New Grad Job Market???

New grad here originally from out of state but lived in SLC for 3 years between undergrad and PA school. Completed PA school back in home state and have returned to Utah now. I have been applying to PA positions since the July (2019) and have had a handful of inquiries about interviews with only one official interview. When they would ask how soon I could interview, at the time I was still in my home state which I would inform them, and would immediately be told "let me talk to the hiring manager and we will get back to you" only to never hear back. After trying to reach these individuals several times I would cut my losses and move on. So here I am with one interview under my belt from just a month ago. I will be taking the PANCE in the next couple of weeks. Is it likely that I may have more interest once I take the PANCE? I feel as though no one wants to talk to a new grad (especially from an out-of-state program) or is this just me?

I had similar difficulties. I'm a Utahn that moved to CT for school. Fortunately I finished my last two rotations here in Utah which helped but it still took time and it was hard to get interviews. I was extremely proactive about following up, cold calling, sending resumes out to places without actual postings and such. I was vigilant about always following up with where ever, or whomever I had sent my resume to. As you become certified and licensed, I will bet you will have more luck, that was the case for me. I only got interviews after I was certified. 

My timeline was as follows

Moved from CT back to UT in Dec 18, Started applying for jobs, finished the last two rotations in UT by March 19, graduated May 19, two interviews total in May, then had a job by June, started in August. 

I hope this helps. I can greatly sympathize with the difficult job market here that I experienced recently. Message me anytime! 

Thank you for the reply, it is definitely a bit of a reassurance. I’ve certainly been working the follow up as often as I can and I try to speak to someone involved in the hiring process either prior to or after I submit my application. It looks like I’ll keep doing what I’ve been doing and focus on the PANCE in the meantime. 

On 11/25/2019 at 11:18 PM, Minne28 said:

Is it likely that I may have more interest once I take the PANCE? I feel as though no one wants to talk to a new grad (especially from an out-of-state program) or is this just me?

Same situation here. Left CO to go to PA school. Been trying to get a job here for almost 3 months now. Not just in CO. But in Utah, Idaho, New Mexico, Wyoming, and Montana. Hell, I’ve even started looking in Alaska. Have had one interview out of dozens and dozens of applications and follow-ups. The Midwest is flooded with NPs. They really just run the show out here unfortunately. Which leaves little room for Midwest PAs or PAs that actually want to practice rural medicine. So the answer to your question is no, it’s not just you. No, it’s not because you haven’t taken the PANCE yet. It’s because you’re a new grad. It’s because the Midwest and many more regions across the country are saturated to the point of a fever pitch in this entire profession. It’s because NPs lobby and successfully take over the market. As someone who had followed the home market closely during school, it hit an all time saturation high as of just this last year, literally. SLC seems to have more jobs than most areas around here, so that can offer some hope. GL on the boards.