Precalc vs. AP Stats

Hello there! I'm sorry if I'm posting on the incorrect forum, but I will be a high school senior next year. Having taken an interest in the PA career, I was wondering which math class would better prepare me for my college major requirements as long as PA school requirements. I know I still have a long way to go, and the possibility of changing my interest is still large, but I would just like to prepare just in case. I'm currently enrolled in Algebra 2 Honors and enjoy the class quite well. The next class for me to take would be Precalc Honors, but I've found AP Statistics to be more interesting and I have heard that PA schools require statistics instead of calculus anyways. What would you recommend? Thanks!

(I've also tried talking to my high school counselor about this, but he has not been of much help). 

Edited by mfalvevo

1 hour ago, mfalvevo said:

Hello there! I'm sorry if I'm posting on the incorrect forum, but I will be a high school senior next year. Having taken an interest in the PA career, I was wondering which math class would better prepare me for my college major requirements as long as PA school requirements. I know I still have a long way to go, and the possibility of changing my interest is still large, but I would just like to prepare just in case. I'm currently enrolled in Algebra 2 Honors and enjoy the class quite well. The next class for me to take would be Precalc Honors, but I've found AP Statistics to be more interesting and I have heard that PA schools require statistics instead of calculus anyways. What would you recommend? Thanks!

(I've also tried talking to my high school counselor about this, but he has not been of much help). 

Many PA programs require stats but you can take it anytime. If there's a chance you may change your mind (and keeping an open mind at 17-18 is a great idea!), I'd probably stick with the "hard" math -- Precalc. 

3 hours ago, UGoLong said:

Many PA programs require stats but you can take it anytime. If there's a chance you may change your mind (and keeping an open mind at 17-18 is a great idea!), I'd probably stick with the "hard" math -- Precalc. 

Thank you so much for your response!! I think I was just afraid that if I were to take Precalc now, I might not be prepared for college statistics when it comes time to take it. I will continue to research and keep an open mind to all options 🙂

Thank you so much for your response!! I think I was just afraid that if I were to take Precalc now, I might not be prepared for college statistics when it comes time to take it. I will continue to research and keep an open mind to all options [emoji846]

College statistics shouldn’t be difficult for a student with a good math background. It is mostly learning some new concepts and employing canned equations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Statistics generally the only math pre-requisites that schools require, with very few exceptions. I just took a 3 week winter intercessory class and got a 97% in it. The class, is very dry, and the workload is a lot but mathematically speaking, it is very easy. I used StatCrunch/Excel sheets for everything, used my calculator a handful of times, and never wrote out any equations. I hated math so much the 3 week course was the only viable option for me. It also provided the additional benefit that you didn't have time to forget anything, so you never had to study for tests as all the mandated homework kept the information fresh in your mind. Hope that helps.