AAPA Marketing Campaign in USA Today

I know some of you have been interested in the AAPA performing more of a marketing function to the general public.The following link is to a medical careers insert that will be in the USA Today in 5 major media markets this week/weekend. Scroll through and you will see two pages focused on the physician assistant profession.

http://doc.mediaplanet.com/all_projects/10317.pdf

-HR

I do wish it was a little more clear with the article heading on the first page that "takes a little more than 2 years" that this is BS + 2 years. On another note, it is a small world. On the article page, Terry Cascino (article to the left) I worked with him and brother for six years. I think I'm the only PA they ever worked with. Glad he still likes us. The ad is a good thing.

Guest Paula

Interesting that there are four foreign medical schools advertising that supplement. I agree with JMJ though, on the description of the length of education. It is probably stated that way since some programs are still Bachelors, and I think still a few certificate programs exist.

I do wish it was a little more clear with the article heading on the first page that "takes a little more than 2 years" that this is BS + 2 years. On another note, it is a small world. On the article page, Terry Cascino (article to the left) I worked with him and brother for six years. I think I'm the only PA they ever worked with. Glad he still likes us. The ad is a good thing.

Not the only one...I know Terry quite well, as you know, he's a good guy. Terry is very pro PA.......I'm not as sure about his brother. Can never seem to quite get a bead on him....

As a small aside, I regret not keeping one of the "newspapers" that were on our seats at the opening ceremonies for the conference. It was a several page thing, mostly advertisements with a couple of "team building" blurbs in them. However, it was quite interesting to see that most of the ads were for Caribbean medical schools. One of the large full page ads said "There is no B Team, there is no bench. You're either a physician, or you're not." I was pretty surprised that ad made it into an AAPA flyer but I guess money is money :=Z: Was a shame to see a sell out spot like that though. Anyone have that flyer by any chance and can scan it in? I'd love a copy...

Guest Paula

The supplement referenced in the leading post has the link to what you are looking for. Page 13 has the ad. Another interesting ad on page 4....check it out...on the left side.

Employment Boom for Allied Health professionals: Home Health Aide, Medical Assistant, Physician Assistant, Physical Therapy Assistant. We've been demoted. Too bad we are stuck with Assistant in our title.

It is indeed...I had not realized that the flyer we were given was the actual insert that is linked to the USA Today release. It softens the blow a bit now realizing that the flyer wasn't an actual flyer aimed at those attending the conference, but rather a preview of what was headed out to the public. I wouldn't mind though seeing an independent release from the AAPA, one that was not piggybacked with a bunch of programs advocating medical schools or listing us with the allied health care folks.

• Administrator

Gotta say, the picture of people rushing around in scrubs on page 7 is... well, silly, overwrought, and unprofessional. Yeah, I really want to see someone rushing around a hospital with an opened BVM, actively trying to trip herself or someone else with the oxygen tubing. It's not clear which one(s) are supposed to be PAs, though.

I'd really like it if whomever is in charge of the "I'm a PA" line of print ads were more interested in depicting the profession professionally, though. The ads vary from the mundane and acceptable to the truly wretched--as I mentioned elsewhere, I recycled the free calendar I got because "October" (If I recall correctly; as I said, I recycled it) was so cringeworthy.

Dear AAPA marketing people, if any of you happen to be reading: Please feel free to use me as part of a focus group. I'd much rather deal with problems ahead of time, rather than after these ads have been purchased/placed and seen by the public.

Gotta say, the picture of people rushing around in scrubs on page 7 is... well, silly, overwrought, and unprofessional. Yeah, I really want to see someone rushing around a hospital with an opened BVM, actively trying to trip herself or someone else with the oxygen tubing. It's not clear which one(s) are supposed to be PAs, though.

I'd really like it if whomever is in charge of the "I'm a PA" line of print ads were more interested in depicting the profession professionally, though. The ads vary from the mundane and acceptable to the truly wretched--as I mentioned elsewhere, I recycled the free calendar I got because "October" (If I recall correctly; as I said, I recycled it) was so cringeworthy.

Dear AAPA marketing people, if any of you happen to be reading: Please feel free to use me as part of a focus group. I'd much rather deal with problems ahead of time, rather than after these ads have been purchased/placed and seen by the public.

Agreed at first glance, it looks like a nurse or emt ad. Btw this ad came out a year or two ago. I wasn't impressed then either. It's way too vague.

I think its not as dumb as the "not really an assistant" ad. But dumb nonetheless

Maybe an ad of a PA writing a script

Or something depicting us as more than a hospital worker.

The public needs to be made aware of our autonomy, competency, and professionalism, not merely that we work with doctors or in a hospital. And it shouldn't be too wordy.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

The supplement referenced in the leading post has the link to what you are looking for. Page 13 has the ad. Another interesting ad on page 4....check it out...on the left side.

Employment Boom for Allied Health professionals: Home Health Aide, Medical Assistant, Physician Assistant, Physical Therapy Assistant. We've been demoted. Too bad we are stuck with Assistant in our title.

One step forward...two steps back....

For me, the saddest thing about the calendar is that some of the "themes" are repeated. Our own national advocacy group could not think of twelve unique things to say about PAs and their benefit to the medical community?

Agreed at first glance, it looks like a nurse or emt ad.

I agree, I don't think any of the PA depictions showed "the PA" wearing a white coat. I like the writing a script idea, too. IMHO, generally in a patient's mind, anyone in a white coat=provider and anyone in scrubs=nursing/assist staff. Generally because obviously people know that surgeons in the OR are just wearing scrubs. I've seen patients think that the people who stock the sandwich fridges at our ER are docs because they wear a white coat.

Any good PR campaign will need to work "backward":

June 4 2012

Today, John Doe was the sole provider in his remote ER. He treated dozens of patients, from children to adults.

Today, Mary Smith resuscitated and stablized a 72 year old man from an in-hospital cardiac arrest.

Today, Jim White completed his gradute medical education and will be running a community health program in an area that has never had its own clinic.

There are over 80,000 Johns, Marys and Jims around the country.

They all practice gold standard medicine in all settings in the US and around the world.

And they are all PAs.

Do they funnel money back to headquarters in suite cases every month?

Nope, it can be a pretty loose association. When I was heavily involved with my state chapter, I was at odds with all kinds of stuff the AAPA did. We were always pleasant and cordial, but at the time I got the impression that the AAPA felt like they could just stonewall you and sooner or later you will lose interest and bail out of state affairs.

Nope, it can be a pretty loose association. When I was heavily involved with my state chapter, I was at odds with all kinds of stuff the AAPA did. We were always pleasant and cordial, but at the time I got the impression that the AAPA felt like they could just stonewall you and sooner or later you will lose interest and bail out of state affairs.

Archived