Navy housing suggestions

Hello! 

I am a Navy HSCP recipient and currently still in school but I will graduate December 2020, then off to ODS. I am looking for any information anyone has to offer on housing options once I receive my duty station assignment. What are the pros and cons of living on/off base? It makes a lot of sense to me financially to buy a house since I will remain in the same location for 3 years (besides deployments), or so I am told anyway. Is this a bad idea? I will be married by that time and no kids if that makes any difference. Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks! 

I always recommend offbase unless you will have a large family staying home with high utility bill. 

Also as far as buying a house, I've read both for and against. General rule I've read is if you are buying, plan to stay there at least 5 years as the first 5 years you are pretty much just paying interest with little principle. Also check the housing market and maybe check with a mentor at your command to get an idea of how the markets are. 

Just from a personal perspective, I needed to live off base for my own sanity. Living on base would mean being constantly surrounded by military everything and feeling like I'm always at work, so I chose to live off base. We bought a condo about 30 mins away so I feel like I have a life separate from the military, which is what I wanted. Some people really like the convenience of being super close to work, base activities, etc. It will also depend on which base you're stationed - what's available and if there are good places to live nearby that are off base.

• Upvote 1