PA becoming MD

5 hours ago, BayPAC said:

newbie kikka, 

this is an interesting question, well debated in the past. I recommend utilizing the search tool and you will be able to find many details about it. 

thanks. my question is related to the fact i may need go back one day to europe and Pa does not exist except two countries and military field.My mother is been very sick and in life you think at many different aspects. So just says go to Med school is easy and very superficial to say.

So i would appreciate to have some details to understand if it is possible to update later. i searched and I didn't find anything actually. Any help much appreciated. 

26 minutes ago, KIKKA said:

thanks. my question is related to the fact i may need go back one day to europe and Pa does not exist except two countries and military field.My mother is been very sick and in life you think at many different aspects. So just says go to Med school is easy and very superficial to say.

So i would appreciate to have some details to understand if it is possible to update later. i searched and I didn't find anything actually. Any help much appreciated. 

Ok...if you literally can not use google to find this out and depending on an anonymous forum to just give you the answer- I can’t help you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, KIKKA said:

To be an MD, go to medical school, match, complete a residency, and obtain board certification in your chosen specialty.  Nothing a PA does impacts that in any way.  PA school is not medical school, doesn't meet the WHO definition of medical school, and conveys no structured advantage in med school application.  Now, PAs who go to medical school are likely going to be awesome doctors someday, but that's because they have the personal freedom and drive to do so.  Most PAs lack one or the other, and hence never pursue that path.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, thinkertdm said:

Ok...if you literally can not use google to find this out and depending on an anonymous forum to just give you the answer- I can’t help you.

i did find on google thanks. i was hoping to find here. of course google can have some answers, thanks 

2 hours ago, rev ronin said:

To be an MD, go to medical school, match, complete a residency, and obtain board certification in your chosen specialty.  Nothing a PA does impacts that in any way.  PA school is not medical school, doesn't meet the WHO definition of medical school, and conveys no structured advantage in med school application.  Now, PAs who go to medical school are likely going to be awesome doctors someday, but that's because they have the personal freedom and drive to do so.  Most PAs lack one or the other, and hence never pursue that path.

Or lack of $$$

5 hours ago, rev ronin said:

I looked at the WHO definition of medical school and it does appear three-year PA schools may meet the requirements.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, MedicinePower said:

I looked at the WHO definition of medical school and it does appear three-year PA schools may meet the requirements.

That would be interesting news.  I don't know that any PA schools are full-time three year programs.  It would be convenient (although not terribly practical since I can't possibly do a residency) if my alma mater could put me through a nine month additional program and call me eligible to sit for Step 1 and try and match... but I doubt it would be considered in the U.S.

On 12/22/2019 at 1:50 AM, rev ronin said:

That would be interesting news.  I don't know that any PA schools are full-time three year programs.  It would be convenient (although not terribly practical since I can't possibly do a residency) if my alma mater could put me through a nine month additional program and call me eligible to sit for Step 1 and try and match... but I doubt it would be considered in the U.S.

I know of at least one three year PA program. I don't know of any PA programs which are less than full-time.

If the OP wants to be an allopathic physician, the only option I'm aware of is to go to an allopathic medical school.  There are, to my knowledge, no PA-to-MD programs in the United States at this time.  There is one PA-to-DO program which accepts 12 students per year.  It's 3 years in length, then offers a DO degree upon graduation.

The problem is the DO degree is not recognized by all European countries.  

There are some allopathic (MD) schools which offer accelerated 3 year medical degrees......but they offer no advanced standing to PAs.

Hope this answers the OP's question.  

On 12/22/2019 at 1:50 AM, rev ronin said:

The founding program director at my program, and one of your friends, told us one time that there was a couple of countries where his DMS qualifies him as a physician. Know any bring about that?

• Administrator
1 hour ago, mooredc said:

The founding program director at my program, and one of your friends, told us one time that there was a couple of countries where his DMS qualifies him as a physician. Know any bring about that?

I do not.  It would be interesting to hear; PM him or her and copy me--I'd like to know more about this.

2 hours ago, mooredc said:

1 hour ago, rev ronin said:

I do not.  It would be interesting to hear; PM him or her and copy me--I'd like to know more about this.

very interesting idea - DMSc allows physician status in another country

Also, if they came up with a reasonable bridge even at 50 yrs old and two young kids I would consider it - just to get out of the stupid regulations and the attitudes that hamper me from practicing the way my patients deserve

Heck a bridge to DNP and independent practice would be even better!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, ventana said:

very interesting idea - DMSc allows physician status in another country

Also, if they came up with a reasonable bridge even at 50 yrs old and two young kids I would consider it - just to get out of the stupid regulations and the attitudes that hamper me from practicing the way my patients deserve

Heck a bridge to DNP and independent practice would be even better!!

Here's the thing though... what is considered a "decent" bridge and will that bridge go both ways? can med students sit for the PANCE after 3rd year if they want? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MediMike said:

PAs aren't medical students and medical students aren't PA students. Two very different tracks trained in different manners.

I strongly disagree with this. If I wasn't a med student then why did I do all of my rotations with MD students subjected to the same exact requirements and expectations of knowledge and skill?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, MedicinePower said:

I strongly disagree with this. If I wasn't a med student then why did I do all of my rotations with MD students subjected to the same exact requirements and expectations of knowledge and skill?

That may be true at some places, but definitely not where I go to school lol. Also, even if that was true for you, the med students also did 2x the preclinical and clinical training... But that's not really the question anyways. I am still wondering what people mean exactly by "bridge" and what that entails. And then do you think 3rd year med students can stop school, take PANCE, and become PA's?