Weekend Hospital coverage -GI

I work in a large GI group in a small city. APPs primarily are clinic based and we all work M-F typical daytime hours. They are looking having APPs help the doctor with hospital weekend coverage. Thoughts on compensation? Hourly versus daily rate? If you work the weekend do you have a week day off?

One aspect of the appeal to this job is the lack of holiday and weekends. I turned down an offer in the ER that had 12 shifts/mo for FT at a higher salary in order to avoid odd hours and weekend coverage. 

thanks for any input! 

I work in a large GI group in a small city. APPs primarily are clinic based and we all work M-F typical daytime hours. They are looking having APPs help the doctor with hospital weekend coverage. Thoughts on compensation? Hourly versus daily rate? If you work the weekend do you have a week day off?

One aspect of the appeal to this job is the lack of holiday and weekends. I turned down an offer in the ER that had 12 shifts/mo for FT at a higher salary in order to avoid odd hours and weekend coverage. 

thanks for any input! 

I work IN GI too... Outpatient. Our group covers two hospitals but only the Docs do...for now...

I would ask for time and half pay for the weekends and an equivalent day off during the week and would have in writing that they can only schedule you for weekends only once or twice per month and it would require advanced notice.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I’d ask for a daily rate 1.25-1.5 times your current rate. 

Heres the catch, your base salary can’t change. This has to be in addition to what you already make.  My practice is trying to get the same thing right now and are offering time off during the week in exchange for weekend days, and they’d like me to work every other weekend. Weekends would be paid at a 20% premium... but I wouldn’t be paid for those days that they give me off during the week. I’d still work 10 days in a pay period, but two of them would be paid at time + 20%. At $100k/yr a 20% bump on 2 days of a 10 work day pay period means I get an extra $4k a year. $4k to not be at home with family, hang out with friends, take weekend trips. That’s not worth it and NONE of the doctors in your practice would agree to give up a weekend for that rate.

Edited by anewconvert
  • Upvote 1