Non-Clinical Side Hustle

17 minutes ago, NYCPAC said:

Y’all...this is the second post I’m about to delete since people wanna use this forum to troll one another. If you can’t stay on topic, create your own thread or DM each other to argue. This forum is getting super skewed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok.

So... side hustle.....

You asked about non clinical, but I’ll first touch upon a semi non clinical one... Botox!

You could look to nursing for inspiration. Nursing is like the ultimate job to offer modest income and benefits support to a side hustle due to scheduling flexibility. A part timer can qualify for benefits, and part time is two shifts per week. If you work Sunday and Monday, or Friday and Saturday, that can leave a lot of time to do the other job that doesn’t have as steady of an outlook, but can still be lucrative. I know a nurse contradiction contractor, nurse farmers, nurse realtors, nurse home builders, a nurse home inspector, a nurse gunsmith, nurse personal trainers/fitness fiends, a nurse tattoo artist, a nurse outdoor guide... lots of different side gigs. What gets interesting is when nursing becomes the side gig after the side gig gets lucrative. Sometimes you get to see folks shed nursing to concentrate fully on the non nursing gig. Or return to nursing when the side gig falls through. I think most of us providers would have a little harder time thinking outside the box and stepping away from the security that is offered to us by our clinical work. There’s just enough money to keep temptation at bay, and stifle our courage. Nurses have less of that because they make less. But for me, a side gig would have to have a really good payout to justify integrating it into my life at the expense of more hours working psyche shifts. 

The folks who seem to really be into side gigs are the firefighters. Most of them seem invested in the trades. I known a lot of trades guys who did trades until firefighting panned out, so maybe being a tradesman is a feeder career.

Firefighters tend to get into side gigs because their schedule lends itself well to it: 24 hours on, 48 off.  What can be tough is going from 1 FD job to another.  Shifts tend to start pretty much at the same time, so often you're asking someone to hold over for you until you get there.  If you have a late call, there's a whole daisy chain of issues.

Lived that way for awhile, made doing my PA school pre-reqs possible, don't miss the stress.

Many firefighters tend to be folks that like to work with their hands, so that could be why they also work in the trades.  My totally subjective observation, shared by a number of EM docs I work with, is that EM PA's who were firefighter/medics are often the ones that really like procedures, complicated repairs, etc.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Firefighters tend to get into side gigs because their schedule lends itself well to it: 24 hours on, 48 off.  What can be tough is going from 1 FD job to another.  Shifts tend to start pretty much at the same time, so often you're asking someone to hold over for you until you get there.  If you have a late call, there's a whole daisy chain of issues.

Lived that way for awhile, made doing my PA school pre-reqs possible, don't miss the stress.

Many firefighters tend to be folks that like to work with their hands, so that could be why they also work in the trades.  My totally subjective observation, shared by a number of EM docs I work with, is that EM PA's who were firefighter/medics are often the ones that really like procedures, complicated repairs, etc.

48/72 is probably the best bet for a firefighter schedule with a side gig. 

On 10/13/2019 at 2:40 PM, rsumner said:

Doyou ever consider non-medical ideas for a side hustle?

On 10/14/2019 at 7:15 AM, mgriffiths said:

That is literally what OP's question is about...I suspect troll, but couldn't resist

I'm sorry, not familiar with the acronym OP, and what are you alluding to as a troll?  Lots of bashing on this site!  I was simply asking NYCPAC if he considered other options.  As a PA of over 21 years, medicine can certainly burn one out, especially of time.  So I ALWAYS keep my options open.  Especially if I can also use it to relieve some of the tax burden we all have.

20 hours ago, NYCPAC said:

I’m confused by their site...are you just interpreting labs online or are you at a site drawing labs? What’s the pay like?

I have looked at that site multiple times a day for 3 months and never saw the misspelled word. Some weird kind of blindness. Worse everyone I know has looked at it and either didn't see it or didn't say anything. Such a simple, stupid mistake

I have looked at that site multiple times a day for 3 months and never saw the misspelled word. Some weird kind of blindness. Worse everyone I know has looked at it and either didn't see it or didn't say anything. Such a simple, stupid mistake

I never said anything about misspelled words. I simply asked what it is you’re doing for them and what the incentive is....

On 10/11/2019 at 10:52 PM, cinntsp said:

I suggest signing up for Sermo and similar programs to fill out surveys and participate in research geared towards medical providers.  It's certainly not a second job, but it gets me another $500-1000 of spending money per year with little time invested.

How long did it take before you were offered to do surveys?

I signed up after seeing your post and others on reddit. Not a bad way to spend a morning drinking coffee and doing a quick survey. 

On 10/19/2019 at 5:26 AM, PAtoMD said:

How long did it take before you were offered to do surveys?

I signed up after seeing your post and others on reddit. Not a bad way to spend a morning drinking coffee and doing a quick survey. 

It has been a long time, but as I recall, it probably took a few months to receive them regularly.  They also increase in frequency once you reach $100 and maintain it(preferred status).  Here is a list of a few others so be sure to sign up for all of them to increase your opportunities.  It took a while before I started getting invited to the really worthwhile stuff.  As an example, I did a group phone/video research interview a few weeks ago for an hour and received $300.  Not bad.

8 hours ago, cinntsp said:

It has been a long time, but as I recall, it probably took a few months to receive them regularly.  They also increase in frequency once you reach $100 and maintain it(preferred status).  Here is a list of a few others so be sure to sign up for all of them to increase your opportunities.  It took a while before I started getting invited to the really worthwhile stuff.  As an example, I did a group phone/video research interview a few weeks ago for an hour and received $300.  Not bad.

Oh great. This is fantastic. I just signed up for Medscape’s. I’ll look into these after work today. I was disqualified from a survey earlier since I haven’t worked long enough. 

I have not done any of those but, how about

-  Flip houses?

-  Rental properties in cheap cities and states

- real estate agent

-  Invest in a laundromat

-  Invest in a small business

-  Loan money to small businesses (not family)

-  Invest your money in Stocks and make it work for you while you sleep

• 1 year later...

I'd recommend truck driving. A CDL can be obtained easy and part time truck drivers in the Midwest make about 40-50$ hr. I might renew my DOT physical and go back to driving some. I think part time school bus drivers are 30$+ if you don't mind kids. It's not a ton of money but it turns my mind off from medicine 

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2021 at 8:01 PM, Alli said:

Have you considered mentoring students as a side hustle? You can sign up to mentor pre-health students either virtually or in-person through www.healthcareershadow.com and make money on the side. 

How does this work for payment?  Thanks

On 9/14/2021 at 10:00 PM, kettle said:

I'd recommend truck driving. A CDL can be obtained easy and part time truck drivers in the Midwest make about 40-50$ hr. I might renew my DOT physical and go back to driving some. I think part time school bus drivers are 30$+ if you don't mind kids. It's not a ton of money but it turns my mind off from medicine 

CDL  $50/hr??

wow

2 minutes ago, kettle said:

Yea, buddies drive petroleum 40 hours a week dayshift home every night for 115k a year. CDL with airbrakes, tanker and hazmat endorsements

crud, I am in the wrong profession... how long to get CDL, airbrakes, tanker, hazmat???  (just asking for a friend...)