I'm a recent graduate. I've been at my first job for 3 months. I work in a busy private endocrinology practice. It has been very difficult for me for various reasons. I'm looking for help and advice regarding insulin pump therapy. I've taken over managing type 1 and type 2 diabetics on continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion, and it's been a trial and error, learn-as-I-go experience. I'm frequently uncomfortable with this daily (hourly...) aspect of my job. Are there any PAs out there who weren't naturals at managing pump pts? The PA that trained me (and I learned as much as I could from him before he left) was very knowledgeable and handled pump therapy with great efficiency; I have not mastered this skill at all! I feel and consider myself completely inadequate. I need help, and I've reached out to my SP and the clinical pump support reps that come into the office, but I'm not catching on as quickly as I need to. As a new graduate, I feel I've been given too much autonomy; I have expressed my concerns with my SP, and I am left trying to keep my head above water.

I need help. Are there any resources out there for providers regarding management of patients on insulin pump therapy? There is so much I don't know, and I work 50-60 hours a week; I study when I can, but I need direction and resources. Please - pearls, tips, red flags - any input you want to give, I'm listening.

I really appreciate any advice.

Signed,

Discouraged

Managing Type 1's is intimidating, and I have some patients with severe hypoglycemic reactions. Slight changes to their rates, ratios or sensitivities throw their whole routine off. I'm having trouble relating expected physiologic trends to how I should adjust and optimize the pump settings. For example, how do I decipher that a patient is experiencing dawn phenomenon when they are on the pump? How do I adjust to prevent it?

There are just some scenarios that I don't know where to find the answers. Thank you for the reference, I'll definitely pick it up. I'm still getting comfortable with MDI...do you recommend a particular book or site on insulin therapy for professionals?

Managing Type 1's is intimidating, and I have some patients with severe hypoglycemic reactions. Slight changes to their rates, ratios or sensitivities throw their whole routine off. I'm having trouble relating expected physiologic trends to how I should adjust and optimize the pump settings. For example, how do I decipher that a patient is experiencing dawn phenomenon when they are on the pump? How do I adjust to prevent it?

There are just some scenarios that I don't know where to find the answers. Thank you for the reference, I'll definitely pick it up. I'm still getting comfortable with MDI...do you recommend a particular book or site on insulin therapy for professionals?

have you ever considered becoming a pump trainer, you could simply contact the local medtronic or insulet rep for more knowledge, and certification on using those particular pumps. The American Association of Diabetes Educators offers a lot of information regarding all aspects of diabetes.

have you ever considered becoming a pump trainer, you could simply contact the local medtronic or insulet rep for more knowledge, and certification on using those particular pumps. The American Association of Diabetes Educators offers a lot of information regarding all aspects of diabetes.

Archived