Interesting job posting

I received this in my email. Guess they pulled my info from the DocCafe site.

My client in the  Panhandle of Texas is looking for someone with ED experience (low volume) and is comfortable rounding on patients in the hospital:
*  Average 4-7 patients a day in both the ED and hospital
*  Average 20 plus patients in the clinic
*  Must be able to do intubations and central lines
*  Work independently with tele-medicine backup
*  Rarely called into the ED after 11pm

Honestly it sounds like an interesting gig. Low volume place, unknown how the acuity is. But with ED and inpatient roles could be interesting. It appears that the firm looking to staff this position is Fidelis Partners. 

On 11/30/2019 at 7:29 PM, cc56 said:

That is interesting.  The "called in" part was very interesting.  What is call back time, or are you sleeping there? 

I'm assuming you're in house managing inpatients and then get called into the ED if a patient shows up.

The way the posting is written makes it sound like the PA basically runs the whole hospital while on shift. Pretty neat.

• Like 1

Would need a lot more information. This is similar to my gigs where I manage the whole hospital, ED and inpatient, on shift. Lots of these is rural Midwest.Though I don’t do any clinic, so I would need to know there exact inpatient and ED census. Also need to know is it call from home, do I get paid extra if I’m called in since it’s “rare”, how many shifts per week, what imaging and labs are available, what happens to clinic if I have to deal with a trauma or a septic patient that I can’t leave for hours, and lots more. The clinic really complicated things and I would hesitate to do it unless they paid me at least 180k.

8 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

Would need a lot more information. This is similar to my gigs where I manage the whole hospital, ED and inpatient, on shift. Lots of these is rural Midwest.Though I don’t do any clinic, so I would need to know there exact inpatient and ED census. Also need to know is it call from home, do I get paid extra if I’m called in since it’s “rare”, how many shifts per week, what imaging and labs are available, what happens to clinic if I have to deal with a trauma or a septic patient that I can’t leave for hours, and lots more. The clinic really complicated things and I would hesitate to do it unless they paid me at least 180k.

Agreed. Too many responsibilities for a low salary gig. I'm no longer in TX so not considering this, but it's interesting to see how they are using a PA.

Agree with the above post the clinic part complicates this job. I work PRN at several facilities where I provide solo coverage of the ED and floor. Let me tell you even “low” volume things can get crazy quick. Get a good trauma in the ED that you have to fly out, followed by a septic pt on the floor needing attention, plus a bunch of cold/flu nonsense clogging up the ED, followed by a chest pain admission... you can see how it gets crazy quick.

However, with good experience if the job is paying right it can make for a fun weekend.