Catch 22 - Job Required Before State Medical License ?????

Hey everyone,

I will tell you how my experience in Georgia went/ is going. I am also a new graduate who has recently been hired in Ga. It is true that you need to have a job 1st before you can get your license in Ga, but to be honest every place I applied to already knew that. If they did not know, I told them and that did not seem to hinder the process.

Once I had all the necessary paperwork in, ( paperwork mentioned previously above), the medical board was quick to respond and I received emails, phone calls, and letters promptly. I also called them twice a week to make sure everything was going the way it was supposed to.

It is also true that the board meets once a month. If you go online you can find the meeting dates. I turned in my application maybe a week or two before the actual date. They say that you have to get all the information in within five business days or the application will not be reviewed until the following month. Once I did turn in my application I got information the following Monday. For ex. The meeting was say Sept 5 I found out that I was approved on the 9th which was the following Monday. They sent it to me in an email and through the mail with my license number on it. So once I had my license number I sent it to the credentialing office.

To tell you how long the process has been I was officially hired at the end of July but I won't start work until the beginning of Oct because of credentialing and licensing. I believe the process takes about eight weeks, which I believe has been the average for credentialing and licensing ( off in the hospital setting).

Finally once I was hired I sat down with my SP and had him fill out all the information right in front of me. I already had all the other information, such as getting the notary and getting my school to send things in,done previously, so I was able to put my application in the mail the same day.

I hope this helps and I apologize for any errors in spelling I am on my iPad, but if you have any questions you can PM me or just reply to the post. Good luck!!!!!!

Can28

Kelly,

Any luck????  Just checking in!

Hey There!! 

No luck yet. I did interview for an OccMed position at a major chemical company here. They were very clear in their being open to new grads. My application is ready go sans the physician signatures. My recruiter who is also a PA-C is in the process of securing a SP in case I am hired. I was told a decision would be made by this Friday.

@Can28: Thank you for your response and encouragement. I found it very reassuring. I was just on the phone with another recruiter who stated that she really likes the fact that the GCMB is good with keeping their applicants informed about the status of their licenses. 

Still trying to be patient in the meantime. Looking forward to my Halloween and door wreath projects....at least until Friday!!

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, 

I hope you all are doing well this holiday season. I know it's been a while, and I wanted to update you all on my job search status.

I have ceased my job search as of the end of October partially due to my inability to secure interviews and employment as well as an unexpected pregnancy. My EDC is 15 Feb 2013 and with my growing belly, I concluded that it wasn't worth pursuing employment if potential employees could exercise potential bias towards the endless possibilities of the uncertainties that come with being pregnant, giving birth, and being a brand new mom. My husband is also on the chopping block for reassignment in August and we are hoping that he will be receiving orders or at least confirmation by mid-January. So far, his branch manager and SGM are asking him to consider Germany or Fort Gordon, GA. Although, these options are supposedly available, there is still a possibility that he could be assigned to South Korea, Arizona, Upstate, NY, or God knows where....

Therefore, at 4 weeks postpartum, I am considering pursuing the following:

1. I plan to apply to EMPA residencies-especially the one offered at Medical College of Georgia in Augusta, GA just in case my husband is assigned to Fort Gordon.

2.  I will resume my job search and apply to open positions as they become available in the local area where my husband will be assigned - State, County, DoD, VA, and FBoP included.

3. I will be "squaring myself away" to ensure that I am eligible to join the Armed Forces as an Army or Air Force PA. This last will be my last resort if I fail to secure employment my the end of April 2014. 

I sincerely believe that my status as a brand new graduate, an inexperienced PA, and a mom-to-be have severely hurt my chances of getting a job in the PA career field. The only way I believe I can get a job considering my circumstances is "bucking up" and settling for the slave labor of residency, the low pay incentives for government jobs, and the daunting experience of re-entering the armed forces. Although, I am upset about my circumstances, I am excited about the possibilities that await me when I feel well enough to implement my plans this spring. I just wish it played out differently after I passed the PANCE. I'm pretty much over it for now and am now seeing this as a much needed break after going through 3 years of PA school with 2 kids and without my husband.

In the meantime, I've been relaxing, reading, keeping up with CME's, watching trashy TV, and delighting in my husband and kids giving me extra special attention. I'm also still looking for volunteer and shadowing opportunities until the baby arrives. :-)

Archived