• $190-199k
    • $200-209k
    • $210-219k
    • $220-229k
    • $230-239k
    • $240-249k
    • $250k and >

47 minutes ago, CAdamsPAC said:

We "Old Guy PAs" are not looking to take "The Golden Fleece" home with us weekly, being comfortable and not having to hustle is just fine for us empty nesters, without home mortgages  and who enjoy driving 5 year old cars.

I'm getting there. House will be paid off in a few years, kid goes to college next year, but we have money set aside for that, wife's car is paid off, and mine will be in a few years. Got a great deal on a 2 year old mini cooper with AWD so I couldn't say no. Prior car was 8 years old. Quality of life and quality of time at work are more important to me than the big buck at this point. If I wanted to kill myself I could probably pull around 300k between multiple jobs and teaching, but I just don't want to work that hard...

• Upvote 1

On 12/31/2019 at 10:49 PM, JMann said:

8, 12hr shifts a month at regular solo coverage ED job. 2, 24hr shifts month at part time job, solo coverage ED. That schedule gets me around $180k. Usually work one extra day at primary place per month and try to get 2-4, 24s at part time. 2020 should be $190k-$200k. I'm usually off 4-5 days per week most weeks. Pretty sweet! 

That sounds awesome! Is scheduling difficult? Do you plan 6 months ahead of time?

On 1/2/2020 at 3:29 AM, CookiePA said:

That sounds awesome! Is scheduling difficult? Do you plan 6 months ahead of time?

It is awesome! W2 employee at both jobs. Schedule isn't too difficult. Only about 2 months out for planning. Primary job is weekend package, so I work Sat/Sun overnights and get paid time and a half to do so. I then fit the 24hr part-time gig in during the week. I'm off A LOT. So much so, that I'm looking to get into some rental properties this year since I have the time to deal with them. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I was just thinking.. Are we compensated fairly for what we do?  I am a salaried employee, not eligible for overtime.  I make between $60-65 an hour with good benefits.

My spouse is an RN.  She makes $40 an hour base pay.  With her shift-differentials (evening, night-time, weekend, holiday) generally she is making $50 an hour.  Often times there is "crunch pay" where they will give you time and a half, or an extra $10 hour to come into work.  Suddenly she is making $60+ an hour.

I have family members who work for public school systems.  They are making around $90,000 on salary.  That being said, they have 3 months off in the summer to do whatever the want.  Sleep, watch Jerry Springer, travel, recuperate.  If you factor in the 3 uncompensated months off, again they are being paid equivocal to a PA.  

I believe given the number of days we work, the high stress involved in our occupation, and the high stakes... we are under-compensated for what we do.

That is all.  

28 minutes ago, ShakaHoo said:

So I was just thinking.. Are we compensated fairly for what we do?  I am a salaried employee, not eligible for overtime.  I make between $60-65 an hour with good benefits.

My spouse is an RN.  She makes $40 an hour base pay.  With her shift-differentials (evening, night-time, weekend, holiday) generally she is making $50 an hour.  Often times there is "crunch pay" where they will give you time and a half, or an extra $10 hour to come into work.  Suddenly she is making $60+ an hour.

I have family members who work for public school systems.  They are making around $90,000 on salary.  That being said, they have 3 months off in the summer to do whatever the want.  Sleep, watch Jerry Springer, travel, recuperate.  If you factor in the 3 uncompensated months off, again they are being paid equivocal to a PA.  

I believe given the number of days we work, the high stress involved in our occupation, and the high stakes... we are under-compensated for what we do.

That is all.  

NO, you are not being fairly compensated. As long as you are a dependent provider and willing(as a group) to take lower pay,  very few DR’s or establishments, are going to pay “fairly.  If you can bill at 85% of Dr, then pay should be at least 75% of doc if time and patient load is equal. To often I’ve seen PA or NP in a clinic working same hours, except Doc gets 6 weeks vs. APP 4weeks vacation. Doc gets $4-5,000 CME, PA $2-2500, even though you require same number of hours. Worse to hear when Doc gets bonus for the entire clinics production. After all, no one could work without him/her. PA, well, just be happy you have a halfway decent job.  NO, you do not get paid fairly, but due to the number of PA/NP in most places, and PA lack of independence, at least you have a job and can feed your family plus have a few nice things. 
Sorry for rant, just  recently “overheard” doc talking to finance about his bonus, my office is next to meeting room and walls are thin....He did buy the office pizza for doing a good job.

Support your National, State and local groups to push for graduated independence. The NP’s salaries, that I’ve seen, are growing much faster because, whether right or wrong, they are able to legally function very similar to a Dr. pay still not 75% of doc, but 10-15% more than PA doing similar jobs.

• Like 1

I made $220k in 2019
I work full time at a private practice, did $196k, 4 days per week (clinic/surgery) + rounding 3 out of 4 weekends.  
Made another $25k from some urgent care shifts

So did you ever have a day off?! Sounds like you worked most if not all of your days off no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

yea...if I wanted to add 2 more weekends to my schedule I could get over 225k pretty easy. I'm scaling the other way. I'm getting older, had a few dear friends and my brothers die in the last couple of years. Time is more important to me than money these days

I am trying to get the best of both worlds: fewest days worked for most $. long shifts means fewer days working.

37 minutes ago, MediMike said:

This. Earn the most while working the least. So far I'm at $147.5 for 10 (12) hour shifts/month, should get bumped up another 10k/year in 4 years.

yup, work smarter, not harder. if you can get paid to sleep, do it. I "work" a lot of hrs, but if you subtract the hrs I am sleeping and the downtime at rural places I probably do " actual work" about 100 hrs/month.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EMEDPA said:

yup, work smarter, not harder. if you can get paid to sleep, do it. I "work" a lot of hrs, but if you subtract the hrs I am sleeping and the downtime at rural places I probably do " actual work" about 100 hrs/month.

Got that right. I'm effectively on call for acute resus, procedures and admits/consults, if nothing is popping off I'm sleeping or working on lecture material for the fun side job (about the only way to make academic work financially viable)

1 hour ago, MediMike said:

if nothing is popping off I'm sleeping or working on lecture material for the fun side job (about the only way to make academic work financially viable)

Yup. One of my side gigs is teaching an online course and I can do >50% of the prep at work for other jobs....

• Like 2

On 3/15/2020 at 11:39 AM, EMEDPA said:

Definitely.  One PRN gig at a CAH is about 2-3 hours of rounding and notes and then it's adios until I get a call about an admission or two that day and maybe 1-2 calls at night.  Getting paid well for a few hours of work is living the dream.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cinntsp said:

Definitely.  One PRN gig at a CAH is about 2-3 hours of rounding and notes and then it's adios until I get a call about an admission or two that day and maybe 1-2 calls at night.  Getting paid well for a few hours of work is living the dream.

Ran across one of those in south-central WA, didn't follow it up and continue to kick myself for it!

• 1 month later...

I guess I’ll revive this old thread...

I’m a first year PA, working in ER 14 shifts a month and wound care twice week. I’ll make over 220k this year but it’s mostly because of wound care. But with COVID, things are slowing down. I get 8-9 days off a month and during my wound care days I only work 6 hours. I do work some weekends in the ED. I’m satisfied because I didn’t expect to make this much my first year.

Question...
My ER pays me $60/hr w2 with fair benefits and PTO. No bonus or RVU structure. I am due to renegotiate after my first year. I live in SoCal, I was thinking 75-80/hr is a good 2nd year pay, What do you guys think? I consider myself to be very productive and fast.

On 5/15/2020 at 6:02 PM, 924er said:

I guess I’ll revive this old thread...

I’m a first year PA, working in ER 14 shifts a month and wound care twice week. I’ll make over 220k this year but it’s mostly because of wound care. But with COVID, things are slowing down. I get 8-9 days off a month and during my wound care days I only work 6 hours. I do work some weekends in the ED. I’m satisfied because I didn’t expect to make this much my first year.

Question...
My ER pays me $60/hr w2 with fair benefits and PTO. No bonus or RVU structure. I am due to renegotiate after my first year. I live in SoCal, I was thinking 75-80/hr is a good 2nd year pay, What do you guys think? I consider myself to be very productive and fast.

I started in the ER in SoCal in 2016 at 65/hr as an employee with benefits. I can say with fair certainty, they will not increase your hourly rate by $15 after one year of experience. You would have to switch jobs for that much of a pay increase. I would think that a 10% raise would be the ceiling of possibility. 

On 2/12/2020 at 6:13 PM, Premed2hard said:

It is just hours lots of hours! My mom does corporate health 170k/yr 45hrs a week and works from home (travels 10 days a month).

She could only make what she makes now by working a TON of hours.

She is not a PA just a RN.

On 3/11/2020 at 12:10 PM, ShakaHoo said:

That is all.  

Wow, your peeps found some great gigs. I know some teachers often work 10-12 hour days M-F during the school year, and some do summer school, tutoring or coaching on the side to supplement their income. And that's with a master's degree. An old colleague made 80k doing just that. 

Nursing really does have a lot of opportunities. I've seen ads for Dialysis nursing around 160-180k/year. 

I enjoy being a PA most of the time, but sometimes I wonder if it's really worth it.

I started in the ER in SoCal in 2016 at 65/hr as an employee with benefits. I can say with fair certainty, they will not increase your hourly rate by $15 after one year of experience. You would have to switch jobs for that much of a pay increase. I would think that a 10% raise would be the ceiling of possibility. 

You are probably right. I’ll start looking for another job after a year and see what’s out there. But apparently one PA was busting his butt and made $95/hr on his 2nd year. So who really knows. I guess you just gotta prove your worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk