Best States/Cities for PAs

• Administrator
44 minutes ago, jspreen said:

Anyone familiar with the best states/cities for physician assistants? How does Tennessee compare to California? Any links would be great! 

Anywhere that DOESN'T have a local PA program.  NYC is terrible.  Portland, OR is reasonably bad.  Move 1-2 hours away from a PA program and you have a much better chance landing a job as a new grad.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I’m in LA, new grad and it’s raining job offers for me, but I was an RT prior so that helped build my network. I recently accepted a side gig in wound care but just calling them directly and the pay is excellent. As for my other classmates, they all got jobs lined up just applying on indeed, so i would say SoCal is a good market

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michigan is a very PA friendly state from a legislative point of view. A law was passed in 2017 removing the terms "supervision" and "delegation" from any laws. We now work with a "participating physician" according to the terms of a "practice agreement". This law also allowed PAs to be independent prescribers with DEA numbers and do not require a physician signature for any prescription written including any and all scheduled medications. The only prescribing limitation we have is for medical marijuana and abortive drugs. 

The state of Michigan also has a wide spectrum of areas to work in ranging from extremely rural (upper peninsula) to urban big(ish) cities i.e. Detroit and metro Detroit areas, Lansing, Grand Rapids, etc. The pay is fairly average when compared to the rest of the country but Michigan is overall a fairly low cost of living state.

The biggest drawback, in my opinion, is going to be the saturation of the job market in the next decade. The state of Michigan currently has 6 PA programs with 2-3 more programs set to open in the next couple of years. There are many jobs available in Michigan but seemingly more and more employers are requiring a certain amount of minimum experience in the more populated areas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deltawave said:

Aren’t there a lot of stand alone ERs that hire PAs to run them? 

Yes there are a lot of stand alone ER's but AP's do not run them or work there alone.  At least I have never seen it.  The only ER's I have seen PA's alone in are rural, but EMDPA can speak to that.  The only place I have seen solo PA's is in Urgent Cares like mine.

49 minutes ago, Cideous said:

Yes there are a lot of stand alone ER's but AP's do not run them or work there alone.  At least I have never seen it.  The only ER's I have seen PA's alone in are rural, but EMDPA can speak to that.  The only place I have seen solo PA's is in Urgent Cares like mine.

Does Bowie memorial hospital in TX still staff solo PAs in the ED? 

1 hour ago, Cideous said:

Thanks. I understand there is a lot of “rural” in TX. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, deltawave said:

Thanks. I understand there is a lot of “rural” in TX. 

True, but rural ER's are attached to small hospitals.  Free standing ER's like Legacy etc are not in rural areas that I have seen.  Not enough money out there to steal and they are not set up to survive on Medicaid/Medicare which is the vast majority of what you get in rural Texas.

• Like 2