New Grad Primary Care offer in CA - non-compete?

Hey y'all, was just offered a great position in outpatient internal medicine for a non-profit as follows:

Specialty: Primary Care in Los Angeles

Base Salary: $130K + $15K sign-on bonus paid throughout 2 years (negotiated up from $125K)

Productivity Bonus: Up to $1500 per quarter (productivity + patient feedback)

3 weeks of PTO + 1 week of sick time (accrued throughout the year)

$2500 + 5 days for CME

Licensing and professional memberships reimbursed.

Malpractice + Tail Coverage. Health Insurance offered, 403(b) with match that increases with seniority

Monday-Friday 8:30-5:30PM ~ 1 hour lunch, no call. Minimum patient load of 14 patients a day with an average of 16-18. SP is very welcoming and eager to teach, great on-boarding and training for 3 months.

Was pretty stoked with this offer, and I most likely will take it considering I've been fun-employed for 4 months post-grad. Kicker though: they want me to sign a 10 mile radius non-compete clause.

I've been able to negotiate up the salary, however, I can't seem to get them to remove the non-compete clause. It's my understanding that non-competes are unenforceable in CA, it's just that mile radius makes me a tad uneasy (that's all of LA!). Any suggestions on how to go about this, sign it and hope for the best?

Edited by WINO
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, AbeTheBabe said:

In fairness, depending on traffic, 10 miles in LA can easily take over an hour.

Yes, that will be something to become accustomed to. In the end, they ended up removing the clause, apparently there was a miscommunication between the person writing the contract and HR, it was supposed to be removed. 

Very excited to finally take the Uber sticker off my car! The job search was rough!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, WINO said:

Yes, that will be something to become accustomed to. In the end, they ended up removing the clause, apparently there was a miscommunication between the person writing the contract and HR, it was supposed to be removed. 

Very excited to finally take the Uber sticker off my car! The job search was rough!

Congrats! Good luck 🙂

• 1 month later...