Sign in to follow this  
SoCalStudent

Attending graduation ... or not?

I am a couple of months out from graduation and am wrestling with whether or not to attend the ceremony. A bit about my situation: unfortunately, I never really felt a strong sense of cohort with my classmates, so while I have several friends, never really developed a "group" or other support system within my class. Adding to that, my program got a new director about a year ago and a slew of changes were made that weren't student focused (or to our benefit); that, along with other encounters I won't bore you with, left me with not-so-great sentiments for our program's administration.

My inclination is to not attend, because I feel like it's a hypocritical to grip and grin with everyone for the sake of show, but my friends insist I'll regret it forever if I don't go (like they say about the prom, hahaha!).

Thoughts? I appreciate any insight/opinions from people who did/didn't attend theirs (and whether they regretted it or not).

8 hours ago, SoCalStudent said:

I am a couple of months out from graduation and am wrestling with whether or not to attend the ceremony. A bit about my situation: unfortunately, I never really felt a strong sense of cohort with my classmates, so while I have several friends, never really developed a "group" or other support system within my class. Adding to that, my program got a new director about a year ago and a slew of changes were made that weren't student focused (or to our benefit); that, along with other encounters I won't bore you with, left me with not-so-great sentiments for our program's administration.

My inclination is to not attend, because I feel like it's a hypocritical to grip and grin with everyone for the sake of show, but my friends insist I'll regret it forever if I don't go (like they say about the prom, hahaha!).

Thoughts? I appreciate any insight/opinions from people who did/didn't attend theirs (and whether they regretted it or not).

I think you're overthinking this a bit. I've graduated four times since high school, attended three and missed one because we had moved. It wasn't worth going back for so we didn't. Went to all our kids' graduations though and hope to see at least some of our grandkids graduate.

Your attendance is for you, your family, and friends. It will also be the last time you see some of the people in your class and celebrate your accomplishment.

If your parents are still alive, consider their feelings too. 

• Upvote 2

On 11/28/2019 at 8:09 PM, UGoLong said:

I think you're overthinking this a bit. I've graduated four times since high school, attended three and missed one because we had moved. It wasn't worth going back for so we didn't. Went to all our kids' graduations though and hope to see at least some of our grandkids graduate.

Your attendance is for you, your family, and friends. It will also be the last time you see some of the people in your class and celebrate your accomplishment.

If your parents are still alive, consider their feelings too. 

I am definitely overthinking haha -- I appreciate your insight, thanks!

My program had graduation overkill:  a white coat ceremony, the school of med grad ceremony, and the university wide ceremony.

I attended only the white coat as that was the one I felt most relevant.  Some folks did all 1, 2, or all 3 but everyone did the white coat ceremony.  And trust me, I was definitely a loner/without a group but I'm glad I did at least that.