg, “lost their damn minds” over all this. They seemed to appreciate it. No doubt that a pandemic + our current healthcare system of reactive medicine = disaster. 

• Like 1

Saw on ABC News the cumulative deaths thus far for COVID, and after looking at CDC data, we're still about 1000 deaths from influenza for this season.  We also don't shut the country down for influenza like we have for COVID so who knows how many lives have been potentially spared.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess

35 minutes ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

Saw on ABC News the cumulative deaths thus far for COVID and after looking at CDC data we're still about 1000 deaths from influenza for this season.  We also don't shut the country down for influenza like we have for COVID so who knows how many lives have been potentially spared.

Yep, shutting down has probably significantly helped flu season numbers. 

I'm not sure about other hospitals, but the large rural hospital I work at has stopped testing for any viruses (including influenza) except for COVID-19 for the past two weeks. That plus people not coming in out of fear/staying home is likely going to skew the numbers for this flu season. The CDC's current prelim burden estimate states flu testing has been higher due to COVID-19 attention resulting in higher overall testing, but I wonder if that has changed if indeed other hospitals have also stopped testing for flu. 

Edited by SedRate

On 4/13/2020 at 11:44 AM, cbrsmurf said:

Disagree partially.

Yes, we signed up to take care of sick patients.  We did not sign up to take care of contagious patients with garbage bags and bandanas for PPE.  Where is it stated in the Hippocratic oath or any contract that you have to put you or the people you live with at risk?  The general medical field is not the military, you are not obligated to take the field especially without proper equipment.  We have the ability to complain about the government or administrators for not adequately preparing for this disaster and putting us at risk, all the while cutting our pay and/or hours.

I think it's an individual decision and I do not think people should be shamed for that.

I didn't say anything about working without appropriate PPE. Every place I work has adequate supplies of PPE that I can use as I see fit. I would not work with a bandana or a garbage bag. I do rotate my N-95s so that we don't run out.

10 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

I didn't say anything about working without appropriate PPE. Every place I work has adequate supplies of PPE that I can use as I see fit. I would not work with a bandana or a garbage bag. I do rotate my N-95s so that we don't run out.

But E, Matthew McConaughey says the bandana/coffee filter works fine (I'd actually like to know what the efficacy is of this combination).  I'd have to find a bandana first, which is embarrassing living in a state where we all own/ride horses to get to/from work.

And what do I see in the ads to the right of the screen?  Bandanas.  I think I need BANANAS more than the BANDANA.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Reality Check 2 said:

Has anyone been notified of exposure at work by their employee health office?

How was it handled? Were you tested? Were you told who was the exposure and when?

Were you put off work and for how long? Paid, Work Comp or unpaid?

Just learned about some things at work that make me curious and a tad concerned?

Stay safe everyone!

We started off with an extremely painful process (inpatient medicine) whereby the Employee Health team would contact you at home, let you know that there was an exposure, and then request that you call TWICE A DAY with information regarding any new symptoms as well as report your temperature.  Now they have changed it to simply recording your temperature and any symptoms on a log for 2 weeks after your last exposure with a request to fax it in after those 2 weeks. Nobody was taken off of work unless they developed symptoms.

My unit is essentially a COVID unit at this point in time, I'm "exposed" on a nightly basis.  Finally got tired of all the phone calls and hollered at them to leave me alone.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

Which 2 months ago was a gigantic no no and would get you fried by OSHA, failed by the joint commission and fired by most employers...but somehow today!   It's just fine.  What a joke.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Reality Check 2 said:

Has anyone been notified of exposure at work by their employee health office?

How was it handled? Were you tested? Were you told who was the exposure and when?

Were you put off work and for how long? Paid, Work Comp or unpaid?

Just learned about some things at work that make me curious and a tad concerned?

Stay safe everyone!

We're on our 3rd version of protocol... We are notified of exposure. Options are there for employee testing. As long as you remain asymptomatic, you are allowed to continue working. If you become symptomatic, you have to quarantine for 14 days while still receiving pay. 

• Like 1

If any of you guys see me in the hospital with Covid-19 give me this...keep that Malaria drug crap away from me lol

Gilead shares jumped more than 10% after STAT news reported that a Chicago hospital treating coronavirus patients with remdesivir in a trial were recovering rapidly from severe symptoms. The publication cited a video it obtained where the trial results were discussed. —Fred Imbert 

• Like 1

Couple of observations:

1)  Why are we recommending cotton face masks when evidence seems to clearly show that it isn't effective either coming or going respiratory wise (CDC now saying that they think it helps)?  Had to order some just to keep the local gov't officials happy to the south (Dallas Co. requiring facial covering when interacting with essential businesses after midnight tonight).

2)  COPD/RAD patients who have exacerbations and may have concurrent COVID-19.  Steroids or no steroids since story this week says that even my daily fluticasone NS could increase susceptibility.  Uh, no kidding; it's a steroid.

3)  Based upon the recommendation of my fellow Longhorn, Mr. "Alright, alright, alright" who encourages bandana face with a coffee filter; I can find any evidence of whether this is more efficacious or not.  There are a lot of cotton facemark options out there, even those with accommodating slide in filters.  Common sense would say that the thicker, less permeable the surface the less leaked airflow (though it leaks out to the sides but I don't want to ruin his YouTube video).

4)  Now cards is expressing concern about azithromycin and the "magical malaria medication".  What could possibly be a concern there?  Oh, that's right.  Prolonged QT syndrome and the inherent proarrythmic effect of the malarial med.  All kidding aside, are folks getting OP 12 leads on folks before prescribing?  It only takes one case to bite you on your backside.

1 hour ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

2)  COPD/RAD patients who have exacerbations and may have concurrent COVID-19.  Steroids or no steroids since story this week says that even my daily fluticasone NS could increase susceptibility.  Uh, no kidding; it's a steroid.

4)  Now cards is expressing concern about azithromycin and the "magical malaria medication".  What could possibly be a concern there?  Oh, that's right.  Prolonged QT syndrome and the inherent proarrythmic effect of the malarial med.  All kidding aside, are folks getting OP 12 leads on folks before prescribing?  It only takes one case to bite you on your backside.

#2 - Do not stop maintenance medications. ICS, ACEi, NSAID whatever...keep it going.  The reports suggesting a correlation were complete BS

#4 -I would very strongly urge people not to utilize these medications together as there is no evidence, no suggestion of benefit and it is not supported by any major organization. 

- Your friendly local Pulm/Crit guy

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1