applying for the 2020-2021 cycle

11 hours ago, AspiringFuturePA2022 said:

ME TOO. I still have to take my GRE and I plan on applying to 16-20 schools. I think at this point I am most nervous about interviews. how about you?

I think I'm going to apply to 17 schools. My overall GPA isn't the best but my science GPA is great, so I'm trying to overcompensate. What are your stats for hours (PCE, HCE, etc)?

18 hours ago, MedIsLifePA said:

I think I'm going to apply to 17 schools. My overall GPA isn't the best but my science GPA is great, so I'm trying to overcompensate. What are your stats for hours (PCE, HCE, etc)?

I work as a Patient Care Tech in the ICU and ER. I have accumulated ~1000 in the past 6 months. I hope to have at least ~1500-2000 by the time I apply in April. I also went on a volunteering mission in Nepal and I worked ~350 hours in the hospital there. I haven't shadowed a PA yet but that is also my goal over the next 4 months. My goal is to shadow about 3 PA's around my area. I want to have a good foundation when I apply but i plan on working on those hours after I apply as well. 

On 1/10/2020 at 4:53 AM, AspiringFuturePA2022 said:

I work as a Patient Care Tech in the ICU and ER. I have accumulated ~1000 in the past 6 months. I hope to have at least ~1500-2000 by the time I apply in April. I also went on a volunteering mission in Nepal and I worked ~350 hours in the hospital there. I haven't shadowed a PA yet but that is also my goal over the next 4 months. My goal is to shadow about 3 PA's around my area. I want to have a good foundation when I apply but i plan on working on those hours after I apply as well. 

That's great! I'm studying for the GRE right now as well. I've been freaking out about the hours lately. I'm a clinical research coordinator in the oncology field currently and a part-time physical therapy aide. So far these are my stats:

PCE: 3,370 hrs

HCE: 2,220 hrs 

RESEARCH: 1,720 hrs

VOLUNTEER: 496 hrs (Going on a medical mission to Guatemala in March. Should be around 600 hrs total by time of application)

SHADOW: 84 hrs (PAs in oncology, hematology, internal medicine, dermatology, urology, orthopedics, and cardiothoracic surgery)

EXTRACURRICULAR :70 hrs 

LEADERSHIP: 41 hrs

TEACHING: 15 hrs

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 10:29 AM, MedIsLifePA said:

That's great! I'm studying for the GRE right now as well. I've been freaking out about the hours lately. I'm a clinical research coordinator in the oncology field currently and a part-time physical therapy aide. So far these are my stats:

PCE: 3,370 hrs

HCE: 2,220 hrs 

RESEARCH: 1,720 hrs

VOLUNTEER: 496 hrs (Going on a medical mission to Guatemala in March. Should be around 600 hrs total by time of application)

SHADOW: 84 hrs (PAs in oncology, hematology, internal medicine, dermatology, urology, orthopedics, and cardiothoracic surgery)

EXTRACURRICULAR :70 hrs 

LEADERSHIP: 41 hrs

TEACHING: 15 hrs

how were you able to get to shadow that many PAs? 

I am finally able to apply this year, and I am so excited, but I am starting to self-doubt. I know I am a competitive, non-traditional applicant, but so is everyone else (which is great), that is why it's so hard to get in. Though I am also only applying to 1-2 schools, which is drastically decreasing my chances. 

Maybe it's all nerves. 

Anyone having similar feelings??

Keep in mind that after you have applied to 12 schools your chances of acceptance do not statistically increase when above that number. Students who apply to 17 schools stand the same chance of acceptance as someone who has applied to 12. PAEA has done research on this and found that 8-12 schools is the most appropriate number to apply to, regardless of your stats. Applying and everything that goes along with it is expensive. So consider than that when thinking about applying.

What is most important is to find schools that you are a good fit for application wise. This will increase your chances more than spreading your application all over. 

Good luck to you all! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, emilymuff said:

I am finally able to apply this year, and I am so excited, but I am starting to self-doubt. I know I am a competitive, non-traditional applicant, but so is everyone else (which is great), that is why it's so hard to get in. Though I am also only applying to 1-2 schools, which is drastically decreasing my chances. 

Maybe it's all nerves. 

Anyone having similar feelings??

Is there a reason why you're only applying to 1-2 schools?

7 minutes ago, MedIsLifePA said:

Is there a reason why you're only applying to 1-2 schools?

Yes, 

My husband is Active Duty Navy, and we are moving to a new location at the end of this year, but we won't know that location for another month or two. So my options are Yale online and whatever PA program is near our new location. Will probably be EVMS, Nova Southeastern in Jax, or MEDEX Tacoma. There is a PA program applying for accreditation in San Diego, but that process takes a while. So we'll see! 

56 minutes ago, emilymuff said:

Yes, 

My husband is Active Duty Navy, and we are moving to a new location at the end of this year, but we won't know that location for another month or two. So my options are Yale online and whatever PA program is near our new location. Will probably be EVMS, Nova Southeastern in Jax, or MEDEX Tacoma. There is a PA program applying for accreditation in San Diego, but that process takes a while. So we'll see! 

Oh I see! Well best of luck! What are your current stats and hours?

3 minutes ago, MedIsLifePA said:

Oh I see! Well best of luck! What are your current stats and hours?

Thank you!

GPA overall: 3.7, Science: 3.8 (will graduate in June)

GRE: 300 (thought about retaking it, but I know it is such a minimal factor and that score doesn't stick out like a sore thumb)

HCE: 10k + (prior navy corpsman/surgical tech both in navy and after)

Volunteer: not too much, but consistent and continuing over the past year with the homeless community here in Rhode Island 

Shadowing: only 25 formal hours, but have worked directly and side-by-side with PAs through my surg tech career and the Navy

There are some impressive stats out there, and of course they can be "make or break" but we all know that PA schools look at the applicant as a whole, and the PS is what will get you and interview and be that opportunity to show the real you. You can have the best stats and still not get in, or have the worst stats and get in. We have to remember to try, and not compare each other just by looking at these numbers (I catch myself doing it and I start to self-doubt). We all know this, so I guess I am just reminding myself. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, emilymuff said:

Thank you!

GRE: 300 (thought about retaking it, but I know it is such a minimal factor and that score doesn't stick out like a sore thumb)

Volunteer: not too much, but consistent and continuing over the past year with the homeless community here in Rhode Island 

Shadowing: only 25 formal hours, but have worked directly and side-by-side with PAs through my surg tech career and the Navy

There are some impressive stats out there, and of course they can be "make or break" but we all know that PA schools look at the applicant as a whole, and the PS is what will get you and interview and be that opportunity to show the real you. You can have the best stats and still not get in, or have the worst stats and get in. We have to remember to try, and not compare each other just by looking at these numbers (I catch myself doing it and I start to self-doubt). We all know this, so I guess I am just reminding myself. 

Yep! Your patient care hours are impeccable and that's great experience as a surgical tech. I really hope you get in! I think it's cool that Yale has an online program. Do you have a specialty that you think you'll gravitate too as a PA?

15 minutes ago, MedIsLifePA said:

Yep! Your patient care hours are impeccable and that's great experience as a surgical tech. I really hope you get in! I think it's cool that Yale has an online program. Do you have a specialty that you think you'll gravitate too as a PA?

I agree, I think it's awesome that there is an online/hybrid program out there. I was definitely indifferent about it at first, but after some research I was convinced. What about you? Any programs that you are eyeballing the most? 

That's a great question, I think anything surgical is a natural fit, but I am eager to learn about other specialties such as oncology or something not so common like oculoplastics. You?

20 minutes ago, emilymuff said:

I agree, I think it's awesome that there is an online/hybrid program out there. I was definitely indifferent about it at first, but after some research I was convinced. What about you? Any programs that you are eyeballing the most? 

That's a great question, I think anything surgical is a natural fit, but I am eager to learn about other specialties such as oncology or something not so common like oculoplastics. You?

My top choices are Morehouse, Emory, UAB, LSU, and UF. 

I'm thinking surgical oncology or ob/gyn might interest me the most. 

11 hours ago, emilymuff said:

Thank you!

I find myself comparing my stats to those of others, and often times, if not always, it makes me feel bad, and inadequate. However, I hope they see my passion and love for medicine - I truly cannot imagine myself doing anything else. I also don't have any top choices for PA school, besides Colorado - however, whichever program I apply to and get accepted into, I will be more than grateful. I hope we can all become successful PA's and I wish you the best in this journey.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AspiringFuturePA2022 said:

I find myself comparing my stats to those of others, and often times, if not always, it makes me feel bad, and inadequate. However, I hope they see my passion and love for medicine - I truly cannot imagine myself doing anything else. I also don't have any top choices for PA school, besides Colorado - however, whichever program I apply to and get accepted into, I will be more than grateful. I hope we can all become successful PA's and I wish you the best in this journey.

I completely agree with you. I do the same thing. That is why I am nervous for my essay, because I hope it makes them want to invite me to an interview and get to know me more.

There is always going to be somebody that is better than you in some area, but maybe weaker, or less experienced, than you in another. What I do think is so awesome about the PA community, both pre- and post-, is how supportive and helpful we all are. Yes, we are all competing against each other, but it's not a negative environment. 

• Like 2

Hi, 

I am going to apply to this cycle. I was going to apply last cycle, but decided to wait and take a gap year. I am hoping to stay in Washington State but I am looking at schools in Virginia and the surrounding area. 

My stats: 

PCE: 4000+ hours as a CNA, ~400 are from working in LTC the rest are from work in a dementia unit in a nursing home 

HCE: 100 hours as a ACS volunteer, 25 shadowing hours

GPA: Both my cumulative and science are a 3.45 

LOR: 1 PA, 2 nurse supervisors, 1 professor (microbiology) 

GRE: 312 

I’m confident in my personal statement, but my interview skills need work. I am feeling pretty OK with my chances if I stick to programs that seem like I would be a fit. 

16 hours ago, ParanoidCreep said:

Hi, 

I am going to apply to this cycle. I was going to apply last cycle, but decided to wait and take a gap year. I am hoping to stay in Washington State but I am looking at schools in Virginia and the surrounding area. 

My stats: 

PCE: 4000+ hours as a CNA, ~400 are from working in LTC the rest are from work in a dementia unit in a nursing home 

HCE: 100 hours as a ACS volunteer, 25 shadowing hours

GPA: Both my cumulative and science are a 3.45 

LOR: 1 PA, 2 nurse supervisors, 1 professor (microbiology) 

GRE: 312 

I’m confident in my personal statement, but my interview skills need work. I am feeling pretty OK with my chances if I stick to programs that seem like I would be a fit. 

That's great! I get so confused as to how to separate PCE and HCE. 

1 minute ago, ParanoidCreep said:

HCE is healthcare experience that isn't directly patient care so my HCE is my volunteer work at the American Cancer Society inside of a local clinic where I just talked to patients and love ones about resources that may help them. My PCE is patient care, so I directly am interacting and taking care of patients stuff. 

But that would be volunteer hours. Anything unpaid is volunteer hours.