Some Advice Needed

Hello, I have been waiting to hear from PA schools and am not hopeful on being accepted this round. In the meantime, I am looking into increasing my sGPA by entering a surgical technician program. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on whether I should do the surgical technician program or just retake some classes to increase my sGPA. Or will trying to increase my sGPA be a waste of time and I should focus on improving other areas of my application?

Thank you!

Hello, I have been waiting to hear from PA schools and am not hopeful on being accepted this round. In the meantime, I am looking into increasing my sGPA by entering a surgical technician program. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on whether I should do the surgical technician program or just retake some classes to increase my sGPA. Or will trying to increase my sGPA be a waste of time and I should focus on improving other areas of my application?

Thank you!
I would say it depends on what your sGPA is, also what your current job is for gaining PCE. Surg tech could be more beneficial, if it gives you a higher level of responsibility. I was in a similar situation a couple years ago with my GPAs. Feel free to pm me if you don't feel comfortable sharing your stats here, I'd be glad to help any way I can!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, rslater00 said:

Thank you!

I would be a little careful with programs like that. If your goal is to increase your sGPA you need to make sure that CASPA will count all of that programs classes in you sGPA. Sometimes programs like that and EMT will only count towards your cGPA. Also I may be incorrect on this but isn't Surgical Technician a 1.5-2 year program? It may be more bang for your buck to retake some of the low science grades plus some upper division science credits and just reapply next year.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, akerria29 said:

I would say it depends on what your sGPA is, also what your current job is for gaining PCE. Surg tech could be more beneficial, if it gives you a higher level of responsibility. I was in a similar situation a couple years ago with my GPAs. Feel free to pm me if you don't feel comfortable sharing your stats here, I'd be glad to help any way I can!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

My sGPA is a 3.15 and my current job as a PT aide has been all of my PCE. 

1 hour ago, PACrankset said:

I would be a little careful with programs like that. If your goal is to increase your sGPA you need to make sure that CASPA will count all of that programs classes in you sGPA. Sometimes programs like that and EMT will only count towards your cGPA. Also I may be incorrect on this but isn't Surgical Technician a 1.5-2 year program? It may be more bang for your buck to retake some of the low science grades plus some upper division science credits and just reapply next year.

It is a 2 year program, but I have all the prereqs for it so all I have to do is the actual SGT classes. But if they don't count towards my sGPA then there is no point. I just thought it would be good to have different PCE hours too.

2 hours ago, rslater00 said:

It is a 2 year program, but I have all the prereqs for it so all I have to do is the actual SGT classes. But if they don't count towards my sGPA then there is no point. I just thought it would be good to have different PCE hours too.

I'm not saying they won't count. I'm saying that before you commit to a two year program with the goal of getting into PA school, you need to make sure that it is achieving what you set out to do.

For example if you are thinking of doing the ST program to improve GPA and HCE hours, and you plan on working as a surgical tech for a couple of years then that is great.

If you plan on doing the ST program for two years and immediately applying to PA school then maybe that is not the best decision. You may be better off spending a year working in healthcare and taking classes to bump your GPA

• Like 1

Hey Slater, @PACrankset has given you some good advice. However, one thing I would look at is the amount of upper level science classes you’ve taken. If you’ve taken a fair share and fell you’ve done your best then maybe moving onto a program would be your best bet. But if you feel there is room for improvement in classes like Genetics, Immunology etc, you could go that route. CASPA has a list of every course subject that is factored into your sGPA so google that and look at. A 4 month accredited EMT program will give you roughly 11 credits towards sGPA. So there are other options. Best of luck