Catch 22 - Job Required Before State Medical License ?????

Greetings,

I'm a Physician Assistant about to move to Atlanta from Florida. In the process of applying for my Georgia Medical License.

The Georgia Composite Medical Board tells me that I must have a job in Georgia and have the supervising physician sign the required paperwork BEFORE my Georgia medical license can be brought up to the board to even review and hopefully approve my application for a state license.

This is very odd and strange. The Medical Board only meets once a month and they say it could take 4-6 weeks to get approval or denial.

So I have to tell a prospective employer that if they want to hire me that they have to hire me first, then wait at least 4-6 weeks to even see if I get approved for a state license before I can work for them?? This is absurd. I've never heard of this before. In Florida you get your license first THEN you go out and get a job.

Feedback from Georgia PA's would be appreciated. Thanks.

Greetings,

I'm a Physician Assistant about to move to Atlanta from Florida. In the process of applying for my Georgia Medical License.

The Georgia Composite Medical Board tells me that I must have a job in Georgia and have the supervising physician sign the required paperwork BEFORE my Georgia medical license can be brought up to the board to even review and hopefully approve my application for a state license.

This is very odd and strange. The Medical Board only meets once a month and they say it could take 4-6 weeks to get approval or denial.

So I have to tell a prospective employer that if they want to hire me that they have to hire me first, then wait at least 4-6 weeks to even see if I get approved for a state license before I can work for them?? This is absurd. I've never heard of this before. In Florida you get your license first THEN you go out and get a job.

Assuming you have a clean license elsewhere you can actually get a temporary license before the board meets. But yeah its a screwed up situation. One of many things in the practice act that needs to be changed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am a PA (ortho) practicing in California, and looking to move to GA as well. I plan on submitting my application for GA license soon, without the necessary documents which need to be signed by one's supervising physician... ie: page 5 of initial application, form F (basic job description-PA-pri care). It does suck, that I'm looking at the prospect of interviewing (via long distance), without a license in hand. But if this is the way it's done, I guess I'll be doing it.

It appears that one in my position must interview with prospective GA employer/supervising physician to be, enter into an oral agreement to proceed together, submit the two forms of paperwork above at that point signed by my supervising physician to be, then get reviewed/obtain GA PA license (~4-6wks), then sign employment agreement with prospective employer/supervising physician. Could any GA PAs confirm that thought process as being appropriate?

The GA composite medical board website says that 'temporary licenses' are not available to PAs coming from practicing under another state license. Temp licenses seem to be intended for students looking to pass their boards/get cracking on interviews. Does this sound like the policy that you (GA PAs) see in practice? The med board has not returned my VM's nor emails. Strange.

Roman, how's your process been going since your orig post?

Thanks for reading!

The Georgia Composite Medical Board is one of the worst run medical boards in the country when it comes to PA's. They are notoriously difficult to communicate with and even if you do get someone you can't guarantee they will have the information or the authority to accomplish what you need. It's true that they only meet every 4-6 weeks and it's nearly impossible to get a real person on the phone to answer your questions. hoimorel is right, you will need to have some kind of agreement with a job in order for you to complete the license application. If your new SP doesn't sign that paperwork then your application will be rejected and you will have to resubmit and wait an additional 4 weeks. It is also true that the temp license is only available to new grads that are looking to pass the PANCE. One thing that will help is the fact that most offices/hospitals are aware of the difficulties when it comes to getting licensed, so they tend to be a bit more flexible. They have dealt with the issue before.

This is the info directly from the Georgia Composite Medical Board regarding temporary licensure:

"Temporary Practice Permits. The Board may issue a temporary permit to any applicant who

has otherwise met the requirements for Board licensure and who has either applied to take the

next available examination or has already taken the examination and is awaiting the results

thereof, with the following conditions:

a. The applicant must request this permit in writing.

b. Unless otherwise approved by the Board for extenuating circumstances, the permit shall be

valid for a maximum period of ninety (90) days, but shall expire immediately upon notification

of the applicant’s failure to achieve a satisfactory score on the approved certification

examination required in 360-5-.02(1)©"

Good luck with your quest to get licensed in the State of Georgia. Once you get licensed it's actually a very PA friendly place to work. Plus you can become a member of GAPA and have access to their yearly summer conferences at places like San Destin Beach, Florida and Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. I do enjoy working here, but the process to get licensed is a pain in the butt.

Jen:

I was told that you can start credentialing paperwork with a temp license. GBOM says once they receive your application and know for sure that you will be given a license, they can issue a temp license which can be used for credentialing. The only issue is changing the temp license number to the permanent license number once you get it. Some people have said this is difficult to do, but it allows them to get started sooner.

Jen:

I was told that you can start credentialing paperwork with a temp license. GBOM says once they receive your application and know for sure that you will be given a license, they can issue a temp license which can be used for credentialing. The only issue is changing the temp license number to the permanent license number once you get it. Some people have said this is difficult to do, but it allows them to get started sooner.

unfortunately my hospital will not credential a temporary license. most of my former classmates have had the same issue.

just to update any interested in what i found out regarding getting a job in GA from practicing as a PA out-of-state.

i did get someone on the phone at the GCMB and was advised to proceed most efficiently in this manner:

1) send in initial application package, minus page 5 of initial app and the form F (basic job description), which both need to be filled out by your GA supervising physician

2) have school, out of state board, letters of reference submitted to GCMB

3) interview in GA, get job offer, accept/sign job offer.

4) have new GA supervising physician submit delinquent doc's from #1 above, which one's initial application will be sitting at GCMB ready to be reviewed upon receipt of (q 4 wks).

5) get GA PA license

6) start working as GA PA

i'll throw out there that i'm looking to work in ortho-sx (3 yrs experience) in the greater atlanta area, so if anyone has any leads,, i'd be happy to hear about them. any ideas on job hunting besides some standards (indeed, paworld.net, craigslist, AAPA, GAPA,,)? thank you.

• 1 year later...
Greetings,

I know this is an old post, but I was researching the Georgia threads to see if I could get some clarification on the licensing process in the state of Georgia. I live in Savannah, GA (2 months now) with my Army husband. I recently graduated from UTHSCSA and moved here from San Antonio, TX. Most of my UTHSCSA classmates remained in Texas and have found work rather quickly. I decided to postpone securing employment until I passed the PANCE because I didn't want to get hired then fail the exam. Now that I have passed I have submitted about 25 resumes for publicized PA/NP positions, I'm having the worst of luck with getting callbacks and interviews. However, I do get phonecalls just about everyday from recruiters that have positions for everywhere in Georgia except for where I reside.

I have made contact with GCMB and was told that I my license application would not even get processed until I secure employment and have my SP complete, sign, and submit the remaining documents required to complete my application. Since I haven't found work yet, I haven't mailed in my incomplete application. I just received a phonecall from one of many recruiters and she told me the only reason I had not been considered for interview is because I don't have a license. I told her what GCMB told me, and she told me they (@ GCMB) gave me incorrect info. I have called GCMB and left messages and am eager for a callback.

I'm just glad it's not just me. Is anyone else out there having the same issues with finding employment or securing a license? I have given up on the state of Georgia. I have moved on to other states to look for work. Very angry at myself for moving here. :-/

try to find just the per diem job, any job for that matter. Just get your license

Hi Ventana, thank you for your response.

I wish I could just "get my license". That is my dilemma. The recruiter I spoke with told me that is why I can't even land per diems and locum tenen because I don't have a license.

I just got off the phone with the authorities at GCMB and they clarified to me for the 3rd time over a period of 2 months that my application WILL NOT BE REVIEWED NOR WILL I BE GRANTED A LICENSE, NOT EVEN A TEMP until my SP fills out and submits the paperwork after I am hired. No exceptions. This is so frustrating because I can't get a license because I'm not employed and I can't find employment because I don't have a license. "Got me going in circles..........'round & 'round I go.......". :-_-:

Very frustrated and disappointed. Really wish the MD's & DO's understood the obstacle new grads face when trying to find work in Georgia. No license, no work......No work, no license.

I'm just glad it's not just me. Is anyone else out there having the same issues with finding employment or securing a license? I have given up on the state of Georgia. I have moved on to other states to look for work. Very angry at myself for moving here. :-/

Very sorry you are going through this as, historically, PAs have had few problems finding jobs in Ga. Yes, there are exceptions, but for the most part grads from the PA programs (Emory, Mercer, South, and Ga Regents) find employment within a few mths of graduation, and many times prior to graduation. However, must admit that the area you are in, Savannah, I don't know much about the job market. I do know that a lot of the surrounding area is rural, thus many "mid-levels" are competing for those few positions - South churns out about 60+ new grads per yr, plus there are several NP programs in the area in Savannah and Statesboro. As you noted earlier, you may be stuck in that area due to husband's military obligations; which is unfortunate b/c for the most part Ga is a good state for PAs. Have you tried joining GAPA and establishing some contacts? There is a mentor list on their website (one can access without joining) that has PA contacts throughout the state; may try to contact one in that part of the state for any leads. As I'm sure you are aware, many PA open positions are not "advertised", so maybe establishing some contacts in that area may help. hhisPPAs

Very sorry you are going through this as, historically, PAs have had few problems finding jobs in Ga. Yes, there are exceptions, but for the most part grads from the PA programs (Emory, Mercer, South, and Ga Regents) find employment within a few mths of graduation, and many times prior to graduation. However, must admit that the area you are in, Savannah, I don't know much about the job market. I do know that a lot of the surrounding area is rural, thus many "mid-levels" are competing for those few positions - South churns out about 60+ new grads per yr, plus there are several NP programs in the area in Savannah and Statesboro. As you noted earlier, you may be stuck in that area due to husband's military obligations; which is unfortunate b/c for the most part Ga is a good state for PAs. Have you tried joining GAPA and establishing some contacts? There is a mentor list on their website (one can access without joining) that has PA contacts throughout the state; may try to contact one in that part of the state for any leads. As I'm sure you are aware, many PA open positions are not "advertised", so maybe establishing some contacts in that area may help. hhisPPAs

Thank you Medman2007 for the kind words and understanding. I've been a member of GAPA for about a year now, but I haven't considered contacting their mentors. That is great advice and I will apply it. I haven't established contacts because I don't know anyone and I am a little gun shy of initiating contact with physicians directly. Up until this point, I have sent my resume out to the HR reps and officer managers at many facilities here and I'm hoping for a callback or two. I do have to admit, I do feel that my lack of networking is hurting me. Therefore, my goal this week is to step out of my comfort zone and start networking on a personal level with other providers.

Thank you for all the great advice. I will keep you all posted on my progress.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived