Blood splatter

Wear fluid shield mask every time to keep it out of your mouth eyes and nose 

spray is coming from pressure of injection and a track to outside world.  Lido does no good if not in skin so stop injection and reposition needle 

use tiny needles ie 25 or 27g needles. My preferred is a 27 x 1.5(or maybe 1.25). This allows me to get all around mostly with a single skin puncture 

cover up the abcess/wound with a gloved hand holding 4x4 above it(takes some practice

good luck.  Abscess fluid and blood tastes and smells bad so wear that fluid mask 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I always try and inject with the needle pointing away from me, but what really works is I hold with off hand a few 4x4's and and create a "tent" with them over the injection site. It's a bit tricky as you have to see, but it can be done and generally reduces fluid in your face blowback by 90%.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator

I wear a pair of safety glasses with +3.0 diopter readers in them pretty constantly in clinic.  I don't usually get to do REALLY juicy abscesses or totally jagged lacs, so that works just fine for the occasional sebaceous cyst removal or skin biopsy.  Otherwise, I echo the full face shield advice above.

11 hours ago, SickEKMan said:

Anyone have luck using topical analgesia (lidocaine gel, LET, etc.) for abscesses?

Not much help, in my experience.  You really should be doing a field block for painful abscesses.  Simple and effective; you are injecting in a diamond shaped pattern outside the edges of the abscess.  Plenty of youtube videos out there if you need some guidance.

19 hours ago, SickEKMan said:

Anyone have luck using topical analgesia (lidocaine gel, LET, etc.) for abscesses?

nope, need to have broken skin for it to work

now having said that I will climb onto my soap box

clomp clomp clomp (three stairs to get on to box)

Topicals are GREAT!  Seriously great!

But don't be all like the bone headed interens, medical residents, and new surgical residents (they learn quick)  You gotta let the stuff stay on for a good 20-30 min - seriously it takes a long time - don't rush it just leave it on (soaking wet too)

I have used it in about every age - (needle phobia, mental health, fear of blood and the likes are all reasons to use it)

I even(gasp) used it on fingers (read somewhere the LET is okay for this)

More times then not (usually on new FMG medical residents) I suggested they wait 30 min but they are in there in 10min, not doing any lido injection "cause they have topical" and it feekin hurts the patient - I have had to leave the room "cause a PA can't correct a MD Resident....."

clomp clomp clomp - off soap box.....

• Like 2

On 1/12/2020 at 4:45 PM, ventana said:

But don't be all like the bone headed interens, medical residents, and new surgical residents (they learn quick)  You gotta let the stuff stay on for a good 20-30 min - seriously it takes a long time - don't rush it just leave it on (soaking wet too)

I've had to do the same education with topical lidocaine jelly for NG tubes with our nurses.  They'll use it as the lubricant for inserting the tube and think that the local is ineffective; once I told them to have the patient snort the jelly then wait 20 minutes, all of a sudden NG tubes are amazingly much more comfortable!