Applying to multiple EM residencies

In the past few months, I've decided that I would like to do an EM residency and have sent applications out to 7 different programs. One of the residencies conducts its interviews a couple of months before most of the others. It is not my top residency program; if I were to get an acceptance from that program, it would be before I interviewed at the other facilities. In that situation, what would you recommend doing? Would I turn it down in the hopes that I got into one of my higher ranked programs?

3 minutes ago, NewbieEMPA said:

I applied for Baystate which interviews in February-March, but I've also applied for Albany and Weill-Cornell which don't interview until a couple of months later.

FWIW I have heard good things about Baystate. The  curriculum looks good:

https://www.baystatehealth.org/education-research/education/emergency-medicine-physician-assistant-residency/curriculum

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

23 minutes ago, NewbieEMPA said:

Thank you for letting me know! I just haven't heard anything about it other than what the website says

I’ve not heard about any of these really other than Albany. I like what baystate says about integrating you into the physician residency and the didactic curriculum, but it looks very low on off service rotations. The other at least have more off service rotations, but they are pretty short. The problem is they are all one year which makes it very difficult to fit all the good off service rotations. I think it was hard enough to get all the rotations I wanted in my 1.5 year. Just so much good stuff to do! 

after looking at them all, I wouldn’t turn down an acceptance from Baystate.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

I’ve not heard about any of these really other than Albany. I like what baystate says about integrating you into the physician residency and the didactic curriculum, but it looks very low on off service rotations. The other at least have more off service rotations, but they are pretty short. The problem is they are all one year which makes it very difficult to fit all the good off service rotations. I think it was hard enough to get all the rotations I wanted in my 1.5 year. Just so much good stuff to do! 

after looking at them all, I wouldn’t turn down an acceptance from Baystate.

Thank you for the advice!

I'm currently one of the EM PA fellows at Albany Med, ran into this similar problem when I was interviewing earlier this year. Had an offer from Albany on the table right as I found out about an interview at Arrowhead in CA which I also really liked, the 20 month doctorate track in particular. I ended up accepting the spot up here, and turned down my interview at Arrowhead. Definitely cliché but I went with the bird in the hand, both were strong programs that I knew were competitive. Agree with LT above, I almost wish we were 18 months to take advantage of all of the great off service rotations. 

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions, happy to help if I can. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jtpas said:

I'm currently one of the EM PA fellows at Albany Med, ran into this similar problem when I was interviewing earlier this year. Had an offer from Albany on the table right as I found out about an interview at Arrowhead in CA which I also really liked, the 20 month doctorate track in particular. I ended up accepting the spot up here, and turned down my interview at Arrowhead. Definitely cliché but I went with the bird in the hand, both were strong programs that I knew were competitive. Agree with LT above, I almost wish we were 18 months to take advantage of all of the great off service rotations. 

How did you make the determination that they were "strong programs"?  It's hard enough assessing all the new PA programs,  and the residency options are an even less known commodity unless you know someone that went there, or someone providing insight here on the forum.  I'm just curious about this topic.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess

13 minutes ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

How did you make the determination that they were "strong programs"?  It's hard enough assessing all the new PA programs,  and the residency options are an even less known commodity unless you know someone that went there, or someone providing insight here on the forum.  I'm just curious about this topic.

Looking at the websites can really show how much they are dedicated to the program. I called the programs and talked to the directors about “my patient/my procedure “ policies, any restrictions on ESI level (should be none), meeting all other ACGME requirements like bed available at hospital or pay for cab home after call,  and got graduate info to speak with them. Look at ED volume, inquire about admission rates, what type of population surrounds the hospital, what is the census for trauma, what kind of research comes out of the facility (if you like academics), how do they treat the PAs that are staff. It was quite a bit of work to narrow it all down for me, though I cut out a lot by eliminating any program that was less than 18 months. Not that they aren’t quality programs, but I wanted more off service rotations.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, jtpas said:

Thank you so much! Albany's program looks the strongest out of all of the programs I've applied to! I've already sent in all of my application materials. When do they typically interview? Their application season opened so early

1 hour ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

I called program directors and asked about dedicated time off service, didactic components, conferences, etc. Most importantly was talking with current and former fellows about their experience, immersion with physician residents, schedule, relationship with attendings, procedures, job opportunities following their time. I agree that more "residencies" are popping up every day, makes it tough for those interested to weed out the ones that are fast track/scut work in disguise.