New grad job offer

Ā 

UPDATE: After I asked to meet in-person to discuss to negotiate the contract, the offer of employment was rescinded šŸ˜‚šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™€ļø.Ā 

Ā 

Advice on neurology outpatient private practice job offer:

I am a new grad and was offered a job after a phone interview (no meeting in person). I am in Southern CA.Ā 

Excepted to see 21-24 patients per day after training period, but then was told 3-4/hour. I would begin with follow ups.

Pay: hourly, $55 for 1-3 months during "training" and $60 thereafter. 40 hours a week, potential for overtime paid according to CA law, but only with prior approval of SP/owner.

Health insurance allowance to buy my own policy: $700/month.Ā 

No pension/retirement.

Prorated malpractice insurance coverage, I would be added to the group policy.Ā No tail coverage.

Prorated DEA license reimbursementĀ 

3 sick days/year and 2 weeks vacation.Ā 

CME amount listed as "stipend " to attend AAN conference with hourly wage paid during attendance.Ā 

Liquidated damages of $25K if I leave before August 2020.

QUESTION: The benefits package seems subpar, but I am not sure if my expectations are too high. I am concerned about a job offer being extended without meeting in person, I find this very odd, but they said they really "liked my resume and me". They did seem sort of desperate because a third physician left and now they are swamped.Ā 

Also, anyone have any recommendations for an attorney to look over contracts in Southern CA, or is that overkill?

Any input is much appreciated.Ā 

Thank you šŸ˜€

Edited by LPZ

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, LPZ said:

I am a new grad and was offered a job after a phone interview (no meeting in person).

Run.

They're so desperate for people to take their craptacular offer they're throwing offers around.Ā  I'll let others comment on how bad the rest of the offer is, but at least they aren't pretending to have it be salaried.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Where to start...

Too many pts per hour. That's an UC patient load.

Two weeks vacation is WEAK.

No retirement? 21st century not 19th.

That health insurance isn't a thing. Are they just a conduit to some insurance salesman? $700/mo for just you?

A $25,000 penalty for leaving?!?! Are they giving you a $25k sign on bonus?

And yeah. Never meeting you? Forget this place.Ā 

Ridiculous.

15 hours ago, LPZ said:

Advice on neurology outpatient private practice job offer:

I am a new grad and was offered a job after a phone interview (no meeting in person). I am in Southern CA.Ā 

Excepted to see 21-24 patients per day after training period, but then was told 3-4/hour. I would begin with follow ups.

Pay: hourly, $55 for 1-3 months during "training" and $60 thereafter. 40 hours a week, potential for overtime paid according to CA law, but only with prior approval of SP/owner.

Health insurance allowance to buy my own policy: $700/month.Ā 

No pension/retirement.

Prorated malpractice insurance coverage, I would be added to the group policy.Ā No tail coverage.

Prorated DEA license reimbursementĀ 

3 sick days/year and 2 weeks vacation.Ā 

CME amount listed as "stipend " to attend AAN conference with hourly wage paid during attendance.Ā 

Liquidated damages of $25K if I leave before August 2020.

QUESTION: The benefits package seems subpar, but I am not sure if my expectations are too high. I am concerned about a job offer being extended without meeting in person, I find this very odd, but they said they really "liked my resume and me". They did seem sort of desperate because a third physician left and now they are swamped.Ā 

Also, anyone have any recommendations for an attorney to look over contracts in Southern CA, or is that overkill?

Any input is much appreciated.Ā 

Thank you šŸ˜€

Lets break this down.

The first HUGE red flag is hiring you based on a telephone interview. This just isn't done by any credible company or practice. It stinks of desperation and bad management. Even if they are ok with that you shouldn't be. You need face time with the docs and the management. It would be best to spend some time with another PA...alone...where you can actually converse.

$700/month to find your own insurance might be OK. It allows you to get a policy that suits you but a good policy is going to cost a lot more and if you have or aquire a family it will be a lot more.

21-24 patients in a neurology practice seems to be a fast pace unless they are all basic follow up/med refills.

$55/60 an hour in neurology seems very low. There are a lot of variables in hourly salary based on specialty and location so someone familiar in the area may have a better idea but that sounds bad.

No pension...meh. The onlty advantage to a pension is a matching fund which puts money in your pocket. If you are a big earner and there is a good match that is real money.

I have no idea what prorated malpractice and DEA reimbursement is. Practices pay for these things. Period

Sick leave/vacation blows. I walked in the door here with 6 weeks.

CME should list a specific annual amount. "Stipend" is subject to interpretation and theirs won't be good. Hourly wage paid for how many days annualy? 1, 5, 10? if it isn't spelled out it doesn't count.

You didn't mention call. This needs to be discussed and spelled out clearly and, no, it isn't something you do for free. What about hospital rounds?

25k in liquidated damages. Pffffth.... no.Ā 

Ā 

Don't have an attorney review it. Just say no.

Edited by sas5814

On 10/25/2019 at 8:54 AM, sas5814 said:

I have no idea what prorated malpractice and DEA reimbursement is. Practices pay for these things. Period

They only want to pay for the time you are there. If they pay 750 for the 3-year DEA and you leave after 2 years, they want the 250 back. Very cheap of them. If they hired someone who has a current DEA for another 2 years, doubt they would pay them 500.