Can I work in The Netherlands with a US Degree?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 10/24/2019 at 4:23 PM, Onigokko0101 said:

I am just curious if The Netherlands accepts US degrees. I am currently pre-PA and one of my dreams is to be able to use my job to travel, and I would absolutely love to go there as I know they are one of the few countries with the PA profession currently.

PA is less recognized internationally than a DO is.  If practicing medicine around the world is your goal, you'd be much better off going to medical school, as US trained MD's can work pretty much anywhere.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

PA is less recognized internationally than a DO is.  If practicing medicine around the world is your goal, you'd be much better off going to medical school, as US trained MD's can work pretty much anywhere.

I agree. It is somewhat better today, but I entered PA school way back in 1979 with the goal of living abroad for my whole career. I had a few gigs overseas, but finding opportunities took a huge amount of work and there is even fewer today. However, everywhere I went, they were lusting for American doctors . . . just not PAs. If I were a new graduate, I would try and get a job in the UK.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2019 at 5:55 PM, jmj11 said:

I agree. It is somewhat better today, but I entered PA school way back in 1979 with the goal of living abroad for my whole career. I had a few gigs overseas, but finding opportunities took a huge amount of work and there is even fewer today. However, everywhere I went, they were lusting for American doctors . . . just not PAs. If I were a new graduate, I would try and get a job in the UK.

Yeah I did my research on counties that have PA, and there are very little but I know the UK, Canada and The Netherlands all have them, thus my question.

As for going to medical school, I have considered it but the big reason I am not opting for it is the better work/life balance of PAs (and also the stress of medical residencies)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2019 at 10:02 AM, Onigokko0101 said:

As for going to medical school, I have considered it but the big reason I am not opting for it is the better work/life balance of PAs 

In my experience, this is one hundred million percent not true. 

The physicians I work with have the same opportunity for work/life balance as the PAs do. We get to work at the same time and leave at the same time. But when they leave, they do it in much nicer cars and go to a much bigger houses. 

Work life balance has a whole lot more to do with specialty than credentials as far as I can tell. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/20/2019 at 9:02 AM, Onigokko0101 said:

Yeah I did my research on counties that have PA, and there are very little but I know the UK, Canada and The Netherlands all have them, thus my question.

As for going to medical school, I have considered it but the big reason I am not opting for it is the better work/life balance of PAs (and also the stress of medical residencies)

As of now, they do accept our degree.

and ditto above. The whole reason some PA jobs exist at all is do to all the things that physicians don’t want to do like take call, work holiday/weekends/nights, round, cover the ER, etc.

• 1 month later...

To clarify, you can work in the Netherlands with a US PA degree if you speak dutch. That information is directly from a dutch PA program. Also you can work in the UK if you can get the employer to sponsor your work visa. There are a number of American PA's in the UK. It's just not as popular because healthcare professions do not pay as much there since it is a universal healthcare system.

• 10 months later...