OTP fail in NH

Very bad news to find out attempts with the New Hampshire Board of Medicine to change laws, such as removing the supervisory physician, was backed off by the NHSPA.  This is not in the best interest of our profession, at all, and is very bad news for PAs in NH.  Increasingly, NPs are getting hired over PAs and some institutions/places have moved to hire NPs ONLY and no longer will hire PAs.  This is a reality we face and we really do need to push the envelope to be able to evolve.  Very bad news indeed.  I strongly urge and encourage, even implore PAs to get involved in our profession's evolution.  OTP is needed and state laws are a part of this process.  If not familiarized with how and why NPs are hired over PAs, increasingly so, please learn about it and also OTP and how we can actually do something.  If I have this correct, I believe 20 other states have successfully changed these state laws.  NH USED to be among the top few states for PAs to practice in and we have fallen behind.  We need to stand up for our profession, even in the face of opposition.

it take the forward thinking PA's in your state taking over the State PA association and going after change.

NP's have fought hard for every gain they make .

AMA and organized medicine will be like chicken little and claim the sky is falling and all that cra*

it takes persistence, forward thinking and money to make it work....

• 3 years later...

OTP never got enthusiasm from many PAs because it seemed like a pointless half measure.  Independent practice like NPs is what we wanted and needed.  OTP is just one of those bureaucratic abominations and I didn't see the point in advocating for it when I felt like we were just going to need to get to independent practice anyway to be competitive with NPs.  So why invest all the time, money and political activism into a dead end?  AAPA is worthless.  But at least they successfully got our name changed from PA to PA.

On 8/18/2023 at 2:58 PM, sillycibin said:

OTP never got enthusiasm from many PAs because it seemed like a pointless half measure.  Independent practice like NPs is what we wanted and needed.  OTP is just one of those bureaucratic abominations and I didn't see the point in advocating for it when I felt like we were just going to need to get to independent practice anyway to be competitive with NPs.  So why invest all the time, money and political activism into a dead end?  AAPA is worthless.  But at least they successfully got our name changed from PA to PA.

Didn't OTP pass there last summer? This looks like the thread was never updated to include the "win."

• 3 weeks later...