Malpractice for per diem?

I work in Urgent Care and was offered a per diem position at a different UC facility. They're still in the process of working out how malpractice insurance is going to work out and if they will be able to offer it if I'm not technically "regularly on staff". They said something about the possibility of adding a rider onto my existing malpractice insurance with my current employer, however I don't plan to stay with that company for longer than another year or so. Anyone working per diem have any insight as to how this typically works? Did you purchase your own malpractice with tail?

Sounds like you would possibly be a 1099 employee and it is quite common to purchase your own malpractice, as well as pay many other exorbitant taxes.  Therefore, make sure your hourly rate takes this into consideration.  If they aren't paying your malpractice 100% of that money should come to you.  There is no reason you couldn't be under their malpractice while working for them...that is ridiculous.

typical corp greed

they want to make the money off you but want to shift the cost of employing you to someone else

Folks this is hogwash, and we should never do it **

**unless you are a 1099 and/or they are paying you an astronomically high hourly rate to cover it - like well north of $100/hr

• Upvote 1

I worked as a 1099 at a UC and was also covered on their master medmal policy, as were all of their part-timers.  In every setting I've worked as a PT employee I was always covered under their medmal policy.  I wouldn't work at a place that didn't provide medmal coverage to me at no charge.

Another thing to think about: the last 2 times I was credentialed at a new job or hospital, I had to provide proof that I was/had been covered by medmal at everywhere else I'd worked or was working.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

I worked as a 1099 at a UC and was also covered on their master medmal policy, as were all of their part-timers.  In every setting I've worked as a PT employee I was always covered under their medmal policy.  I wouldn't work at a place that didn't provide medmal coverage to me at no charge.

Another thing to think about: the last 2 times I was credentialed at a new job or hospital, I had to provide proof that I was/had been covered by medmal at everywhere else I'd worked or was working.

At my last position we were covered by a clinic umbrella C-M policy.  I made sure to get a copy of the declaration page every year when it was renewed.  One year into our existence I bit the bullet and bought my own occurrence policy (<$1K) so I wouldn't have to worry about a rider, etc.  None of the other providers upon their exit bothered to inquire as to tail coverage, nor did they obtain a copy of the declaration page, so said the clinic manager.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess