EM as a New Grad

Hello everyone,

I will be graduating in July, taking the PANCE in August. I know I want a career in EM and am doing another elective in the field. I have applied to four postgrad residency/fellowship programs and about five jobs in EM. I would like to do a postgrad training program if given the opportunity. Every job posting for EM I have searched all require at least 1 year of experience. I am looking at hospitals in Boston and the surrounding area. Am I applying to these jobs to early? What is everyone's general opinion on a new grad getting a job in an ER and their responsibilities? How would a seasoned PA/MD view a new grad in the ER? Salary for a new grad in the ER? Training as a new hire? Any input I appreciate.

Thanks.

a postgrad program is your best bet. go for that.

most em positions for new grads(especially those without considerable prior em experience like paramedic or er nurse) are in fast track or urgent care. a good start to be sure, but really pretty low acuity stuff just a step above a walk in fp clinic.

if you get an em job right out of school without the residency, expect around 85-90k to start. after the residency(or 5 yrs of experience, whichever happens first) expect 110-125k.

see this permanent thread/sticky at the top of the em forum about getting an em pa job. good luck.

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/forums/showthread.php/2190-getting-an-em-pa-job......

Thank you for your response. I interviewed a week and a half ago at a postgrad program and am waiting to hear back. They had at least 10 more applicants to interview from what I understood, but I loved it there. Everyone was so nice and I could tell I'd be well educated and prepared for any EM job if I completed the postgrad program. Just a waiting game now.

I have 2 classmates who got positions at an ED residency in Providence, through the Brown Univ. teaching hospital. Are you looking strictly in the Boston area?

I personally went the other route, getting training on the job vs. post grad residency. As EMEDPA said, starting out a new grad will be put in the fast track seeing less acute cases. At my job (started 3 weeks ago) they work you into the main ED/working the FT solo after 6ish months based on how comfortable you are. Before that you work side-by-side with the fast track physician and he checks each patient out before they leave.

It's not easy to find, but if you run into a job that's willing to ease you into it and train you as well as a post-grad program will, there's no harm in it. For whatever reason, ERs in Connecticut were super new-grad friendly. The job I took said they prefer hiring new grads because they're used to adapting to various physicians better than veteran PAs.

I work for a national EMed physician group that's employed locally by the hospital. I'm paid $50/hr estimating $100k annual not counting productivity bonuses and $5000 cme. 12 hour shifts (14-15 hour shifts sometimes when I'm stuck dictating charts). 1 week off every 6 months and 1 week for CME.

Good luck! Hope you get good news :)

I've been fighting for EM positions in the greater Atlanta, GA area, and as soon as I mention I'm a new grad I am not granted a formal interview. It's a bit frustrating, but I'll keep trying until someone gives me a chance. Urgent care has been another avenue I've looked into, but no one seems to be interested. Any suggestions?

Archived