Non-Clinical PA job that would make around $25-30 per hour?

I have variously over the years done insurance physicals (which were pretty simple) and med-mal reviews. Neither provided a steady income but were nice occasional gigs.

One PA I know became an area expert type for a medical equipment specialty company. He isn't a sales rep. he is the medical expert that speaks to technical and medical questions with other providers.

• Upvote 1

Maybe look into professorship at a local CC teaching allied health courses......or at a Votech type place doing similar..........those types of places are everywhere and probably would limit your commute.  Or you could get your BLS/ACLS/PALS instructor certs and cater to local EMS agencies.....if you hustle you could make OK money doing that.

Just now, dfw6er said:

Maybe look into professorship at a local CC teaching allied health courses......or at a Votech type place doing similar..........those types of places are everywhere and probably would limit your commute.  Or you could get your BLS/ACLS/PALS instructor certs and cater to local EMS agencies.....if you hustle you could make OK money doing that.

I've thought about the BLS/ACLS/PALS route but I remember how tired head I got when I used to teach our county employees CPR years ago.  I like the idea of the "only when we need you" lecture approach that I applied for.  The CC (where my wife works) is behind on FT professor placements so I've been told by my wife to hold my horses.

4 hours ago, dfw6er said:

Thanks, all good tips.

I had actually applied to my local CC a few years ago but never heard back.  I guess maybe if I show up and wave at them it might help.  Everything is online now a days it's so easy for your cv to get lost in the shuffle.

I would really like to still do something in medicine going forward...just not seeing patients.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cideous said:

Everything is online now a days it's so easy for your cv to get lost in the shuffle.

This is so frustrating.  I'm old school and really wanted to make a follow up phone call to be sure my resume was received.  But its just not possible.  I landed a lab job at $35.00 per hour 32 hours per week this past year.  But honestly if I did not know someone who worked there don't think it ever would have happened.   NP friend does all telephone work for a local large health care system.  No clinical but still has to deal with patients but all over the telephone.  Might be something to look around for.  

10 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

I make that range ($32, no benefits) teaching EMT initial and OTEP classes.  Mind you, I don't live in the lowest cost of living area, but it's not the highest in my state by a long shot...

Did you go back and get your NAEMSE Level 1 cert?

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess

2 hours ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:
2 hours ago, rev ronin said:

I make that range ($32, no benefits) teaching EMT initial and OTEP classes.  Mind you, I don't live in the lowest cost of living area, but it's not the highest in my state by a long shot...

Did you go back and get your NAEMSE Level 1 cert?

Even if you needed to get your NAEMSE Level 1, it's 2-3 days and done. I remember it being $200-300. Not too bad for a change of scenery.

7 hours ago, IntrovertMedic said:

Even if you needed to get your NAEMSE Level 1, it's 2-3 days and done. I remember it being $200-300. Not too bad for a change of scenery.

$700+ in Ft. Worth back in November at a state EMS conference, and that's without any travel costs (would've considered commuting each day to avoid hotel costs though I probably would've stayed onsite to avoid the traffic and three day commute).  I didn't want to pay out the cash out front as an "old, retired guy" unless I had a job offer in hand.  The position mentioned by myself above would include a joint education program with local high schools in addition to the college.  My old employer had an EMT program for HS students.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess

look into all the insurance companies paying for assessments in the home on the medicare advantage patients

1099 on most with pay rates around $80/visit

no management

no hassles

just H&P

by the time you take out mileage, costs, (1099 write offs) and cancellations you are likely in the $40/hr range and you get to write EVERYTHING off

flexible schedule from what I see

Speaking only for myself, this involves interacting with the "p" word which I have sworn off of, unless mentoring a student.  After today I don't think I can be an electrician either.  Trying to replace a GFCI plug in the kitchen with a 20 amp one.  The old one says 20 amp in one spot and 15 amp in another.  As long as I know the live wire of the four (plus a ground), which I do, it should be a piece of cake.  My suspicion is that this is a 15 amp line even though the breaker is up to 20 amp.  I've only had to defibrillate myself twice with my portable car charger.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, GMM2019 said:

Could you find an environment where you have more admin time? I came from the trenches of urgent care and found a job that is like 60% clinical and 40% admin and/or research time. Coming from seeing like 30-40 patients per shift, the change of pace is glorious. 

Thank you for the question..the answer is.....No.  I have reached maximum patient saturation.  One more and either I or they go out the window LOL.

6 hours ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

Speaking only for myself, this involves interacting with the "p" word which I have sworn off of, unless mentoring a student.  After today I don't think I can be an electrician either.  Trying to replace a GFCI plug in the kitchen with a 20 amp one.  The old one says 20 amp in one spot and 15 amp in another.  As long as I know the live wire of the four (plus a ground), which I do, it should be a piece of cake.  My suspicion is that this is a 15 amp line even though the breaker is up to 20 amp.  I've only had to defibrillate myself twice with my portable car charger.

LOL welcome to retirement!  Funny enough, before medicine I was an electrician.  In other words, I use to work for a living as my blue collar friends would say :D.  We had a saying..."until your linemans (pliers) were scorched with electrical arcs...you were not really an electrician 😄 

• Upvote 1