Planning the future

Hi guys! I applied to PA school on this cycle on 7/9/2019 to 8 schools and got one interview and waitlist (Arcadia) and rejected from the rest. I have a feeling it is my GPA (3.4 overall, 3.2 science), but I'm not sure how to overcome that -- the only way I can think of that will significantly boost my GPA is by attending a post-bacc program, but most programs are full time and I am living on my own and need to work.

For my patient care hours, I have 4000+ hours working full time for 2 and 1/2 years at a hospital on a pediatrics unit. I have the opportunity to move and learn outside of my comfortable patient care bubble where I am now. Would it be helpful for me to continue working in some different patient care setting, or do you think it would be beneficial for me to work as a scribe and learn that way -- and hopefully get a nice LOR from a provider? 

Thanks in advance!

I’ll jump in for some encouragement- I worked full time during my post bacc and took classes a la carte. Tons of people do it and manage to apply/receive an acceptance every cycle. There’s no need to quit your job and do an expensive post bacc program! I’d recommend doing your research on nights and weekend classes at local universities if you work a 9-5 (like I do).If you have weekdays free, you’re in an even better position to do it. Good luck!

@MT2PA Sorry, you're right! I'm a CNA. I just did a quick calculation of my most recent hours worked, and it puts me at 4281.

I'm just feeling a bit discouraged. I've been taking classes since I graduated in 2016 to improve my GPA while building up my patient care hours. I think maybe I need to just take classes at CCs to try to boost my GPA as best as I can and try not to worry about these Pre-Health prep classes ... And maybe wait until 2021 to reapply ...

Do you all think it would be a good plan for me to try to find scribe work with a different patient population to diversify my application and get a provider LOR? This cycle, I had recommendations from my microbiology teacher, who is the biology department head, my nurse manager, and a clinical coordinator who I had also worked with as a floor nurse. 

Edited by runningintopa

Have the extra courses you've been taking going well?  It can be an uphill climb depending on how many credits from undergrad may be dragging down your GPA, however a trend towards improvement - and continued improvement - is also beneficial. Many programs will do a recalculation of your most recent 60 credits, so if those are looking strong, boosting your stats there can only help, as previous posters mentioned.

For your CNA role, what are your typical responsibilities? The CNA role can vary widely from strong patient care experience to weaker. I don't think your patient population matters so much as your opportunities within your role.

Yes, pretty well! I have taken 4 classes since graduation, which have all been B's or A's (mostly A's). The GPA I gave is for all the courses I've taken (and all the science classes).

My CNA role involves all patient ADLs, taking vitals, EKGs, checking blood sugars, phlebotomy, urinalysis ... I describe my job as similar to an RN, except without any meds. It's pretty all inclusive. I mention my patient population because we get all kinds of medical conditions within the floor -- trauma, acute conditions, chronic patients ... I see foleys, vents, trachs, g-tubes, central lines, etc etc. I think it is a pretty solid patient care experience. That's why I'm so quick to say it is a GPA issue, not a PCE issue. Though, the more, the better!

I also wonder how I came across in my interview, and in my overall application. 

But anyways -- I think here's my plan:

Work until 2021 as a scribe

Take classes at a CC - definitely retake Chem 1 and 2, which I did poorly in. Should I take Organic 2 and Biochem? If so, when? I took Organic 1 in the Fall 2018 for the second time and got an A, but I know Organic 1 to organic 2 would be cumulative. Maybe I should take that first, then Biochem, then chem 1 and 2? I did not take the 2nd level of organic 2 before applying to school the first time because  I needed to take Microbio and the programs I applied to did not require Organic 2 -- but I know a lot of places do ...