• $180-189k
    • $190-199k
    • $200-209k
    • $210-219k
    • $220-229k
    • $230-239k
    • $240-249k
    • $250k and >

It's about that time again. My annual income poll!

Last year, we got almost 300 votes (image of past poll is attached). So many people chose "above $200k" that I had to make more options...

Answer with how much you are compensated with as PA. Include your full time, part time, per diem, bonuses etc. Do not include your other benefits like health, dental, 401k etc.

Money Poll.PNG

I make less than the range listed so you will need to lower it for next year.    I am  working about 25 hours per week on a hourly salary plus bonus for production.  I've only been at this new job for 8 months and had gaps of time where I needed to be off due to husband's health.  I checked off the lowest range.  I think I'll end up with around average only 70,000 for the year.  A 60,000 drop from 2018.

I'm ok with that.  Looking to retire in a year or two and part time suits me well. 

2 hours ago, Paula said:

I make less than the range listed so you will need to lower it for next year.    I am  working about 25 hours per week on a hourly salary plus bonus for production.  I've only been at this new job for 8 months and had gaps of time where I needed to be off due to husband's health.  I checked off the lowest range.  I think I'll end up with around average only 70,000 for the year.  A 60,000 drop from 2018.

I'm ok with that.  Looking to retire in a year or two and part time suits me well. 

I think this is really for full time only and for one job working 40-50 hours. Part time can be 4 hours a week, not a fair comparison. Also, if you're working crazy overtime or working 2 jobs, it's also not a fair comparison.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, AbeTheBabe said:

I think this is really for full time only and for one job working 40-50 hours. Part time can be 4 hours a week, not a fair comparison. Also, if you're working crazy overtime or working 2 jobs, it's also not a fair comparison.

It says include full time, part time, per diem, and bonuses. That makes for a wide range of results if you consider some work a limited part time schedule while others do full time +.

If OP is looking for this range with all possible jobs considered, then it would be worth adding lower salary ranges for next year. If OP is looking for only full time, salaried (i.e. 40-50 hrs/wk) responses then that should be specified.

• Upvote 1

On 11/21/2019 at 7:37 PM, pa-wannabe said:

It says include full time, part time, per diem, and bonuses. That makes for a wide range of results if you consider some work a limited part time schedule while others do full time +.

If OP is looking for this range with all possible jobs considered, then it would be worth adding lower salary ranges for next year. If OP is looking for only full time, salaried (i.e. 40-50 hrs/wk) responses then that should be specified.

Just saw that, ya then this is pretty meaningless. What's the point of comparing pay to someone working double your hours? The question should be an hourly rate (or a calculation of your hourly rate based on your salary/bonus based on how many hours you work).

• Upvote 2

I make $40 base hourly salary, plus either $10 or $20 bonus for each patient based on their employer contract (or no contract) with our clinic.  Then on top of that is I get 1/2 the charge of procedures  which range from $40 per procedure up to $80 per suture if a laceration or I&D.  My potential income at full time would be really good, plus I could work as much as I wanted, 50 hours a week or more. 

No thanks to that much work......I did the 50 a week as a new grad for about 7 years to help get kids thru college.....

We have openings too.   I'm in Wisconsin

1 hour ago, Paula said:

I make $40 base hourly salary, plus either $10 or $20 bonus for each patient based on their employer contract (or no contract) with our clinic.  Then on top of that is I get 1/2 the charge of procedures  which range from $40 per procedure up to $80 per suture if a laceration or I&D.  My potential income at full time would be really good, plus I could work as much as I wanted, 50 hours a week or more. 

No thanks to that much work......I did the 50 a week as a new grad for about 7 years to help get kids thru college.....

We have openings too.   I'm in Wisconsin

Sounds like a good opportunity. So how much could you make if you hustle vs how much you make now with a more relaxed schedule? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lexapro said:

I'm realizing I'm a bit of a workaholic TBH. Money is addictive and making more just makes me want to make more. 

I feel ya on this.  I definitely feel that anxiety that comes with big expenses(student loans and soon to be a mortgage as well, though only 1/4 of yours) and that feeling of needing to work more shifts because of the crazy amount of money that can be earned. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2019 at 2:30 PM, SoCal_PA said:

Sounds like a good opportunity. So how much could you make if you hustle vs how much you make now with a more relaxed schedule? 

I calculated conservative estimate of &125,000 a year with a 40 hour per week schedule, plus the bonus and procedures ( both estimated very conservatively).    The down side is there is no 401 K or retirement, but there is dental, health insurance, optical insurance offered as benefits, we pay 1/2 the premium I think if we take it.  I don't work enough to take the health insurance.  I have other type of coverage.  But all services here are at 50% reduced rate for employees and family members.  So I just had a CBC, lipid panel, CMP and flu shot all for the one low price of $80 after the discount was applied. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, bike mike said:

I want to know what the folks do who are pulling in $250K or more. Derm? CT surgery? Psych? 

they are practice owners, do a lot of procedures, or work crazy hours. If you work 80 hrs/week that is not one full time job, that's two.

I don't want to work that hard

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, CookiePA said:

Yeah I am wondering the same. Folks who are voting 180k+ what do you guys do? I know some members do solo ED coverage that may offer high pay or derm? 
share the goodness lol

6-7 24 hr shifts/month and 3 12 hr shifts/month and teaching. sounds like a lot, but there is a lot of downtime on the 24s. I am much happier doing this then 20-22 12 hr shifts/mo like I did for 15 years at a prior job. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I could and have make > $180K/year doing 20+ days in the ED.  My wife told me that when I did I really wasn't ever "there" - there wasn't much of me left.  I make somewhat less, but with a much better job, working 14-16 days/month.  My wife actually has a husband now - and I'm much happier.

Agreed. I used to work 5-6 12hr shifts as a respiratory therapist and made 130k a year which is a ton of money for an RT but I was barely home to see my family.

Now I’m about to work 14-16 days a month as an ER PA doing 10 hour shifts and I’m really excited about the down time. I do 2 days a week mobile wound care but it’s only 5 hours a day and I’m driving around and not stuck in a facility so it doesn’t feel like work lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, cbrsmurf said:

Kaiser Permanente start new, no experience PA's at about $60-70/hr, 25 years+ will top out around $100/hr.  Excellent benefits/pension as well.  

So what is difference between PA II or NP II and just PA /NP? I ask because Nearly all NP are Np II and PA are only PA II when lister in conjunction with NPII. Is pay scale different? Also, of the jobs at Kaiser P that are not posted for both PA/NP, a significant portion of jobs are for NP only (approx 38-NP to 28-PA,  although it appears most of them are duplicates, meaning same job listed for Pa bad NP separately with remaining 10 or so being NP only. Would one assume PA will not be considered, if so, why? It doesn’t appear to be determined by state. 

On 12/27/2019 at 8:25 PM, Hope2PA said:

So what is difference between PA II or NP II and just PA /NP? I ask because Nearly all NP are Np II and PA are only PA II when lister in conjunction with NPII. Is pay scale different? Also, of the jobs at Kaiser P that are not posted for both PA/NP, a significant portion of jobs are for NP only (approx 38-NP to 28-PA,  although it appears most of them are duplicates, meaning same job listed for Pa bad NP separately with remaining 10 or so being NP only. Would one assume PA will not be considered, if so, why? It doesn’t appear to be determined by state. 

NP/PA II's in Kaiser typically do procedures/inpatient/surgical work (there is a bit of a grey area here) and get paid about $10 more per hr.  I don't know about interchangeability of the NP/PA between different positions.  I work in ENT and the dept chief prefers and only hires PA's.  Not sure what the overall Kaiser policy is on that.

8, 12hr shifts a month at regular solo coverage ED job. 2, 24hr shifts month at part time job, solo coverage ED. That schedule gets me around $180k. Usually work one extra day at primary place per month and try to get 2-4, 24s at part time. 2020 should be $190k-$200k. I'm usually off 4-5 days per week most weeks. Pretty sweet! 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JMann said:

8, 12hr shifts a month at regular solo coverage ED job. 2, 24hr shifts month at part time job, solo coverage ED. That schedule gets me around $180k. Usually work one extra day at primary place per month and try to get 2-4, 24s at part time. 2020 should be $190k-$200k. I'm usually off 4-5 days per week most weeks. Pretty sweet! 

nice job! At the end of January I have my 72 hour shift every other weekend starting and I’ll be picking up 5 or so shifts a couple places. I think, fingers crossed, I’ll be pulling down the same numbers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1