The Official CORONAVIRUS oh *&^! thread. Time to start stocking up on food?

Is anyone getting their CME and vacation restricted due to this? A colleague mentioned that if they do any high-risk overseas travel, they will have a mandatory quarantine period when they get back (time off comp'd by employer) and employers are asking providers to cancel attendance to large CME events (if unable to cancel fees and tickets, this will also comp'd by employer).

The system I work for is banning all nonessential business travel (including CME/conferences). I had had to cancel my plans to attend a a very small conference in Baltimore later this month. I’m just converting those days to home-study CME. People who are speaking/presenting at conferences are still allowed to attend. No restriction on vacation yet.

4 hours ago, Cideous said:

The first case in New Jersey....a PA currently in the hospital is struggling right now.  

https://nypost.com/2020/03/10/new-jersey-patient-fighting-coronavirus-uable-to-talk-from-illness/

Not one of our own!  I just read that myself!  Some of the cases are young people with no co-morbidities.  These types of cases concern me and this is not the first of this kind.  There is a reason why some countries have quarantined so many people.  Italy has a CFR that is higher than what was initially expected as well.  Again, testing can be an issue and can drop the percentage,  but they've been testing many more people than we have so it still seems like it would be out of range where we thought it would be possibly.  

24 minutes ago, chaitea said:

Not one of our own!  I just read that myself!  Some of the cases are young people with no co-morbidities.  These types of cases concern me and this is not the first of this kind.  There is a reason why some countries have quarantined so many people.  Italy has a CFR that is higher than what was initially expected as well.  Again, testing can be an issue and can drop the percentage,  but they've been testing many more people than we have so it still seems like it would be out of range where we thought it would be possibly.  

While knowing the CFR is important, the fact is there are more critically ill people that need ICU beds than available in South Korea and Italy.  They are triaging patients for their ICU's because their local health systems are being overwhelmed.  South Korea's medical infrastructure and preparedness is better than the United States.  If people, especially medical providers, think this is just going to be another flu, they are going to be woefully underprepared and some patients will die unnecessarily.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, cbrsmurf said:

While knowing the CFR is important, the fact is there are more critically ill people that need ICU beds than available in South Korea and Italy.  They are triaging patients for their ICU's because their local health systems are being overwhelmed.  South Korea's medical infrastructure and preparedness is better than the United States.  If people, especially medical providers, think this is just going to be another flu, they are going to be woefully underprepared and some patients will die unnecessarily.  

Well stated. 

13 hours ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

This doesn’t sound any different than my hospital based days in the late 80’s-early 90’s. They were always triaging ICU beds.

Except this is a highly contagious disease that will geometrically and possibly logarithmically increase the need for ICU beds, vents, PPE and other resources.  Because it is a contagion, it will knock out a certain percentage of our skilled healthcare workforce as well.  We have never encountered anything like this in the US in over a 100 years.

• Upvote 2

Question regarding all of the recent activities to prevent the spread/slow the outbreak of COVID19.  

They have officially cancelled all sporting events in the state of Connecticut as a preventative measure.  Presumably the concern is that someone unknowingly infected with COVID19 spreads it to a large number of people in a short period of time.  The spectators (Likely consisting of parents/siblings/friends/school-staff) are obviously exposed to the students at home, who then proceed to sit in small/crowded class-rooms for 8 hours a day.

If we are serious about the every man/woman/child must stay at home approach, it needs to be fully enforced.  Opting for online courses for a couple of colleges, and saying no spectators at sporting events... doesn't cut the cake.  To me, it is all or nothing.

Instead, we are creating further panic and hurting the economy.  Sporting events or not, school or not, the virus will spread, and we will deal with the ramifications as a society.  

Edited by ShakaHoo

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, ShakaHoo said:

If we are serious about the every man/woman/child must stay at home approach, it needs to be fully enforced.  Opting for online courses for a couple of colleges, and saying no spectators at sporting events... doesn't cut the cake.  To me, it is all or nothing.

It's actually not.  Partial compliance and half-measures STILL reduce the spread somewhat.  The Powers that Be are in a bind, trying to figure out WHAT to cancel that will have the biggest impact on virus spread, while causing the least amount of panic and least economic damage... and WHEN to do so, neither prematurely nor after-the-fact.  Sporting events may seem inadequate, but it's a balancing act.

5 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

It's actually not.  Partial compliance and half-measures STILL reduce the spread somewhat.  The Powers that Be are in a bind, trying to figure out WHAT to cancel that will have the biggest impact on virus spread, while causing the least amount of panic and least economic damage... and WHEN to do so, neither prematurely nor after-the-fact.  Sporting events may seem inadequate, but it's a balancing act.

But arguably these people all have exposure to each-other anyways.  The event spectators - live with, and interact with these students on a regular daily basis.  The students then go to school, and all sit/interact with each other in confined classrooms.  I still fail to see how cancelling the sporting event, but allowing them to sit in classrooms together is any different.  While the spectators don't accompany them to school, they certainly live together in the same house-holds.  

Edited by ShakaHoo

• Administrator
1 minute ago, ShakaHoo said:

But arguably these people all have exposure to each-other anyways.  The event spectators live with, and interact with these students on a regular daily basis.  They students then go to school, and all sit/interact with each other in confined classrooms.  I still fail to see how cancelling the sporting event, but allowing them to sit in classrooms together is any different.  While the spectators don't accompany them to school, they certainly live together in the same house-holds.  

I don't have time to find you a better modeling video than this one, but about halfway through, there's a visual demonstration about how splitting up a group into smaller groups doesn't help, IF people move between those groups freely.  I'm not much of a sports spectator, but last time I checked, most sporting events brought two teams from different schools together.

15 minutes ago, PickleRick said:

Just to reiterate my thoughts from another thread, that aptly applies here as well:

There are some weird MFers on this site.

When COVID19 does not decimate the worlds population, I will be sure to remember this.  That being said I am in agreement with you, some weird MFers for sure.  😀

2 hours ago, ShakaHoo said:

But arguably these people all have exposure to each-other anyways.  The event spectators - live with, and interact with these students on a regular daily basis.  The students then go to school, and all sit/interact with each other in confined classrooms.  I still fail to see how cancelling the sporting event, but allowing them to sit in classrooms together is any different.  While the spectators don't accompany them to school, they certainly live together in the same house-holds.  

Here is a link to a piece I listened to yesterday.  Closing a public school is a very difficult decision with a lot of potential consequences.  For instance it is something like 20-25% of US households are food insecure.  What do these kiddos do for food if they don't have the support that they get in school.  So even though experts agree closing schools would slow the transmission, there are many other factors involved. 

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/11/814438424/when-should-schools-close-for-coronavirus

• Upvote 2

I know we try to stay out of politics here but I am livid.

Trump is a moron and endangering public health with his lies, diversions and complete lack of any knowledge of how to handle this. 

He has flat out LIED about this illness and FAILED to follow medical professionals advice. 

He FIRED the pandemic team and now closed all the Coronavirus meetings as classified, excluding folks who actually know what to do.

Not enough tests, NOT testing people, not acting soon enough..... 

How do we, the medical professionals function with this dismal excuse for leadership?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If the virus does not naturally die down on its own (past Coronavirus pandemics have been somewhat self-limiting), there is a good chance the country may go on full lockdown. Schools and non-essential industries will shut down. You may be only allowed to go out of your home for groceries and medical care. It seems to have worked for China. It’s hard to imagine such measures in the US, but it may come down to it. 

If the virus does not naturally die down on its own (past Coronavirus pandemics have been somewhat self-limiting), there is a good chance the country may go on full lockdown. Schools and non-essential industries will shut down. You may be only allowed to go out of your home for groceries and medical care. It seems to have worked for China. It’s hard to imagine such measures in the US, but it may come down to it. 
I know in Northern California 2 high schools and all the colleges are moving to online classes. I think the repercussions secondary to the virus is going to be much worse than the virus itself.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I know we try to stay out of politics here but I am livid.
Trump is a moron and endangering public health with his lies, diversions and complete lack of any knowledge of how to handle this. 
He has flat out LIED about this illness and FAILED to follow medical professionals advice. 
He FIRED the pandemic team and now closed all the Coronavirus meetings as classified, excluding folks who actually know what to do.
Not enough tests, NOT testing people, not acting soon enough..... 
How do we, the medical professionals function with this dismal excuse for leadership?
Every country is saying this though. To be honest, everybody have been morons. Trolling every other countries news you will see the same.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

@medic25 Were you able to negotiate a refund with SEMPA?  My employer just released a travel ban for all non-essential university related travel outside of our metropolitan area.  The conference website makes it seem like there will be no refunds granted for any reason.  Thanks!

Yes, they had agreed to refunding anyone who had to cancel due to a travel ban. Now that the conference is cancelled it’s a moot point; everyone is getting refunded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk