Interviews July 2012

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more question to the locals. We are going to rent a car from the airport in Norfolk, and we will have to return it there as well, and then we are going to catch a bus to DC from Richmond. Is there any public transportation from Norfolk to Richmond, or what is the best way to get there?

Alkemal,

There is greyhound service, and there is also amtrak train service that goes from newport news to DC ( newport news is across the water from norfolk). The times vary and can be found at www.amtrak.com. There is even a bus you can get in norfolk that will take you to Newport News and then transfer you to the train. I think one way tickets are about 38$ a person. :)

Hope that helps!

Alkelmal,

It takes about 1.5 hours depending on traffic. Recently traffic has been horrible due to the beaches and the tourists that travel. Last week it took me 5 hours to get home from richmond. YUK! If you can do it, I would try to stay somewhere in Norfolk. :)

Agreed. If you are not from around here and do not know any alternate routes your best bet is to stay in Norfolk.

@Stonewall - Thanks. I'll be flying into Norfolk Saturday night and flying out after our interview. Would you recommend cab or renting a car? Trying to figure out if renting a car is more hassle than it's worth.

I guess it depends on what you want to deal with. If you are getting into town Saturday then you would have enough time to drive around and become familiar (enough) with Norfolk. Renting a car would give the freedom to quickly leave for last minute preparations or unexpected emergencies like mustard on the suit. However, a cab driver knows ALL the ways to get to where you need to go and now the traffic patterns. Rush hour on Monday can be around lunch time and between the hours of 3ish-7ish. Although, coming from San Francisco, you are probably well versed in heavy traffic!

Thanks for the advice. Any other last minute advice for out-of-towners? Local favorite spots to eat and neighborhoods to visit to get a sense of the area?

Hamptonroads.com is a good website to check out. If you go down to the bottom of the home page you can select Norfolk. There are a ton of places to eat in downtown Norfolk. Ghent is an area of Norfolk that EVMS is adjacent to. There are a lot of great restaurants/cafes on Colley Ave...this area is Ghent's main "drag". If you have a smart phone I would use the YELP app. There is a good pizza place called Cogan's that is on the corner of Colonial Ave and Washington Park. 23517 is the local zip code.

Does anybody else know of any good places?

There are loads of great local places to eat and hang out:=D:. Try yelp and see the good places. I like Ten Top, Doumars, Hells Kitchen, The Jewish Mother..... Too many to name...

Just as an FYI:

We are having a meet and greet.

Saturday July 14 ,12pm-2pm

Monday July 16, 12pm-2pm & 5pm-7pm

Come join members of EVMS MPA classes of 2013 and 2014 for lunch or dinner and an opportunity to ask questions in a candid, relaxed setting.

*Be sure to mention EVMS to your server!

I hope to see some of you there.

If anyone has any questions feel free to e-mail :=-0:me I will be at all of the AM sessions to meet you and many of my classmates will be here to guide you to the sessions and answer your questions.

Congratulations to those of you selected for interviews and Best of luck. For those that did not get an interview offer keep trying. It is worth all the hard work.

I believe an e-mail is going out to all the interview candidates but, it is MEET & GREET, PLAZA DEL SOL

2200 Colonial Ave

Saturday July 14

12pm-2pm

Monday July 16

12pm-2pm & 5pm-7pm

I hope many of you will be able to come by. We are also going to the Norfolk Tides game Friday night. I have some extra tickets if anyone wants to join.

I had bought 3 but, I will be there with out my family.. So $6 a piece is what I paid.

Congrats on your interview.

Archived