3 and 6 year old kids Christmas presents....

Wondering what everyone thinks of Christmas

I had kids late so my wife and I are pretty comfortable

Seems like Christmas just means a ton-o-sh$$ most of which is plastic from China and lasts a few times then collects dust

Wondering if other have started the idea of giving "experiences" instead of presents - ie weeks at camp, vacations, horseback riding lessons and the like

Anyone been through this with words of advice??

• Upvote 1

Wondering what everyone thinks of Christmas
I had kids late so my wife and I are pretty comfortable
Seems like Christmas just means a ton-o-sh$$ most of which is plastic from China and lasts a few times then collects dust
Wondering if other have started the idea of giving "experiences" instead of presents - ie weeks at camp, vacations, horseback riding lessons and the like

Anyone been through this with words of advice??

https://www.mother.ly/child/its-science-giving-experiences-instead-of-toys-boosts-your-kids-intelligence-happiness

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest HanSolo

All great ideas. I love the idea of giving experiences. 

That being said, they're still little kids, so maybe one or two cheap Chinese made toys that augment the experience (e.g. giving a nice toy horse with horseback riding lessons) could be nice. 

We stick with old fashioned toys that require imagination.....

Lincoln Logs in a big tin.

Legos forever.

Wood building blocks.

Cars of all shapes and sizes and a rug that goes in the bedroom floor that has a map of a city with roads, etc.

Costume pieces -  pirate dress up and a big cardboard box. Any kind of dress up imagination works well.

I do like the experience thing as well - my kids were better with it at a bit older age. More appreciated.

Too many electronics and not enough self brain work, in my opinion.

I was a Tonka Toy girl. I had the ones you could actually ride on in the yard when I was a kid. LOVE those things. Got to drive  a real backhoe for my 30th birthday (moons ago) and dig holes and stuff. THE BEST. 

Enjoy!!!!

I have a 1.5yo girl...and this is a MAJOR gripe for me.  I HATE plastic toys that require no imagination...and I am known to donate brand new toys that are noisy and require expensive batteries.

We didn't do it this year, but 100% plan on next year requesting from grandparents gifts that are experiences: piano lessons, ballet lessons, zoo membership, etc.

5yo and 2yo kids here.

We do experience gifts, books, and one present each. We put puzzles and pencils and one "wow" candy item in their stockings.

This year is the second year we're taking our 5-year-old to the Nutcracker and she is getting a pack of passes to the local climbing gym. Our 2 year-old is getting a NatGeo Little Kids magazine subscription and a trip to the zoo without his sister. We purchased a membership to the Kids Moon Club for them which is something we do as a family (highly recommended, membership is open now).

They each get two new books. And gifts this year are a small LCD writing tablet for the 5yo and an electric train set for the 2yo.

I also love the idea I saw somewhere of asking the kids to donate a toy at Christmas. We made them both select toys for a yard sale benefiting the Ronald McDonald House over the summer and it was hard for them, but so worth doing.

• Upvote 1