Masters prior to PA school...

Hey all, 

Been reading a lot about applicants who have taken a biology/health-science/etc. masters program in an effort to improve their GPA or to "show" PA schools that they can handle tough, upper level coursework. I was wondering what you'd consider the "cut-off" to be for when you should or should not pursue a masters? Anything less than 3.7? 3.6? 3.5? 3.4? 

Quite frankly I've been considering this myself (I'd be happy to provide my stats). I know a lot of factors obviously go into a decision like this (trends, cGPA, sGPA, pre-reqGPA, HCE, shadowing, the application as a whole, etc.), but just kinda wondering what peoples inclinations are on this. 

Thanks!

Edited by jenkinsij
changing title

I got into PA school with a little less than a 3.7 cgpa with only an undergrad if that helps. I made up for it with my experience I think.

i feel anything less than a 3.5 I would have done something drastic like a masters.

Edited by Samson113

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Emmaisajar
      Hello! I have been taking an online 16wk self-paced biology course (w/lab). I started the course in October and plan to finish in January. I have been accepted to 2 PA programs (one which does not require this additional biology class and the other which does) and am waiting to hear back from 2 other programs that I interviewed at. Long story short, the class has not been going super well and while I have learned the information, the grades are not reflecting my knowledge and understanding and I don't want to send along a crappy grade if I don't need to... 
      So, my question is: I know I will have to submit this grade to the school that requires the course (should I choose to attend this program) but since the other schools do not require this course, can I choose to not send this grade/transcript along to them? Or do schools require every single transcript to be sent to them? 
      I sincerely appreciate the help and feedback!
    • By Wallycj
      Good evening all,
      I am just starting out my career as a physician assistant. I have been in the military for 10 years as an active duty corpsman and I’m planning on doing 10 more as an officer and physician assistant and retiring. Whilst in, a goal is to attend an emergency medicine fellowship and get my doctorate. 

I have had the CIA and State department (US embassies) on my mind for a while now as career paths once I finish my time in the military. I am wondering if anybody has any input, personal experience, or recommendations for me. I have a pretty good understanding of how each system works. I am looking for more specific information, comparison of the two agencies, paths to build myself while still active duty, things to make myself more appealing, a way to get a foot in the door while I’m still in, a personal contact with experience. These kinds of things. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and I appreciate any responses,
      Chris
    • By vkbrba
      Please help me make a complete list of Pros and Cons of being a PA vs Physician.

Pros___________________________________
      Physician Assistant:
      Shorter School Less expensive Work Life Balance Lateral movement in career Doctor:
      Greater Pay More Autonomy Cons__________________________________
      Physician Assistant:
      Lower Pay Less Autonomy Doctor: 
      Longer Training (residency) Limited to one medical specialty   

• By mattblair
      I am trying to decide whether or not to get certified in this and get PCE from it. I want to know if most schools accept this or if they don’t really care for it. Any feedback helps! 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More