Am I making a mistake ????????

Hi 

I graduated in August 2019 and have been looking for a job since then. Finally I was offered my 'dream job' of hospital medicine.  It's a group of IM physicians who also cover three hospitals. I will be required to see 12-13 patients in three different hospitals and 6-7 patients in clinic the same day. There is no formal training except for 4-5 day orientation. The doctor is very confident that I can see 20 patients all by myself since I graduated from 'Duke'. He is offering my $120,000 and location is ideal since its only 15 minutes from my place but the idea of seeing 20 patients all by myself is quiet daunting and I am not way shape or form ready for it. At the same time job market is so saturated in my area.

Am I making a mistake If I decline this offer???????????

27 minutes ago, Boatswain2PA said:

Yes --- unless you are a genius, or have extensive hospital experience as a nurse.

Otherwise this is a recipe for a trainwreck.

Sweet Jebus....Trainwreck indeed.

Do yourself and your malpractice carrier a favor and do not do this.  Get some experience with an IM hospitalist doc and about 5 years under your belt before you try something like this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dukepa19 said:

Hi 

I graduated in August 2019 and have been looking for a job since then. Finally I was offered my 'dream job' of hospital medicine.  It's a group of IM physicians who also cover three hospitals. I will be required to see 12-13 patients in three different hospitals and 6-7 patients in clinic the same day. There is no formal training except for 4-5 day orientation. The doctor is very confident that I can see 20 patients all by myself since I graduated from 'Duke'. He is offering my $120,000 and location is ideal since its only 15 minutes from my place but the idea of seeing 20 patients all by myself is quiet daunting and I am not way shape or form ready for it. At the same time job market is so saturated in my area.

Am I making a mistake If I decline this offer???????????

Here’s the thing to think on. I’m in psyche, but the principle still applies. A new grad probably won’t be able to handle that workload, and an experienced provider who could handle that workload probably wouldn’t want to do that for that low of a price. That should guide your mindset as you negotiate. Tell the group that you’d like to start with a lower load and work up to the pace. See what they say. They obviously want you, so I wouldn’t walk away without pressing them on that. The conversation may not be heading in that direction when you are talking to them in general terms, but at the point where you give them your answer, simply put that in as your condition. “If you can give me 4 months to train to get up to speed, I’ll accept your offer”.

• Upvote 2

^^This is wise counsel. You are not ready for this job as outlined and someone will get hurt and you will get burned. You need a train-up period and even after 3-6 months will need to be able to reach a more experienced provider for advice quickly for a long time.

Before I ever went to PA school a PA I worked for in the Army told me it took about 3 years for him to get his head out of his rectum and probably 3 more before he felt he was really providing great care. That was just one man's opinion but it bears consideration.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

You are setting yourself up to be burned if you dont ask about training. I agree with above advice, ask about training and put a condition to your offer “4-5 months of training etc”

I will caution though training period in no way means that you should be expecting to be spoon fed information. If you dont know something or dont know how to work up something write it down and read that topic until you understand. If you still have questions bring up the case and try to review it with your attending. It builds rapport and shows that you are putting in an effort and not just looking for some algorithm to follow.

good luck!!