Do I have a shot?

Okay, here's my story: I'm a 6th year senior who still has two years of undergrad left. I was diagnosed with a mental illness and had a rough two years. I withdrew for a year to get help with my condition. I am now steadily doing much better. I really want to be a PA but I messed up my GPA during those years I was sick. I still have 2 years left before I'm done with my bachelors and 3 years before I think I'll be ready to apply. My question is how do you think the admission committees will look at my grades from those years I was sick. FYI, my gpa dropped from a 3.5 to a 2.6. Do I have a shot?

With a 2.6 I don't think you have much of a chance. Most schools require at least a 3.0 to even be considered. There are some schools you can apply to with as low as a 2.5... but I don't imagine many students get accepted with such numbers. Work really hard to get that GPA up, and look for schools that will only look at your last 80 hours (assuming your last 80 hours are better...)

I still have 2.5 years or 5 semesters left to bring it up. I can bring it up to a 3.0

I think if you bring it above a 3.0 and have decent HCE and volunteering you'll have a shot. Generally, admissions will look at GPA and trends throughout school so if you had good grades, had a period of bad grades, then have great grades from then on they will consider your most recent success as indicative of your potential. Applicants are generally expected to explain bad grades in their PS, but you can just say you had a personal illness if you don't want to disclose everything.

I think if you bring it above a 3.0 and have decent HCE and volunteering you'll have a shot. Generally, admissions will look at GPA and trends throughout school so if you had good grades, had a period of bad grades, then have great grades from then on they will consider your most recent success as indicative of your potential. Applicants are generally expected to explain bad grades in their PS, but you can just say you had a personal illness if you don't want to disclose everything.

This is about what I was going to say.

Don't waste too much time hunting for schools that promise to only look at your last 30-50-60 hours or whatever. Use you remaining time in school wisely and bring your GPA up to the 3.0 mark. At the same time, start building your healthcare hours and getting involved in the community. By the time you apply you could have a solid three year record to point to when the adcom asks about your dip in grades.

This is about what I was going to say.

Don't waste too much time hunting for schools that promise to only look at your last 30-50-60 hours or whatever. Use you remaining time in school wisely and bring your GPA up to the 3.0 mark. At the same time, start building your healthcare hours and getting involved in the community. By the time you apply you could have a solid three year record to point to when the adcom asks about your dip in grades.

I am taking all of this into consideration, I'll do my best and bring that G.P.A. up.

Don't forget, with applying to PA school you have to write a personal statement. What better way to explain your life circumstances and to show the admissions committee what you've learned from your experiences and how it is going to make you a better PA in the long run. You're not a cookie-cutter applicant. Use it to your advantage. :)

Don't forget, with applying to PA school you have to write a personal statement. What better way to explain your life circumstances and to show the admissions committee what you've learned from your experiences and how it is going to make you a better PA in the long run. You're not a cookie-cutter applicant. Use it to your advantage. :)

I just want to thank you for sharing your experience! My GPA is also on the low side (2.9) due to personal things that occurred over a few semesters. It's frustrating but your HCE and personal statement will be a big help. Don't forget the GRE can be an attribute depending on the school :) Good luck!

I just want to thank you for sharing your experience! My GPA is also on the low side (2.9) due to personal things that occurred over a few semesters. It's frustrating but your HCE and personal statement will be a big help. Don't forget the GRE can be an attribute depending on the school :) Good luck!

Jessica and Geek, I was in a similar academic standing with both of you. I let my grades slip a little bit sophomore year. What I ended up doing was taking a semester to become an EMT,re-focus my efforts and find out if I really wanted to pursue healthcare. After being an emt i realized i really did want to pursue health care, so i put my head down and focused. My last years of Uni were the strongest i had academically, and most schools will look at your trends throughout university. explain any short comings in your PS, use them to your advantage and explain that you have learned from previous mistakes etc etc. you both absolutely have a shot, my final GPA was 3.2, 1080 on the GRE, 3 LOR's and 4 yrs HCE, and I was accepted in October to Barry. Keep your chins up and go for it!

Jessica and Geek, I was in a similar academic standing with both of you. I let my grades slip a little bit sophomore year. What I ended up doing was taking a semester to become an EMT,re-focus my efforts and find out if I really wanted to pursue healthcare. After being an emt i realized i really did want to pursue health care, so i put my head down and focused. My last years of Uni were the strongest i had academically, and most schools will look at your trends throughout university. explain any short comings in your PS, use them to your advantage and explain that you have learned from previous mistakes etc etc. you both absolutely have a shot, my final GPA was 3.2, 1080 on the GRE, 3 LOR's and 4 yrs HCE, and I was accepted in October to Barry. Keep your chins up and go for it!

That's quite inspiring! Hope you don't mind me asking what was you GPA when you fell off?

That's quite inspiring! Hope you don't mind me asking what was you GPA when you fell off?

Archived