How Long Would You Keep License/-C Certification Active

For those who might have retired, or are nearing retirement, how long did you, or are you considering, keeping your license/certification active?  State licensure good through 2021 and I have hours logged for this NCCPA which expires end of the year.  I'm at 60 but don't intend on providing direct care, though licensure would potentially assist with other part-time gigs such as an adjunct professorship.  My personal thought is to keep NCCPA current with logged CME which I now have through my 2022 expiration (no longer need PANRE) then go emeritus, and my state licensure through its current expiration of 2021.  If I go back to work in a capacity such as above then I've still got it active and can maintain CME online.  If I don't, then I think two years to make a decision is plenty.  Thoughts?

• Like 1

I would first find out from your state how hard it is to get you license back if it lapses

if it is anything harder then paying back fee's due I would keep if active as long as possible but atleast to 65

You just never know what the future holds and doing a tiny bit of leg work, cme and license stuff is great insurance

i plan on retire at 64, give up license at 70

The real money is maintaining DEA #'s.  As long as you don't need to do PANRE, the cost of maintaining NCCPA certification and state licenses isn't too bad.  Each is about $200 every 2 years.  I plan to work FT until my wife is 65 - until we're both on Medicare.  That way I can keep us covered with health insurance.  How much I work after that depends largely on the stock market.  Right now I really like my job.  I could see working until my early 70's on a part-time basis mostly for the mental stimulation.  That would still give us time to travel.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’ve had a DEA for six years and used it once.  I don’t intend on being in a position to need it. I can live off retirement between now and 65 when I start with Medicare and my two pensions, in addition to my wife’s accounts.  The need for licensure would be for non-care part-time position.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess