Hey there, reaching out to see if anyone either currently a student or recently accepted to the program (online or in class)  will be using the GI Bill?

Like most government things it is about as clear as mud. I know the cap for private schools is now about 24k, but I am am curious if anyone has experience as to how the terms are paid out because from what I have heard there is some strategy behind this.

Thanks in advance!

• 9 months later...

Hi, I too am interested in this topic.  I plan to apply to school based on whether or not I can get it covered by the GI Bill.  I have the post-9/11 GI Bill, and I just filled out the application online yesterday to see what benefits I am eligible for.  There seems to be some type of tier system that determines what people are eligible to receive, however there really isn't much explanation of the tiers anywhere.  If I find out any more information, I will let you know!

• Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 6:53 AM, HomeTeam123 said:

Hey there, reaching out to see if anyone either currently a student or recently accepted to the program (online or in class)  will be using the GI Bill?

Like most government things it is about as clear as mud. I know the cap for private schools is now about 24k, but I am am curious if anyone has experience as to how the terms are paid out because from what I have heard there is some strategy behind this.

Thanks in advance!

Hey,

So I have been accepted to the online program; starting Jan 2021 and will be using the GI Bill. 

I am not sure how much I can answer for you, but I'll give you everything I know haha.

I am prior Navy, and I used my GI Bill for my undergrad. My husband transferred his GI Bill to me (he's active duty), so I can use that towards Yale Online. Like you said, there is a tuition cap, however Yale does participate in the Yellow Ribbon program (at least they did last year), which helps cover some of the additional costs of private education that the GI Bill doesn't cover. The amount of additional tuition the program agrees to waive via the Yellow Ribbon Program  is not only school specific, but program specific. It is an agreement between the school and the VA. From my own research, I found that Yale agrees to waive $5k per veteran in the PA program that is participating in the Yellow Ribbon. I am not sure if that is per semester or per year. Nor can I confirm that Yale Online is doing the same. 

So while the GI Bill will cover a significant amount, I will still pay out of pocket for some of it. 

Speaking only from my undergrad/GI Bill experience, I fill out a form with the school's veteran office and they submit it to the VA (I don't remember if this is yearly or per semester). This form essentially states that the VA needs to pay the school directly for said year/semester via my GI Bill. I am assuming I just pay the school directly for the rest of the uncovered tuition. 

I am still in the process of getting all my admin stuff set up with Yale Online, so I have not reached the actual payment part (aside from the seat deposit). Please take what I have said with a grain of salt, for my cohort has not even received the final tuition cost yet. I plan on speaking with the Veteran's office at Yale Online to make sure I have all my ducks in a row as well. Again, I have no idea if anything has changed with the Yellow Ribbon program for my cohort or anything like that. This has just been my experience.

Please do not hesitate to pm me if you have any other questions at all. 

On 8/12/2020 at 8:34 AM, JennieP said:

Hi, I too am interested in this topic.  I plan to apply to school based on whether or not I can get it covered by the GI Bill.  I have the post-9/11 GI Bill, and I just filled out the application online yesterday to see what benefits I am eligible for.  There seems to be some type of tier system that determines what people are eligible to receive, however there really isn't much explanation of the tiers anywhere.  If I find out any more information, I will let you know!

If I am understanding you right, the tier system is based on how long you served on active duty. You are eligible for 100% of the GI Bill benefits if you served at least 36 months active duty or received a Purple Heart. Here is a photo from this link: https://gibill.custhelp.va.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/947.  Because Yale is a private institution, the GI Bill will not be able to cover 100% of the tuition costs. 

Member Serves

Percentage of Maximum Benefit Payable

At least 36 months or received a Purple Heart*

100%

At least 30 continuous days on active duty and must be discharged due to service-connected disability

100%

At least 30 months, but less than 36 months

90%

At least 24 months, but less than 30 months

80%

At least 18 months, but less than 24 months

70%

At least 6 months, but less than 18 months

60%

At least 90 days, but less than 6 months

50%

Edited by emilymuff

• 4 weeks later...

So the GI bill pays out up to $24 k per year . Yale PA program contributes an additional 5k. The student will be on the hook for the rest ; roughly $51k. I noticed with online and in residence the housing GI bill is $2900 per month . If possible try putting $2k of the $2900 to The student loan balance of $51k. You may come out with zero debt using this strategy. That’s assuming you won’t need to utilize the housing allowance and you have a significant other/relative/etc  that’s supporting the household financially . I hope this helps a bit 

• 2 years later...