Hello,

I recently graduated and was offered a New Grad Hospitalist position in the New England area at a community hospital without some specialties and would like some feedback on the offer...

Compensation: $48/hr, annually $99,840, plus incentive bonus (unknown amount), shift differential for night shifts $3/hr

Schedule: 3 12hr shifts, alternating weeks of days and nights, 2 locations couple blocks apart, 6-10pts per day, great coaching and MD support, closed ICU/OBGYN, all surgical emergencies go to larger state hospital nearby

PTO: 280hr allotment for all CME, sick, vacation, holidays, etc

CME: $2500 for all license, DEA, certifications, etc

Added bonus: AAPA Hospitalist bootcamp after 3-6months of starting, covered by the hospital

Benefits: 10K loan reimbursement per year, relocation reimbursement coverage, 403b 3% match first year, then 5% match thereafter; Healthcare, Life insurance, AD&D, malpractice with tail coverage, etc. 

Does this seem like adequate compensation in general, and is that a good differential for nights? How could I negotiate this if at all? The alternating weeks of days and nights sounds rough, how could I configure this? Any other comments or insights are appreciated!

Thanks for your help!

Sounds like a winner to me. Obvious support for a new grad, sending you t boot camp is pretty amazing. Great PTO, salary is competitive, and loan repayment is a bonus. Is this a year contract? If you can't hack the schedule take the experience and find a better job in a year or two.

• Upvote 1

Was the differential already calculated into you salary offer? If so it's probably a little low but the remainder of the offer looks pretty fantastic.

@Arthropathy - I believe its an auto-renewal with the chance to renegotiate annually. but that is my other question for them. I will be bargaining for the chance to renegotiate annually.

@MediMike - I did not consider incorporating the night shift differential, I did the calculations last night and it comes out about 102K. My goal is to ask for a little higher hourly to compensate being the only provider at one location some night shifts and based on the Cost of Living in the area. I think thats reasonable. Or ask for a larger differential for night shifts in general. Those are my points of discussion for them. 

Otherwise, I'm super happy with the offer and excited for the next steps. Thanks for your inputs. 

Yikes. Solo provider huh? Are there other folks on at night in this location? (i.e. intensivist, ED etc.) Or are you going to be responsible for codes/lines/other procedures? Will it be a while before you're solo? And will you have someone available who can help you out with weird stuff easily?

@MediMike - We would not be asked to be the solo until after many months of training and they feel comfortable with us stabilizing a patient to send out to the larger state hospital. They also told me yes there would be support from the other facility, just that it would take them 10-20min to arrive. Or call them by phone. I dont know what their plan is for procedure or if we get additional training for that. I will have to check up on that. Thanks for your advice.

UPDATE:

I had the chance to discuss some of the questions/concerns I had about the offer and they gave me some answers. The loan reimbursement is a one time offering of 10K the first year, and does not renew annually. I am going to try and work that out and get it to be annual. Second, there are 2 bonuses available at $5K each per year which "everyone makes these metrics and earns them". Third, they were unable to "budge" on the salary and therefore I am stuck at $48/hr for my first 2 years, then at year three it bumps to $51. I feel like I should be able to negotiate this even though they claim it to be standard system wide and not adjustable.

What are your thoughts? I've read quite a few posts from you all and would greatly appreciate your seasoned advice. THANKS!

@Arthropathy @MediMike @corpsman89 @LT_Oneal_PAC @CookiePA @camoman1234 @AbeTheBabe

1 hour ago, MiMtMePAC said:

UPDATE:

I had the chance to discuss some of the questions/concerns I had about the offer and they gave me some answers. The loan reimbursement is a one time offering of 10K the first year, and does not renew annually. I am going to try and work that out and get it to be annual. Second, there are 2 bonuses available at $5K each per year which "everyone makes these metrics and earns them". Third, they were unable to "budge" on the salary and therefore I am stuck at $48/hr for my first 2 years, then at year three it bumps to $51. I feel like I should be able to negotiate this even though they claim it to be standard system wide and not adjustable.

What are your thoughts? I've read quite a few posts from you all and would greatly appreciate your seasoned advice. THANKS!

@Arthropathy @MediMike @corpsman89 @LT_Oneal_PAC @CookiePA @camoman1234 @AbeTheBabe

Many places have this standard system. It’s terrible and I hate it, but it exists. The larger the system, the less you can negotiate.

For the amount of people you are seeing, I think it’s fair compensation for a new grad given good match, paid training, good back up.

Pay is a little on the low side, but it's hard to complain with only 6-10 patients per day.  Everything else looks good, but ouch, you'll be rotating days and nights every other week?

The salary doesn't add up. If you do 36 hrs a week (assuming that is full time) @ 48/hr, it comes to about 83k. Even if you do 40 hrs a week, that is 92k. With a base salary of $99,840 and 36 hrs a week, you are making about $57/hr. unless my calculation is way off.

37 minutes ago, futurepa588 said:

The salary doesn't add up. If you do 36 hrs a week (assuming that is full time) @ 48/hr, it comes to about 83k. Even if you do 40 hrs a week, that is 92k. With a base salary of $99,840 and 36 hrs a week, you are making about $57/hr. unless my calculation is way off.

When I multiply 36 hours x 48/hr x 52 weeks, rounding to nearest thousand, I get 90k. I get 53/hr when I divide out 100k.

4 minutes ago, MiMtMePAC said:

@futurepa588 @LT_Oneal_PAC  40hr/week x $48/hr x 52weeks/year = $99840 per year

as listed in my original post, its THREE 12hr shifts per week, but paid for 40hrs (from time to duties outside of clinical practice)

I realize that. Just pointing out there is an error in the math, not just the hours.

I am curious what you are getting at? This is part of the reason I asked for input. Is there something I am missing or something that I overlooked/miscalculated?

I also will be working nights with a small shift differential and that increases my salary too. But I am curious what you are referring. 

again thanks for your time and help @LT_Oneal_PAC

2 hours ago, MiMtMePAC said:

I am curious what you are getting at? This is part of the reason I asked for input. Is there something I am missing or something that I overlooked/miscalculated?

I also will be working nights with a small shift differential and that increases my salary too. But I am curious what you are referring. 

again thanks for your time and help @LT_Oneal_PAC

Oh I was pointing out the other persons math is off. Yours is correct.

As before, I think it’s overall a good offer based on the amount of work and years experience.

On 10/23/2019 at 1:00 PM, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

I realize that. Just pointing out there is an error in the math, not just the hours.

Sorry, I did 36 hrs x 48 = 1728 x 4  x 12 = 83K, but ya if you do 52 weeks, it comes out to 90K and with 40 hrs its 99,840. I think it is good offer.