jspreen

Deciding between PA schools

Hello everyone, I have been fortunate enough to be accepted to two PA programs. I know there are other topics about this but I was hoping you all could help me out a little, besides what else is a forum like this for? 

Pros School A-

Close to home

~97k tuition, cheap cost of living

100% Pance Pass Rate

Staff seems qualified and genuinely interested in helping their students.

Positive reviews from students that i have reached out to

I would like to work in the same state as school A

Cons School A

Brand New program, started in 2016 .... provisional status

Only one elective

No way to know forsure how well established their clinical rotations are. Students have postive things to say

Pros school B

Program very well established, 40+ years

Program has their own hospital system, all clinical rotations are essentially guaranteed to be well established.

Focus heavily or surgery which is what I am passionate about

Cheap cost of living

Cons school B

Tuition ~140k

Out of state, I am excited about the move though

Live cadaveric dissection

Overall both programs will prepare me well for the pance. Is a slightly better education with better rotations really worth 40K...

Edited by jspreen

How close is A to home? Can you live at home drastically reducing living expenses? If not, then the decision is tough. In the grand scheme of things, 40K is not a HUGE deal, but certainly not insignificant. But the more expensive program is well established, has better rotations, and live cadaver dissection which is great.

I moved out of state for PA school (out of necessity). I had lived at home my whole life before that. It was a great experience I would recommend to everyone. Now I'm back in my home area about 20 minutes from family, which is very nice to have the help when you have kids.

School A is about 1 hour from school and in my opinion based on the freeways I between , not possible to commute. It is really just nice for a support system which in all honesty I don’t really value that much. Ya I know but it’s true. School B also has a live pig dissection for practice with surgical education. They also have 4 electives . I’m 50/50 torn rn

Luckily, it’s mostly hard to go wrong when choosing between PA schools since the accreditation process is somewhat stringent. To me, 40 grand is a big deal. It looks as if school B is more of a match for you, but the question is: is it worth 40k in debt? If it seems worth it to you, go to school B, and if not, school A. 

If it was me I would go with B. established program with specialty focus of interest to you and quality rotations? Done. 

If you’re trying to work in the same state as school A, it’s definitely worth considering as you could do a rotation at a potential job (many students are offered positions from rotations). But if school B has better training then thats also something to consider. You just have to decide if $40k is worth that additional training and if it aligns with your goals. You cant go wrong with either option. If it were me and if I were unable to find scholarships, I would choose school A 

Edited by Am992

I am going to go with school A. California just passed sb 697, some favorable legislation for PA’s in CA. I just can’t justify spending 50 k more on a school B when school A had a 100% pance pass rate. I could tell the professors at school B really cared. What I read online, schools with fancy cadaveric dissections weren’t always worth paying the extra money.

• Like 1