Accountant to PA?

Hey there! Welcome to the forums.

Similar to medical schools, PA programs are not all that concerned with what undergraduate degree you actually hold. It does, however, make it more difficult for you because I assume you haven't taken many of the prerequisites (general biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, anatomy & physiology, etc.). So, you would have to take those courses and that would take some time.

Most PA programs also require a certain amount of health care experience. Usually it is a 500 to 1000 hour minimum, although successful applicants may have more or less than that depending on other factors. You'll have to spend some time getting your prerequisites and health care experience together to be a successful applicant. If you've previously shown no interest in healthcare it's very important to get good health care experience to show that you're committed to medicine. You'll also need to shadow at least one PA. Most programs require at least one letter of recommendation from a PA.

I know everything involved in getting ready to apply sounds daunting but it's really to your benefit so you can make sure this is really what you want to do. Check around and try searching the forums for more info. There are a lot of career changers on here. Good luck!

I second everything that the person above said, and just want to add that it definitely is doable. My undergrad degree is in labor and industrial relations (basically HR), and I was just accepted into PA school and am starting this fall. It took me a solid 2 years of taking pre-reqs and gaining health care experience part time while working at my old job ( as an executive recruiter) sometimes part time and sometimes full time, depending on my course load each semester.

It is not easy to make such a drastic change, but if you want it bad enough it's absolutely possible.

eewee and hitzgrl123,

Thank you very much for the informative replies. You both have given me confidence to seriously pursue this. Also, after fulfilling all prerequisites and requirements, just how difficult is it to obtain entrance into a PA program?

Statistically, I suppose it's quite difficult. Over the last few years, applications to PA programs have gone way up. For example, in 2008 the UC Davis PA/FNP program had 270 applicants for 60 seats. In 2010 they had 1252 applicants for the same seats. This is probably one of the more extreme cases but obviously it got really competitive really fast. Average GPAs still tend to be low (3.3 to 3.4) compared to most medical schools (3.6 to 3.7) but there seems to be an upward trend in GPA each year.

As I'm sure you understand, the higher your GPA is and the more health care experience you have, the more attractive your application will look compared to other applicants. You're lucky in a sense because your science GPA is basically a clean slate right now. I would like to start over and retake courses I took at 17 when I wasn't so responsible! You have a great shot. You just have to put in the hours and make sure medicine is your "thing."

Claudius,

Good to see another accountant on here! I am currently going through the application process for the first time, so I don't have much advice to add to what everyone else has said, but will echo the need to get some good (ie, paid) HCE and shadowing hours. If you get exceptional grades on your prereqs, that will help a lot, but remember, you'll be competing with others who have similar grades, but thousands of hours of HCE as well. This was the advice I was given from PAs, PA students, and schools (I was told that despite a 4.0 science GPA, with no paid HCE, I stood little chance of getting in).

I worked 9 years for a Fortune 100 company in various roles (cost acctg, 6 Sigma, pricing, procurement & logistics), before quitting and picking up an EMT. I volunteered in the ED of a local hospital for a couple of months before they hired me on as an ER Tech. This has helped boost my application since, in addition to the HCE, I was able to pick up recommendations from both a D.O. and P.A. (it's my understanding that most schools could care less if a recommendation came from a boss or employer outside of healthcare).

If you do work as an accountant initially, it probably won't hurt your application if you can show progressive (ie, upward) job moves and leadership roles. Many of the "soft" skills such as teamwork, communication with various levels of mgmt and other functional groups, and working with limited resources are very useful in any profession. Just be sure that when the time comes to apply to PA school, you effectively communicate how these skills will enhance your success as a student and as a PA.

There's a lot of competition for slots, so just because you can "check" off the boxes on an application checklist, there is no guarantee of acceptance. It can be a tough choice to make as accounting can be quite lucrative! That said, if you really want something, you need to go after it with all that you got - remember how the US went from ballistic missiles to the Apollo 11 moon landings in less than 10 yrs using slide rules?

Best of luck!

Hi, just wanted to also weigh in as another "career changer." I was a sociology major in my undergrad - though I had to go back to school for nearly 2 years to do my pre-reqs, I think that having a non-traditional background actually HELPED me get into school- I'm starting August, 2012. Remember that you will be competing against lots and lots of 22 year-old bio majors (absolutely nothing wrong with that) and you will stick out simply by being different. If you have the grades and experience to back it up, you have the advantage because you can grab their ear, so to speak.

Just to reiterate about the grades, however - PA is very, very competitive academically. The average GPA for my incoming class is 3.6 and average GRE is 1170. It will help that as an adult student, you'll probably be incredibly focused and motivated. As a 'non-science' undergrad, I could not believe how hard some of my classes were. I spent lots of extra time studying and was very organized and determined - I can tell you A's never felt that good as a Soc major! :=D:

The biggest - and for some reason hardest to answer -question you will get as you're applying and in your interviews is "WHY do you want to be a PA?" I highly recommend that you use the next few years of gaining experience and finishing your pre-reqs to not only answer that question solidly for yourself, but also use your real-world experiences to back it up.

3 years ago, I quit my job as a non-profit manager, took an executive assistant job at an HIV clinic, became and EMT and worked for a year before starting my pre-reqs full time. I know it seems overwhelming at first, but if you can find a very compelling answer as to why you want to be a PA, all of the sacrifices are worth it. I am so excited to start my program!!

Best of luck! Go for it!

If you can take some summer science classes; ie. Gen.Chem I then Gen.Chem II; then, in the fall you can take O.Chem/Bio Chem.

Summer classes are condensed but can save you serious time, if you can swing it.

My class had a girl that was an accountant, she was very bright & did fine.

Like stated earlier, other than getting ur science classes in; getting HCE is another obstacle.

You may consider EMT, can get certified in 1 semester at CC.

Most of the services are always looking for folks, mine paid for my training, test & license as long as I volunteered for x amount of time. it was a win/win.

Best of LUck!

My BS is in computer science. I went back and took the various prereqs at the local community college affiliated with a 4 year university, plus biochem at the 4 year school. My healthcare experience came volunteer and part-time work as a firefighter/paramedic. I was accepted at both of the PA schools I applied to. It can be done. Go visit some schools and talk to them, their opinions matter the most. My experience was that schools didn't care about what your degree was, just whether you had good grades, had all the prereqs, had at least some healthcare experience, and interviewed well.

When I was applying, schools had about 10 applicants for every seat. However, more than half of those applicants didn't meet the requirements and were automatic rejects. Approximately 3 students were invited to interview for every slot. Many of those students interviewed multiple places. So, get the prereqs with good grades, get the HCE, and use your work experience to help with your interview skills. Good luck.

I'm happy to learn that I'm not the only one going through this. And from what I'm learning there have been many succesful applicants with non-science degrees. I find that it can be discouraging when so many applicants have a science degree, however, I'm still diving in head-first because I have the desire to become a PA. And I'm driven to do everything I can to make it happen. I'm just hoping I don't break my neck in the process...

I have a BBA in Marketing and worked 13 years as an Advertising Executive. However, I was also enlisted in the Air Force for 4+ years in medical administration before obtaining my degree. I also worked in an Emergency Department for 2 years while in school. Granted, I didn't gain a lot of patient contact, per say, but I learned a lot.

I went back to school and obtained "all" (for most schools) of my prerequisites, while volunteering at clinics and hospitals. I also shadowed four PAs and gaining national and state certification as an EMT. I'm hoping to hear back from the Fire Department soon regarding my EMT application as well.

The way the PA profession is growing, I feel PAs with a business or administrative background will be in more demand. They'll be looking for leaders. So, try to think of this as a huge positive toward reaching your goals. At least that's what I tell myself!

Archived