Is it worth the risk to boost my science GPA like this?

Hey guys! 

So I just calculated my current science GPA, which is 3.03. I graduated in 2016 with a 2.3 science GPA and have been working my tail off the past few years to bring up my science GPA and get HCE. I retook all my science classes, got A's in every single one, took majority of prerequisites, and exhausted through majority of the biology classes at my local community college (the only classes I havent taken are classes like Zoology or Plant Botany). 

I'm happy to say I'm now at a point where I at the very least meet the minimum science GPA requirement for most programs. Just barely made it I know. But I was considering taking UNE's Biochemistry and Pathophysiology online (4 credits each) which could end up boosting my GPA to 3.11 if I get As. 

But I'm also scared because I can't make anything below a B- for these classes. If I do my science GPA will get knocked down to below a 3.0 again and I'll no longer meet the minimum science GPA.

What do you guys think? Is it worth the risk to get that 3.11 or should I just stay at my 3.03 and be "safe" to apply? If I don't take UNE's courses I'll also be saving $3k which is tempting lol.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I know I have to make my own decision at the end of the day but I'd like second opinions too. Thanks in advance guys!

Edited by ptokki
  • Upvote 1

On 1/21/2020 at 4:57 PM, johncfl said:

You could always do something like take an EMT course at your local cc. They are usually between 8-12 credits and it is calculated by CASPA into your science GPA. This would not only boost your science GPA but it would give you a certification and EMT is probably less rigourous comapred to patho and biochem. 

If CASPA really does consider this as sGPA, then this was the best advise you could have given. Mine was 9 credits, and though it is a lot of work, is not very difficult. Take the NR-EMT to obtain certification even if you may never use it. It is worth the extra couple bucks to have it on your application. 

Biochemistry is fairly easily, solely dependent on your teacher. Use ratemyprofessor and take it if there are good reviews. I can't speak for Patho. 

Your question is dependent on your time. If you are applying this application cycle, you are more than likely going to be fairly busy already writing your PS, obtaining LORs, studying for the GRE, researching schools, obtaining records, etc. If you KNOW, not think, you can receive an A in these classes (if your'e average it is all about dedication and time), then go for it. If you have any doubts, I would research other classes. 

9 hours ago, byf8thpber said:

If CASPA really does consider this as sGPA, then this was the best advise you could have given. Mine was 9 credits, and though it is a lot of work, is not very difficult. Take the NR-EMT to obtain certification even if you may never use it. It is worth the extra couple bucks to have it on your application. 

Biochemistry is fairly easily, solely dependent on your teacher. Use ratemyprofessor and take it if there are good reviews. I can't speak for Patho. 

Your question is dependent on your time. If you are applying this application cycle, you are more than likely going to be fairly busy already writing your PS, obtaining LORs, studying for the GRE, researching schools, obtaining records, etc. If you KNOW, not think, you can receive an A in these classes (if your'e average it is all about dedication and time), then go for it. If you have any doubts, I would research other classes. 

Yes it is calculated into both sGPA and cGPA by CASPA