Cost: Benefit

So, for all of you who are moving onwards and upwards in education...how are you weighing the above ratio? How many are doing this for personal satisfaction vs increased pay vs increased responsibility?

For those of you who have completed a doctoral level program, worth it overall in regards to either compensation, workload or respect in the workplace?

4 hours ago, MediMike said:

For those of you who have completed a doctoral level program, worth it overall in regards to either compensation, workload or respect in the workplace?

certainly more respect. schedule is the same as everyone else. I have a part time side job teaching global health, which paid for the degree in 2 years. everything from here on out is pure profit. 

personal satisfaction also a big factor. I do a lot of international medical missions and have a better role and understanding given my doctoral training. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the information man, I'm still a few steps behind just finishing off my MS, mainly so I could teach. Nice to see that it paid for itself pretty quickly.

Doesn't seem to be a career path for these degrees quite yet as they are fairly fresh in the world so it will be interesting to see what you trailblazers do with them.

...make it good so I've got a future alright?

• Like 1

Guest HanSolo
On 12/21/2019 at 12:24 PM, EMEDPA said:

certainly more respect. schedule is the same as everyone else. I have a part time side job teaching global health, which paid for the degree in 2 years. everything from here on out is pure profit. 

personal satisfaction also a big factor. I do a lot of international medical missions and have a better role and understanding given my doctoral training. 

Could you elaborate more on the "respect" aspect? How would you say you have noticed?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 12:26 AM, PACali said:

I did it because I still have about 30 years of practice time ahead of me. I see PA become doctorate level trained professionals. I wanted to get it out of the way now than later. Currently, I do part time teaching, but eventually may go into admin role. 

I initially did mine (DHSc) because I wanted to teach or go into admin.  The cost was about $30k paid over 3 1/2 years.  So, not a big hit to take.  The benefit. . . personal goal achieved.  I'm a high school drop out with a doctorate degree hanging next to my GED (okay, I don't actually have my GED hanging on the wall, but...).  When I finished my degree, I approached several local schools to teach.  Nobody cared I had a doctorate or that I was interested in teaching.  I did end up in admin (private practice), but can't say it was because of having a doctorate that they chose me.  It was toward my last 6 months or so finishing my degree that the DMSc starting popping up.  So, since I still have 30 years or practice left, I am glad I got it out of the way and won't need to worry down the road should the doctorate become the entry level.  I probably wouldn't have to worry any.  There are still many PAs out there without a master's degree and they are doing just fine.