Non-Clinical Side Hustle

5 hours ago, ventana said:

crud, I am in the wrong profession... how long to get CDL, airbrakes, tanker, hazmat???  (just asking for a friend...)

Studying for the permit? About 20 hours, throw in a few hundred dollars to rent and practice with a low boy trailer a few times and from start to finish about 3-4 weeks. 

A little late this party but I moved to a cheap city (Baltimore), bought a cheap home to live in, worked and saved for another 2 years, bought another single family home for 133K (+7K in fixes), and have been renting it out for $1500/month since 2018. The rental mortgage is around $800 monthly. Good location, good tenant, solid brick house that haven't needed much besides minor touch ups since bought.

Now I have a bigger family and looking to move to a bigger home at which point I'll also rent my current home for around $1500/month (mortgage around $630/month) as well. As a side note I used to airbnb my basement for 1K per month with steady stream of graduate students staying for several months at a time and did this for 2 years until my son was born. 

My goal is to have 4-5 single family rentals over the next 10-15 years. I max out my 401K and Roth IRA every year while doing this.

I though about teaching but a friend of mine said they were only paid $90 per lecture (1hr) for the first lecture to pay for time making powerpoint but then only $60 afterwards. Not worth it right now but an option later once I want to split my time between doing clinical and nonclinical things. 

I'm also planning to blog on health related topics and may be able get some supplemental income from that as well, but I enjoy writing so no loss if not.

The pandemic has left me burned out but I make good money so I can't leave my job yet but has pushed me to consider other nonclinical things to do at a quicker pace. I see my job now as a place holder until I can replace it completely with some thing else.