University of Utah Internal Medicine Fellowship

• 1 year later...

Hey,

I rotated at Intermountain with Gen Surgery and got to shadow a Trauma APP (that's who the fellow works with). They are an outstanding group of people. The general surgery side speaks highly of all the APP's and it's recognized that they really run the trauma service. I worked with the fellow and he said he definitely didn't regret doing the program, and they also have a former fellow still working there who also said the experience was priceless. Trauma APPs manage both the ICU side, as well as the floor trauma patients, run the traumas, can assist in the OR, pretty much do it all. The trauma surgeons are smart and from my (albeit short) interactions with them are down to teach and would make a point to show me imaging, ask me questions, and make sure I was as involved as possible. I think Intermountain as a whole is a great place to learn because it definitely gets the volume and is accustomed to being a teaching facility. I was bummed I went there after the deadline for the fellowship application, but am planning on applying next cycle. 

Also, former fellows here now are working in major EDs in San Diego and another one runs an ED in SC I think? They haven't had any issues with finding work. 

Edited by jmelville