Seeking reassurance but open to harsh criticsm

Hi all,

I am feeling very upset because I just found out that I received a C+ in General Chemistry II and a C in its lab. I keep hearing my PA friend saying: "Try to get the A.. PA school is super competitive man." YES I KNOW. 

So this is where I am at with prerequisites: General Biology I: C, General Biology I Lab: B, General Biology II: B-, General Biology II Lab: B, Human Anatomy & Physiology B, General Chemistry I: B+, General Chemistry I Lab: B+, General Chemistry II: C+, General Chemistry II Lab: C, Statistics: A- 

My overall is GPA is 3.234. My science GPA is 2.893.

I am an African and African Diaspora Studies Major and I would like to take Organic Chemistry I and II, Physics I, Biochemistry I,  Human Anatomy and Physiology II, Microbiology with lab, General Physiology, and Genetics.

Do I believe I can get A grades in upper level sciences? Yes.

Will I? We'll see.

Is it going to be extremely difficult for me? ABSOFRIGGINLUTELY. I have depression, anxiety, and a neuropsychological evaluation determined I have a full scale IQ of 86 (mean is 100 for those who don't know), specific learning disability (reading), and subclinical aspergers. 

I will work harder. No excuses.

Please reply,

Ian 

You’ve been dealt a tough hand. I applaud you for your successes up to this point.

You can find a list of programs with lower prereq GPA thresholds here.

I think you should know though that it only gets tougher from here. Given enough time, lots of people COULD complete PA school, but at some point the opportunity costs outweigh the reward. Every prospective PA student should ask themselves why they want to do it. Is it a money thing? There are lots of other professions that pay as much or more than what PAs earn on average.

All the same, best of luck to you.

4 hours ago, FearTheFin2021 said:

Hi all,

I am feeling very upset because I just found out that I received a C+ in General Chemistry II and a C in its lab. I keep hearing my PA friend saying: "Try to get the A.. PA school is super competitive man." YES I KNOW. 

So this is where I am at with prerequisites: General Biology I: C, General Biology I Lab: B, General Biology II: B-, General Biology II Lab: B, Human Anatomy & Physiology B, General Chemistry I: B+, General Chemistry I Lab: B+, General Chemistry II: C+, General Chemistry II Lab: C, Statistics: A- 

My overall is GPA is 3.234. My science GPA is 2.893.

I am an African and African Diaspora Studies Major and I would like to take Organic Chemistry I and II, Physics I, Biochemistry I,  Human Anatomy and Physiology II, Microbiology with lab, General Physiology, and Genetics.

Do I believe I can get A grades in upper level sciences? Yes.

Will I? We'll see.

Is it going to be extremely difficult for me? ABSOFRIGGINLUTELY. I have depression, anxiety, and a neuropsychological evaluation determined I have a full scale IQ of 86 (mean is 100 for those who don't know), specific learning disability (reading), and subclinical aspergers. 

I will work harder. No excuses.

Please reply,

Ian 

Ian,

It's hard to assess one person's odds, especially on the Internet.

I will note that many applicants have a middle 3 average (or more) in their science classes. You can estimate your final grades by taking your 2.893 times the credit hours already taken + the remaining credit hours x expected grades and then divide by the total of all science hours taken. As far as your "expected" grades, I'm assuming you have tried your best to get what you've gotten and just willing yourself to work harder may not practical. I'm assuming you've taken advantage of your school's counseling center, etc already.

You have overcome many obstacles to get to college and to be doing as well as you have and I salute you for that. Perhaps English isn't even your native language. I get it that a PA is what you want to be. Maybe that will work out for you; no one can be sure but you have a ways to go.

My concern is that you seem "married to" your plan. I don't see any back-up plan in terms of a major that would get you into some other allied health field, etc. While being "all in" with your plan can be exhilarating, having options is often a better bet since your interests and environment can change with age.

Best wishes!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...