pre-reqs at a community college?

I'm a 29 y/o middle school science teacher. I'm trying to make the transition from education to health care. While in college, I worked as a physical therapy tech. I've always wanted to work in health care, but I didn't know which route to take. I've been researching for the last 2 years, and I believe PA is the best fit for me. I've been out of school for 6 years and I received alot of C's in the required pre-req courses. My undergraduate GPA is a 2.94. Currently, I'm taking those courses over at a local community college. Is it wise to take those courses at a community college or should I take them at a University? Will the admissions committee view the university courses as more rigorous than the community college courses?

I was in the same situation as you but in a hybrid field (biomedical engineering technologist). I am currently taking my chemistry classes at a community college (chemistry is a pain in the *** for me) along with becoming a EMT-B/Paramedic. I'll take all my chemistry courses at the community college and my biology courses at the university I am going to attend.

I would say get your science grade point average up beleive it or not with HCE like EMT-B/Paramedic and Nursing 3.0-3.2 grade average is competetive "or so I have been told".

I took them in CC and no one had a problem with it. From my research only like 2 schools said "you need to take A&P from a university" so I didn't even bother applying there.

Don't worry, everyone has the same fears when starting pre-reqs! I was worried CC wouldn't do either at first, but no one even mentioned it! :)

I went back to take the science pre-reqs after undergrad and took almost all of them at a community college. I even applied to a school that said they do not accept more than 2 community college courses, and I was accepted. So don't be discouraged. CC was the only place that would fit into my schedule and allow me to continue to work during the day. Best of luck.

i took all of mine at a cc except the upper level courses - genetics, cell biology. i was in the same situation as you, with a 2.92 undergrad GPA. so i worked my butt off and got As in everything except organic chem. and it has payed off. but definitely check with the schools you are interested in.

i took all of mine at a cc except the upper level courses - genetics, cell biology. i was in the same situation as you, with a 2.92 undergrad GPA. so i worked my butt off and got As in everything except organic chem. and it has payed off. but definitely check with the schools you are interested in.

Thanks!! I definitely feel like its something that can be done with hardwork and determination.

Thanks!! I definitely feel like its something that can be done with hardwork and determination.

Archived