I passed the PANCE on the sixth attempt in the sixth year!!- posted to encourage

Disclaimer: This post is for those who need a boost in morale, not for negative people or those who like to degrade. I've read other posts, such as " 4th attempt at PANCE", where people can get nasty therefore, I would appreciate it if someone has a negative or nasty comment in their thoughts, please keep it to yourself. Do not post it in this thread. Thank You!

Now that that's out the way. For all those who haven't passed or may not pass the exam the first time, the second time,the third time, the fourth time, the fifth time please, please do not feel like you can not do it. The hard part of getting through and graduating PA school says you can. If you don't know who God is or recognize that Jesus saves, please seek after him and become his friend, he is the only way that I made it and did it of course along with studying; not the way that worked for others, but what worked for me.

I never thought that this would ever happen to me nor go on for SIX YEARS, but

Here's what I finally did, I prayed, I fasted for 7 months (I lost 40 pounds) and studied 5-6 days a week, Sundays were my off day, that was dedicated to God.

I took bits and pieces of advice of what worked for others and formulated a plan that worked for me. Based on the NCCPA content blueprint I knew that Cardio, Pulm, GI, EENT, Ortho, Ob/Gyn were weighted the most so I focused studying one month for each topic, the rest of the topics I read over the following 2 months. I read the AAPA book, Van Rhee green book on each subject, along with the CME Resources Binder, not the Chicago 3 day one, the 5 day one, which has awesome material along with the pharm for each topic, since that is weighted pretty heavily also. Pharm is not my strongest subject.

Once I finished reading over each subject I did the topic questions in the Van Rhee, the AAPA pre and post test, Exam Masters, Appleton and Lange and a few other books, the ones that I listed mostly though because doing questions, questions and more questions with the understanding of each disease entity is what's key. If you memorize, not understand, you will not pass and that was what I was doing wrong the whole time. I tried to memorize everything as in school where it was always crunch time, which worked then, but I didn't take the time to truly understand and think critically which is what's needed for the boards and when treating patients.

I also did 6 packrats, the 4 CME Test questions they give with the course, and the 4 CME Chicago Questions.

Anything I had wrong I referenced back to the AAPA book or CME binder to see why had it wrong and wrote down the things that I continually had wrong or that I thought I would see again.

There are some questions that you just may never run into again. There is so much to know about each disease and everything is very broad. There will be things on the exam that you have never seen in your studies but not so many that you can't pass.

My grades were AAPA pre and post: 80-100%- OB/GYn I had the 100%, Not one of my strongest subjects in PA school, which surprised me.

Exam masters : 60-65%, It seems that most people that passed were in this range

CME : 80-95%

packrats : 80-90%

Please believe in yourself, you can do it by God's grace. Remember everything happens according to God's plan. The point is that I passed before the time was too late for me. I never gave up. I never lost hope. It's not about how many times you've taken the exam but it's about the fact that you've passed and made it.

This journey has opened up my eyes to see truly who God is and that he has helped me through this, it was not my doing. Believe it. Receive it.

If you have any questions, please inbox me. I am willing to help in any way that I can for those who would like the help.

Disclaimer: This post is for those who need a boost in morale, not for negative people or those who like to degrade. I've read other posts, such as " 4th attempt at PANCE", where people can get nasty therefore, I would appreciate it if someone has a negative or nasty comment in their thoughts, please keep it to yourself. Do not post it in this thread. Thank You!

Now that that's out the way. For all those who haven't passed or may not pass the exam the first time, the second time,the third time, the fourth time, the fifth time please, please do not feel like you can not do it. The hard part of getting through and graduating PA school says you can. If you don't know who God is or recognize that Jesus saves, please seek after him and become his friend, he is the only way that I made it and did it of course along with studying; not the way that worked for others, but what worked for me.

I never thought that this would ever happen to me nor go on for SIX YEARS, but

Here's what I finally did, I prayed, I fasted for 7 months (I lost 40 pounds) and studied 5-6 days a week, Sundays were my off day, that was dedicated to God.

I took bits and pieces of advice of what worked for others and formulated a plan that worked for me. Based on the NCCPA content blueprint I knew that Cardio, Pulm, GI, EENT, Ortho, Ob/Gyn were weighted the most so I focused studying one month for each topic, the rest of the topics I read over the following 2 months. I read the AAPA book, Van Rhee green book on each subject, along with the CME Resources Binder, not the Chicago 3 day one, the 5 day one, which has awesome material along with the pharm for each topic, since that is weighted pretty heavily also. Pharm is not my strongest subject.

Once I finished reading over each subject I did the topic questions in the Van Rhee, the AAPA pre and post test, Exam Masters, Appleton and Lange and a few other books, the ones that I listed mostly though because doing questions, questions and more questions with the understanding of each disease entity is what's key. If you memorize, not understand, you will not pass and that was what I was doing wrong the whole time. I tried to memorize everything as in school where it was always crunch time, which worked then, but I didn't take the time to truly understand and think critically which is what's needed for the boards and when treating patients.

I also did 6 packrats, the 4 CME Test questions they give with the course, and the 4 CME Chicago Questions.

Anything I had wrong I referenced back to the AAPA book or CME binder to see why had it wrong and wrote down the things that I continually had wrong or that I thought I would see again.

There are some questions that you just may never run into again. There is so much to know about each disease and everything is very broad. There will be things on the exam that you have never seen in your studies but not so many that you can't pass.

My grades were AAPA pre and post: 80-100%- OB/GYn I had the 100%, Not one of my strongest subjects in PA school, which surprised me.

Exam masters : 60-65%, It seems that most people that passed were in this range

CME : 80-95%

packrats : 80-90%

Please believe in yourself, you can do it by God's grace. Remember everything happens according to God's plan. The point is that I passed before the time was too late for me. I never gave up. I never lost hope. It's not about how many times you've taken the exam but it's about the fact that you've passed and made it.

This journey has opened up my eyes to see truly who God is and that he has helped me through this, it was not my doing. Believe it. Receive it.

If you have any questions, please inbox me. I am willing to help in any way that I can for those who would like the help.

Congratulations and God Bless!

Phil 4:13

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Thank you to all who have posted encouraging words. I also want to add as I remember my program director had even said when we first started our first semester in his entrance speech that if anyone had to take the boards more than twice they would never pass the exam. I see that God had to shut his mouth. I pray that he never speaks these words to students anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

The notion that you can come to a free, public, open forum and demand that people post/respond with ONLY what YOU want to hear/read is Absurd, Ludacris and Delusional...

As for the topic...

There SHOULD be a limit on the number of times a person can consecutievly FAIL the PANCE/PANRE.

IMNSHO... you were allowed to test 2... too many times.

Good Luck...!!!

Hope you don't kill someone.

Also, could you PLEASE not respond harshly to this post... cause this reply ain't here for that.

I want you to only respond, on this free, open, public forum with only nice and pleasent things that I want to read.

Oh... and send me a PM letting me know where you will practice, so that I know what state NOT to get ill in or at the least, fly out of should I or a loved one become ill while visiting.

Thanks

Contrarian

The notion that you can come to a free, public, open forum and demand that people post/respond with ONLY what YOU want to hear/read is Absurd, Ludacris and Delusional...

As for the topic...

There SHOULD be a limit on the number of times a person can consecutievly FAIL the PANCE/PANRE.

Good Luck...!!!

Also, could you PLEASE not respond harshly to this post... cause this reply ain't here for that.

I want you to only respond, on this free, open, public forum with only nice and pleasent things that I want to read.

Oh... and send me a PM letting me know where you will practice, so that I know what state NOT to get ill in or at the least, fly out of should I or a loved one become ill while visiting.

Thanks

Contrarian

My only question is: How involved was your program in helping you after you failed the first time? the second time? the third time?...

One really has to wonder what level of academic excellence a program offers if this is allowed to happen without regard for the student. I realize that there may be a sink or swim mentatlity out there, but again, where there no "red flags"? No academic review boards along the way?

IMHO there are responsibilities on both sides of that exchange, all along the way and even after graduation.

Contrarian: ;)

My only question is: How involved was your program in helping you after you failed the first time? the second time? the third time?...

One really has to wonder what level of academic excellence a program offers if this is allowed to happen without regard for the student. I realize that there may be a sink or swim mentatlity out there, but again, where there no "red flags"? No academic review boards along the way?

IMHO there are responsibilities on both sides of that exchange, all along the way and even after graduation.

Contrarian: ;)

• 2 weeks later...

As for the topic...

Good Luck...!!!

Thanks

Contrarian

Nicely put...probably represents the views of many who read this, but won't say it.

Archived